Paint gun/ paint recommendations? by grkboy707
Started on: 11-18-2010 06:16 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-19-2010 12:47 PM
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Looking to see if I can paint my Fiero for substantially less than a $1500 paint job. I'd like to get a nice gun and paint. Anything on the gun? Is Duplicolor Color Shop, or whatever, a good paint to use? The guy who painted my last car said it needed "Flex agent".
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
A Sharpe HVLP gun and Dupont ChromaBase paint and clear will be a perfect choice.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
A 40 dollar Harbor freight gun, Dupont Chromabase paint, Trans star clear, wetsanding and buffing gave me the resuls you see on the Camaro and Firebird in this thread.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083381.html

Kevin
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Craaaaap. My dads furious that I even thought of doing the work myself. Looks like its off to the paint shop

Thanks anyway though, hopefully this thread will come in handy to someone else

Btw, LAMBONUT- are you just an amateur painter, or professional? Like, is the Camaro your best piece, or an average? Very nice work!

[This message has been edited by grkboy707 (edited 11-18-2010).]

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
Now that's a tuff one to answer. I do get paid to fix and paint cars, but don't do it every day. Have my own four bay garage with a paint both that I built. Camaro is my personal car and would be an average job for me. Been working on them since 15 and am now 44. I have done blending of panels and repair on newer cars. Not a "Pro" but I guess I would use the term highly advanced beginner.
Thanks for the compliment.

Kevin
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Now that's a tuff one to answer. I do get paid to fix and paint cars, but don't do it every day. Have my own four bay garage with a paint both that I built. Camaro is my personal car and would be an average job for me. Been working on them since 15 and am now 44. I have done blending of panels and repair on newer cars. Not a "Pro" but I guess I would use the term highly advanced beginner.
Thanks for the compliment.

Kevin

Ahhh thats what I was afraid of. See, I'm at the beginning of your scale, so mine wouldnt quite look so nice. I was really hoping you wee gonna say it was one of the first paint jobs you've done.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Dont know anything about the guns but. If your taking the pannels off the car make sure when you paint them you place them as if they were sitting on the car. Meaning if you take the fender off paint it hanging sideways off the rack. makes it come out better and flow with the car when finished.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

Ahhh thats what I was afraid of. See, I'm at the beginning of your scale, so mine wouldnt quite look so nice. I was really hoping you wee gonna say it was one of the first paint jobs you've done.

In all honesty, my first paint job did look pretty much that good also. It was on a 71 Ford Maverick, but was with 81 Cadillac metallic blue laquer paint. Wet sanded and buffed. It is not that hard really. Or maybe I should say, it never seemed hard for me. Just practice on something small to start with. Plus base/clear is somewhat forgiving. Proper prep, paint, clear, let set overnight then sand and buff. The painting/clearing actually takes the least amout of time of the whole process.

Kevin

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
The more you talk about it, the more I want to do it! I really wish my dad would let me
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Duplicolor is just about goof proof, but it is lacquer. Its not as durable without care, and HAS to be buffed to shine up. for a one timer, a cheap Harbor Freight gun is just fine...I use them myself on used cars, spraying glue, undercoating and anything else that will pour. Basecoat/clearcoat is more durable than all the others, needs no upkeep, but a screw up takes some time to fix. Overspray from it dries rock hard, so anything in the area your painting in will become covered permanently with it. I have to razor blade scrape and steelwool my garage TV screen all the time to see it.

As for flex agent.....It and adhesion sealer are about as worthless as used doggy dodo.

I own my own paint and body shop...........over 45 years.

------------------

Owner / Operator Custom Paint and Body...
specializing in Corvette & Higher End Autos for 45 years
Ferrari, Mercedes and Porsche Body Repair Approved

toys: '66 custom Dodge 'Super Bee'
power by 413 SuperStock V8
2008 Mustang Bullet Edition
1977 Cessna 172XP Hawk HiPerf

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave