Just bought my 88 GT yesterday by FuryArrow
Started on: 11-17-2010 01:20 AM
Replies: 26
Last post by: Tommy on 11-18-2010 11:24 PM
FuryArrow

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2010 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FuryArrowClick Here to visit FuryArrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to FuryArrowDirect Link to This Post
I'm not into speed and power. Been there, done that with my 2005 GTO M6. I actually like the stock sound and power of the GT. I have what I need to do a swap, but I'm kind of back peddling. My GT is straight as a board, and the interior is a 7 out if 10. A 10 out of 10 considering its age and 150k miles. Just needs to be detailed, and the body needs new paint. All mechanicals and electricals are in excellentcondition, exceptthe windshieldwiper only works in one speed, a/c doesn't work, fuel guage inaccurate (learned the hard way today), temp guage does't work, so previous owner connected an external guage, and the parking brake works, but seems quarky.

I have wanted one of these since 86 when I was in grade school, now, IT'S MINE!

Should I keep it stock? I'm going to do paint. Its currently silver with black stock rims. All tires are correct size. No engine mods. Only mods to the car are lowered springs, and Koni adjustable shocks in the rear. I love the grunt of the little 2.8 at idle and throttle.

[This message has been edited by FuryArrow (edited 11-17-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
You're not the only one that appreciates the sound of the 2.8, I dig it too! Welcome to the forum! If you get a chance, upload some pics of your car.
sadie goad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sadie goadSend a Private Message to sadie goadDirect Link to This Post
Oooh, sounds like a nice pick up! If you're into the stock thing (I love the growl my dad's stock 88 GT has) I think you should just make her sparkle and feel good as new again. There's nothing wrong with putting a more perky engine in there if you want though, it's not like the world isn't at your fingertips with options. I'm into both stock and modified so for me it would entirely depend on the condition of the car. My dad has a completely 100% stock down to the original tires car whereas mine is getting prepped for an engine swap this spring. It's all up to the workload you want and the sound you can get. Since you seem to have a good car, I don't see why you wouldn't keep her pretty stock with a few upgrades here and there. Ultimately, it's your car, and follow your heart! It's nice to see the stock Fieros sticking around though, I won't lie about that one. Good luck!

EDIT: And welcome to the madness, I mean the family!

[This message has been edited by sadie goad (edited 11-17-2010).]

FuryArrow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2010 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FuryArrowClick Here to visit FuryArrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to FuryArrowDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. Pics coming shortly as soon as I get my daughters clothes ready for school tomorrow. I think I'm staying stock. They will be worth more in 50 years. Lol. As for paint, should I keep it silver, or something custom?
sadie goad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sadie goadSend a Private Message to sadie goadDirect Link to This Post
I would say that if you are mechanically (for the most part) staying stock, sticking to the original color wouldn't be a bad idea, especially considering that it's an '88. However, as I stated prior, it is in fact your car, so if you have your heart set on Electric Green or something, go for it! If it were me I would repaint the same shade of silver (though, it is tough not to want to paint it slate grey... mmm...) to keep with the 'stock' theme.
FuryArrow

Leave feedback

User Banned

FuryArrow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2010 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FuryArrowClick Here to visit FuryArrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to FuryArrowDirect Link to This Post

FuryArrow

130 posts
Member since Nov 2010
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
instead of the URL codes, this forum uses [img] link [/img] tags.

click the "quote" button on my post if you'd like.

oh, Nice Fiero btw!

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 11-17-2010).]

FuryArrow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2010 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FuryArrowClick Here to visit FuryArrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to FuryArrowDirect Link to This Post
FuryArrow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2010 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FuryArrowClick Here to visit FuryArrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to FuryArrowDirect Link to This Post

FuryArrow

130 posts
Member since Nov 2010

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

instead of the URL codes, this forum uses [img] link [/img] tags.

click the "quote" button on my post if you'd like.

oh, Nice Fiero btw!

Thanks, and sorry, I have no home computer, and this is all I know how to link photos on my Droid X.

FuryArrow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2010 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FuryArrowClick Here to visit FuryArrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to FuryArrowDirect Link to This Post

FuryArrow

130 posts
Member since Nov 2010
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
I'll help you out, love both cars. Definitely a fan of the blue 6.0

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
I throw a penny in the pot on this one. Freshen it up but keep it for the most part stock - that's a pretty tidy '88. Clean it up, fix the broken bits and enjoy it.

------------------

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Stock 88 silver GT???? I would keep it stock. If I am not mistaken that is the rarest car of all the Fieros including Pace Cars. I too love the sound of the stock motor. But I also love the sound of the 4.9L caddy motor...so one of each! Heck, even the pace car 4 with the duel exhausts sounds pretty good (not as good as teh others). I would freshen up that silver one. Bring it back and change the motor when you have to. Jeremy at the Fiero Factory has a room full of 2.8s so fret not about getting one. Just my two cents.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 11-17-2010).]

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Welcome!

I would keep it stock for now and take care of the little things first. You can enjoy/drive the car while your doing so (engine swaps tend to take the car out of commission for a few months). After all the little problems are taken care of; make your decision then as to whether or not you want to tackle an engine swap. If you like to tinker, you could freshen-up the suspension. Doing so is a big improvement in ride quality and handling on a 22yro car...
FuryArrow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2010 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FuryArrowClick Here to visit FuryArrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to FuryArrowDirect Link to This Post
I'll help you out, love both cars. Definitely a fan of the blue 6.0
I REALLY appreciate your help. Thanks a lot! And to everyone else, thanks for helping me decide. Looks like I saved money and still have a nice ride! Stock engine (until I need a new one) Silver factory paint it is! I had no idea the silver 88 GT was so rare. Where can I find the build #'S? I suppose I can goggle it.

[This message has been edited by FuryArrow (edited 11-17-2010).]

FuryArrow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2010 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FuryArrowClick Here to visit FuryArrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to FuryArrowDirect Link to This Post

FuryArrow

130 posts
Member since Nov 2010
BTW, The front clip is from an 86 GT.
FuryArrow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2010 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FuryArrowClick Here to visit FuryArrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to FuryArrowDirect Link to This Post

FuryArrow

130 posts
Member since Nov 2010
And thanks 1988HollyFormula for help with the photos. And to everyone else for their input. I will stuck to the stock engine (until necessary), and stick with the stock color. I had no idea mine was so rare! Where can I find the build numbers with the color breakdown? I suppose i can google it.
FuryArrow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2010 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FuryArrowClick Here to visit FuryArrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to FuryArrowDirect Link to This Post

FuryArrow

130 posts
Member since Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Stock 88 silver GT???? I would keep it stock. If I am not mistaken that is the rarest car of all the Fieros including Pace Cars. I too love the sound of the stock motor. But I also love the sound of the 4.9L caddy motor...so one of each! Heck, even the pace car 4 with the duel exhausts sounds pretty good (not as good as teh others). I would freshen up that silver one. Bring it back and change the motor when you have to. Jeremy at the Fiero Factory has a room full of 2.8s so fret not about getting one. Just my two cents.

http://www.fieroquebec.ca/en/his/production.html

Looks like the yellow beat the silver in rarity by 16! Lol. But I guess I DO have a rare one.

Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking GT. By all means keep it stock if you want to. They do sound cool.

Larry

------------------

"Life is short.
Drink the good wine first"

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FuryArrow:

Pics coming shortly...

FuryArrow, nice looking GT.

It you'd like people to admire your Fiero years from now in this forum, please read the following thread... Please Help Fight the Red X

PFF
System Bot
tiretread

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tiretreadSend a Private Message to tiretreadDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, another GTO owner with a Fiero. I can't wait to get my damn car (Fiero) running.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Should I keep it stock? I'm going to do paint. Its currently silver with black stock rims. All tires are correct size. No engine mods. Only mods to the car are lowered springs, and Koni adjustable shocks in the rear. I love the grunt of the little 2.8 at idle and throttle.

If you want to retain the sound and increase the power a 3.4 PR swap with do that for you, and it is relatively easy to do.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the madness or as some might say the addiction. You do have a nice car and I think that is the first silver 88 GT that I have seen. The 88's are different on some items, so when it comes time to replace wearable items, just ask some of the 88 owners!

Steve W.
NE Grand Rapids, MI
88 Coupe
Tommy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommySend a Private Message to TommyDirect Link to This Post
i had a silver 04 GTO M6. Not much, not even my 68 Firebirds exhaust sound compared to the GTO while leisurely cruising down the highway. The exhaust sound was probably the best feature of the GTO.

I'd like to read a road test comparison of the GTO to the GT since I am looking for a manual GT, preferably 88.

[This message has been edited by Tommy (edited 11-17-2010).]

FuryArrow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2010 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FuryArrowClick Here to visit FuryArrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to FuryArrowDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tommy:

i had a silver 04 GTO M6. Not much, not even my 68 Firebirds exhaust sound compared to the GTO while leisurely cruising down the highway. The exhaust sound was probably the best feature of the GTO.

I'd like to read a road test comparison of the GTO to the GT since I am looking for a manual GT, preferably 88.

I'm staying away from the GTO/GT comparro on this forum! but I finally had a chance to do some real driving in the GT today, through winding roads and mountains. It felt like it accelerated much faster than the 7.1 0-60 claim! Going up long slopes, winding roads, etc., aster 144 miles of traveling, I used 5.555 gallons of gas. That's 25.923 mpg. Not bad! Without all the turns and hills, I could have got 28. Has lots of fun. BTW, I came upon hard times and sold my GTO not long ago. Soon after, my luck changed for the better. Had the option to buy another GTO, but decided to go for a couple Range Rover Classics, & the Fiero. I'm very satisfied.

Tommy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommySend a Private Message to TommyDirect Link to This Post

I'm staying away from the GTO/GT comparro on this forum! but I finally had a chance to do some real driving in the GT today, through winding roads and mountains. It felt like it accelerated much faster than the 7.1 0-60 claim! Going up long slopes, winding roads, etc., aster 144 miles of traveling, I used 5.555 gallons of gas. That's 25.923 mpg. Not bad! Without all the turns and hills, I could have got 28. Has lots of fun. BTW, I came upon hard times and sold my GTO not long ago. Soon after, my luck changed for the better. Had the option to buy another GTO, but decided to go for a couple Range Rover Classics, & the Fiero. I'm very satisfied.
hard times - yep, I know that.
I liked what the GTO was able to do, I didnt like how it got there. I was able to take a turn about as fast as i could in my worked 93 Z28 but the lack of feeling through the steering wheel, etc. left me uninspired. Although, of all the cars Ive owned in the last 30 years if I had to choose one car as an only car and it had to have a fixed roof the GTO would be it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock