New to the Fiero world. by Brian T. Brown
Started on: 11-21-2010 06:34 PM
Replies: 34
Last post by: Brian T. Brown on 11-27-2010 06:54 PM
Brian T. Brown

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian T. BrownSend a Private Message to Brian T. BrownDirect Link to This Post
Hey everybody, Im new to the Fiero world and to this forum. But Im not new to the 3800 supercharged Grand Prixs GTP. I now own a 1987 Fiero GT Fastback. I also own 2 Grand Prix GTP. One is a 2000 that is a parts car sense this past may and the other is a 1998 2 door purple GTP, which is my daily driver. My plans are to swap my extra supercharged 3800 into my Fiero. The motor will have pleanty of mods. Any help from you guys will be needed. I really need to know wheres the best place to buy stuff for the motor swap. Like motor and transmission mount to start off with first. Im not sure if I sould use the Fiero's getrag 5 speed or just use the 3800 HD transmision.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the madness. Anything you ask, us members here will sure to assist you with any questions. By the way V8 Archie is not far from you.

Cordially,
Kevin
Brian T. Brown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian T. BrownSend a Private Message to Brian T. BrownDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

Welcome to the madness. Anything you ask, us members here will sure to assist you with any questions. By the way V8 Archie is not far from you.

Cordially,
Kevin

Who is V8 Archie?
elitopr

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for elitoprClick Here to visit elitopr's HomePageSend a Private Message to elitoprDirect Link to This Post
Archie is one of the best on Fiero world!!!!! go to www.v8archie.com
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post11-21-2010 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
The wealth of knowledge is at ClubGP. I imagine you're already a member there. They're much farther ahead of the curb in regards to the 3800 and knowledge base. This forum is good for getting the small details you'll need to shoehorn the engine in once it's already built. Archie is a guy that's been installing V8's in Fiero's out of Machesney Park, IL - completely irrelevant to the V6 scene.

[This message has been edited by L67 (edited 11-21-2010).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Yes but if im correct archie does not do V6 swapps. or so i have heard. Welcome to the forum.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your project come to life.
pete 2m4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Direct Link to This Post
congrats and welcome!!!! fiero people are awesome. best of luck on your project!!!
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-21-2010 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brian T. Brown:

I really need to know wheres the best place to buy stuff for the motor swap. Like motor and transmission mount to start off with first. I'm not sure if I sould use the Fiero's getrag 5 speed or just use the 3800 HD transmision.

There isn't a best place to buy mounts from.
*There's West Coast Fiero - but there may be a wait while they catch up on fabrication.
*Purple Reign - He's swamped and it may be up to 5 months before you get what you payed for.
*FieroX - Not really sure about speed, but I know its a quality mount.
*Build them yourself - my choice solution.

If you use the standard Getrag 5 speed that comes with your Fiero, you'll only need to build a front engine mount. The 5 speed should withstand anything you put through the 3800 with the M90. The 4T65HD will require custom mounts and custom axles being your car is already a manual transmission car, not to mention removing the clutch pedal, new shifter cable, radiator, and coolant lines to it from the transmission. Wiring harnesses can be sourced here, or you can build you own.

The swap is very straightforward. Don't take for granted the search option at the top of the page - you should be able to find anything regarding the swap via a search.

[This message has been edited by L67 (edited 11-21-2010).]

Brian T. Brown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian T. BrownSend a Private Message to Brian T. BrownDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. The info is very helpful. Yeah, im a member of the grand prix forums. I just figured Id join this and some other Fiero forums too.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-21-2010 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Check out RealFieroTech.com if you get a chance, there's a lot of a good information in the public tech forums.
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

Cordially,
Kevin

No It is a drive for him to archies.
convertableindy3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for convertableindy3Send a Private Message to convertableindy3Direct Link to This Post
Hello and welcome to PFF! I've been here since '96! (Fierogt86, convertableindy, convertableindy2 and now convertableindy3) I've meet great people here over the years. Ive bought and sold many parts. I've owned 14 Fieros over the years (Gt's, 2M6's, Convertibles,SE's and Indys) and love them! You will find a wealth of knowledge and parts here!! :0)
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
Welcome from another Hoosier
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the family... There are plenty of people that are veeery knowledgable about this swap... Good Luck, OH, WE NEED PICS... SmoothGT

------------------
Steve
aka. SmoothGT
NotAFieroAnyLonger
CURRENT BUILD:
" SmoothGT-'w8nc' "
1987 Fiero V8/hybrid
1995 Lexus SC-400

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
welcome to the forum Brian

Originally posted by L67:
Check out RealFieroTech.com if you get a chance, there's a lot of a good information in the public tech forums.

L67 hummm ... you sound like someone we know ...maybe you should join V8Archie crew but something tells me that you already tried ...and why would you refer him to that site ?? This forum contains all the info he needs and more... as to RFT they are haters and have nothing more to do but put down everybody from this forum... maybe we could get Cliff to validate your IP and your identity

------------------

http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 11-22-2010).]

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-22-2010 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:
L67 hummm ... you sound like someone we know and why would you refer him to that site ?? This forum contains all the info he needs and more... as to RFT they are haters and have nothing more to do but put down everybody from this forum... maybe we could get Cliff to validate your IP and your identity

That is a rather pretentious remark. I wouldn't be too quick to jump everyone and anyone you please, you might jump the wrong person someday. However, I will respond to you with more respect than you have shown me.

Let me respond to each of your queries.
If you believe that I am Shaun, or am acting in anyway like Shaun, I would invite you to get to know Shaun; you'll find that we're quite different. This forum, while large and rather resourceful, does not supply "all" of the information that he may need, which is why I referred Brian to ClubGP in my first post. Pennocks Fiero Forum may supply you personally with everything you need, and if so that's wonderful, but there are many other venues to choose from when considering his expressed desire to use the 3800. Many of us Fiero guru's, myself included, use ClubGP to our advantage (FieroX, Jncomutt, Dark Horizon, MustangsBeware, Purple Reign, et cetera). Why would I also recommend Real Fiero Tech? Why wouldn't I recommend Real Fiero Tech? The majority of members there are veterans of this very forum, once again this includes myself. As I stated above, many of the public accessible forums are full of information that is good to know, and some of it can not be found here or anywhere else. The more knowledgeable Brian is, the greater his chances of being successful in his endeavors. That is why I have posted what I have, and that is why I am a member of this forum.

Danyel, what you've brought into this thread is political, and it does not belong here. Questioning my legitimacy to post on an open web forum, and bringing up politics in an introduction forum is something that Shaun Hammitt would do. Are you Shaun Hammitt? Do me a favor and try to be constructive.

[This message has been edited by L67 (edited 11-22-2010).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
oh snap!

My contribution to this thread ---- \/
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079560.html
------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 11-22-2010).]

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Welcome to PFF we are glad to have you and I cant wait to see where your Fiero interests take you and us! Learn how to use PIP, post lots of pictures, and have fun!

And..
Danyel, I sent you a pM.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 11-22-2010).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by convertableindy3:

I've been here since '96!

You must've been kind of lonely here for the first three years, until all the rest of us joined from 1999 onwards.

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

oh snap!

My contribution to this thread ---- \/
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079560.html

Nice contribution! Never seen that thread before. *Favorited*

Welcome to the madness Brian!

(hmmm after a few of those previous posts, madness does seem to fit this place pretty darn well!)
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
L67 and Tbone ..... I do understand I came across pretty hard.... but RFT has done me ALOT of wrong and also postin that I am a $#@@#$$ for helping Tylers Toy come alive ......which is totally bull$hit how can the administrators of RFT allow krap like that... what kind of morals do they have for someone trying to help a dying young man out.......so anyone who refers to that JUNK site has some serious thinking to do ... they spend all their days talking about "" Old Europe"" This forum HAS ALL the info you need about Fieros ....if its not here ASK you'll be helped out even given a hand to do it !!!
without prejudice ...

OH Brian did I say welcome to the forum
Danyel
admin Tylers Toy
Russ88TTop

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ88TTopClick Here to visit Russ88TTop's HomePageSend a Private Message to Russ88TTopDirect Link to This Post
Welcome,
Only 20 miles away
Russ
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-22-2010 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

L67 and Tbone ..... I do understand I came across pretty hard.... but RFT has done me ALOT of wrong and also postin that I am a $#@@#$$ for helping Tylers Toy come alive ......which is totally bull$hit how can the administrators of RFT allow krap like that... what kind of morals do they have for someone trying to help a dying young man out.......so anyone who refers to that JUNK site has some serious thinking to do ... they spend all their days talking about "" Old Europe"" This forum HAS ALL the info you need about Fieros ....if its not here ASK you'll be helped out even given a hand to do it !!!
without prejudice ...
y

Just because you can't get along there doesn't make it a bad technical source in the least. By the same merit, I could go to Central Florida's Fiero forum and say, "PFF has done me ALOT of wrong, member Danyel questioning my integrity and right to post there, lashing out at me with agenda. What kind of morals does Danyel have to do something like that? How could the administrators of PFF allow Danyel to continue to be a member there?! That forum is junk and anyone that refers you there has some serious thinking to do.. blah blah blah." I would never do this of course because I am a mature, rational, adult. I am proud to say that I am a member of Real Fiero Tech, and will refer someone there as I see fit. I don't personally spend all of my time there talking about PFF, once again its pretentious of you to pretend to know anything about me. I have a build thread there, and have contributed in many many technical threads, as I have a build thread here and am contributing technical advice in even this thread. It seems that you have a lot of emotional baggage that you need to take care of. This kind of behavior is only going to make you enemies. Stop being prejudiced please (particularly towards me). Also, you've offered up two welcomes, but nothing in the form of technical advice. Do you know anything about how to put a 3800 into a Fiero? That's why we're here, to help Brian put a 3800 in his Fiero, isn't it?
Brian T. Brown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian T. BrownSend a Private Message to Brian T. BrownDirect Link to This Post
Ok Ok OK...its all good. Please dont piss on my thread. I fully understand all this. Im a 40 year old man that know bullsh*t when I see it. So...I guess im sayn to all thanks for the heads up on the different forums but i was once into the older front wheel drive turbo dodges( I once had a 1986 Dodge Omni GLH turbo). I used to all the forums MADNESS, LOL. Im an getn the info freak. Ive wanted to do a Fiero and this swap over the past odd years so bad, like wantn to pop my wifes trunk even though she wont let me, LMAO. I wanna start off on getn the motor mounts and a dog bone first then I wanna get an extra engine/trans cradle so I can mount everything on the cradle and when I ready just do a swap. My 3800 is gonna use a GEN V supercharger, PRJ Performance LL cam, SLP 1.8 roller rocker arm kit, SLP knock off stainless headers, northstar throtlebody kit from ZZP. Theres prob more but cant remember at the moment.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-22-2010 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Depending on which transmission you use: you can use the aluminum 3800 dogbone mounting point with the automatic transmission, but you will want to get one made out of steel when using the manual transmission - the shock load snaps the aluminum in half. Either way, you can use a stock V6 dogbone, which is nice.

Here's a picture of the 3800 I had in my car for a while. I snapped two aluminum dogbone mounts with the getrag.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-22-2010 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

L67

1792 posts
Member since Jun 2010
Here's what Jncomutt did back in 2007 for a dogbone. It's still holding up to 518rwhp:

Originally posted by Jncomutt

The other problem was the dogbone mount. I am using rodney poly lower mounts, and his adj dogbone with a modified GTP bracket. Due to the machining reqd to fit right, it weakened the bracket. I had it welded once, and it snapped again. I decided to just go ahead and weld one up out of 1/4" steel. So far, its been perfect.

Old broken mount

mock up

test fit..

and painted

Brian T. Brown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2010 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian T. BrownSend a Private Message to Brian T. BrownDirect Link to This Post
Is he making that dog bone bracket to sell to others? And how do I put pics on this site?

[This message has been edited by Brian T. Brown (edited 11-26-2010).]

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-26-2010 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
No I don't believe he is. You could of course always pm him and ask.

Pictures:

Here's a link:
http://www.freakingnews.com...Aflac-Duck-58440.jpg

Now, if I post the link in the middle of tags "[img]" "[/img]" like so:
[img]http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/58000/Geico-Gecko-versus-Aflac-Duck-58440.jpg[/img]

You end up with this:
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2010 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Brian T I do opologize ... not my style to cause havoc on forums ....I'll deal with Mr L67 elsewhere........ I done a V8 swap and lambo doors on my car if there is anything I can help ya with give me a shout ... if parts are canadian side I can help ya there too ..........again so sorry did not mean to scrap thread in any way ...

Danyel
admin(at) tylerstoy(dot)com

------------------

http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

Brian T. Brown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2010 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian T. BrownSend a Private Message to Brian T. BrownDirect Link to This Post

Brian T I do opologize ... not my style to cause havoc on forums ....I'll deal with Mr L67 elsewhere........ I done a V8 swap and lambo doors on my car if there is anything I can help ya with give me a shout ... if parts are canadian side I can help ya there too ..........again so sorry did not mean to scrap thread in any way ...

Danyel
admin(at) tylerstoy(dot)com

Its all good dude. And Thank you for the help.

------------------
Brian T. Brown
1987 Fiero GT Fastback
1998 Grand Prix GTP

PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum, Brian. Use the "Pennock's Image Poster" button on the bottem of the page to install PIP. Works real well and images won't disappear in time, leaving red X's in your build thread...

Bob
Brian T. Brown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian T. BrownSend a Private Message to Brian T. BrownDirect Link to This Post
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-27-2010 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
You only need one windshield wiper for that new windshield?
Brian T. Brown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian T. BrownSend a Private Message to Brian T. BrownDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

You only need one windshield wiper for that new windshield?

LMAO, yeah I do need a few parts for it. Besides needing the passenger side wiper I also need the small ground effect piece on the passenger side of the car.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock