Lumbar Seats by FirstDrCar
Started on: 11-12-2010 05:41 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: FirstDrCar on 11-13-2010 12:03 PM
FirstDrCar

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post
Has anybody ever used the Lumbar function from an 88 Fiero GT seat... http://www.fiero.net/seats/88lumbar.html , and transfered it to the seats in their Fiero, whichever one they have?

Is this even possible?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85FieroGreg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGregSend a Private Message to 85FieroGregDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if you mean taking the controls from an 88 and installing them in any other Fiero or if you mean using any other controls from a completely different car. I would think that any controls would work unless you are like me and want to go with the original. There were only 861 lumbar seats ever made (I own 2 of them) I think that if you were to hollow out the foam in the back of the seats from any year Fiero to accommodate the bladders and got a couple of motors that you might be able to pull it off. Just need to splice into the wiring and run some tubing for the air to fill the bladders.(I think) I bought 2 sets of bladders from Rodney. Not sure if he has any more available.
FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85FieroGreg:

Not sure if you mean taking the controls from an 88 and installing them in any other Fiero or if you mean using any other controls from a completely different car. I would think that any controls would work unless you are like me and want to go with the original. There were only 861 lumbar seats ever made (I own 2 of them) I think that if you were to hollow out the foam in the back of the seats from any year Fiero to accommodate the bladders and got a couple of motors that you might be able to pull it off. Just need to splice into the wiring and run some tubing for the air to fill the bladders.(I think) I bought 2 sets of bladders from Rodney. Not sure if he has any more available.

What I meant was taking the bladders out of the lumbar seats, somehow fit them in a different seat, like one from an 84, and hook up the controls in the same area in those 84 seats where they were originally in the 88 seats. Here are the bladders from Rodney... http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=24&products_id=211 . Now I wonder where the control part on the seat can be bought from...
85FieroGreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGregSend a Private Message to 85FieroGregDirect Link to This Post
Like I said, it should work if you hollow out the foam in the back of the seats to accommodate the bladders. I am aware of the link to Rodney's products as I stated I purchased a set of bladders from him. Are you looking for an original set of controls? Or will any controls be good for you?
85FieroGreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGregSend a Private Message to 85FieroGregDirect Link to This Post

85FieroGreg

91 posts
Member since Apr 2009
Also, from an personal experience,if you buy a set of lumbar seats and take them apart, the bladders will crumble in your hands. (unless of course someone before you has already purchased a set of bladders from Rodney and replaced them)
Max The Chainsaw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
I am sure Mike Murphy put the Lumbar into an Indy seat, or put an Indy seat cover on a lumbar seat for his car.

Max
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
should look and see if Z31 seats are usable in fieros. I'll take a measurement later...they have a whole bunch of stuff in the seats and the controls are right on the seat.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Like I said, it should work if you hollow out the foam in the back of the seats to accommodate the bladders. I am aware of the link to Rodney's products as I stated I purchased a set of bladders from him. Are you looking for an original set of controls? Or will any controls be good for you?

You don't need to hollow out the seats for the bladders - they are simply attached to the surface of the foam (clip to the frame structure of the seat). I have replaced the bladders on my car, this is how I know this.

The problem come more from hollowing out the area where the controls are. Installing the pump under the seat would be fairly easy, plus you would also have to run a wire for power.

IIRC at one time Rodney did sell a hand pump to operate the bladders so a person could install them without the control.

That being said you would be hard pressed to find the control for this seat as it was specific to the Fiero. The easiest would be to try and find the seat (only came on the driver`s seat) or if you wish to retro fit something, you could try using the controls from the Corvette of a similar age - they are different than the Fiero controls, but should work if you want to fit them (or just install the Corvette seats).
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
If anyone is interested, I saw a lumbar seat (beechwood) in a parts car at the Fiero Factory yesterday.
FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post

My idea is to retrofit them into my 84 Fiero SE... like a little project. I would like a set of original controls, but I am sure those are hard to come by.

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

That being said you would be hard pressed to find the control for this seat as it was specific to the Fiero. The easiest would be to try and find the seat (only came on the driver`s seat) or if you wish to retro fit something, you could try using the controls from the Corvette of a similar age - they are different than the Fiero controls, but should work if you want to fit them (or just install the Corvette seats).

Does anyone have any pictures of the corvette seats and what the controls look like?

Originally posted by Hockaday:

should look and see if Z31 seats are usable in fieros. I'll take a measurement later...they have a whole bunch of stuff in the seats and the controls are right on the seat.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing what you find out.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock