Value of 87 GT with Low Miles? by pittpanther
Started on: 11-12-2010 04:03 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: GT86 on 11-14-2010 08:55 PM
pittpanther

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pittpantherSend a Private Message to pittpantherDirect Link to This Post
Hello all - new to the forums, but long time Fiero fan... my 1st car was an 86 2M4, and I have always wanted another as a summer ride (and just to admire in the garage!)

I am considering an 87 GT with less than 15K miles. It is a 5 speed Silver with Grey cloth and sunroof. All original, always garaged and never driven in rain/snow. The only issue is with one of the headlights which will not go up (owner indicates the motors are fine, and that he thinks it is a relay malfunction).

I am still awaiting digital pics - but in general, what would be a good price for it? Seller is asking $7K - I would prefer to be closer to $5K just based on my budget alone - but I don't want to lowball him either.

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Four_hundred_86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Direct Link to This Post
The problem I have with giving prices over the net is that they can vary greatly depending on each vehicle. For example, Out here in wyoming there arent any fieros really, but any you find arent rusted to death either. There are two 88's in denver for less than 3500. Mileage can be both good and bad, A higher mileage 20 something year old car means that the car has been maintained well enough to be a daily driven car. A car with no miles has usually been neglected so there will be a lot of initial cost to bring up its reliability factor. Don't get me wrong a low mileage car may look nicer and the body and frame should be immaculate, however the running gear isnt made to just sit. All in all 8k seems a little high to me especially when your looking at maintenance costs to get the car up and going. 5 K seems about right to me for a stock 87 GT with low miles. Personally i'd look for something cheaper and spring for a power plant upgrade to make the old girl really scream. Also, and there are those that will disagree, but for ride quality and performance i'd look for an 88, all others can perform just as well, but an 88 has the advantage on a level playing field

------------------
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Hard to say what its worth w/o seeing/inspecting it... If it is flawless w/ less then 15k miles, then his asking price is fair. I find it hard to believe it really has less then 15k miles. You may want to run the vin and see what comes up... Also, just because the millage is low does not mean the car will not have problems; I don't care how the guy stored it. Rubber rots and metal rusts from time, not millage

On another note, 7 grand can get you into a very nice "motor-swapped" Fiero. Although the millage would not be less then 15k...
Average millage Fiero's in really good condition will run anywhere from 3-5k...
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

ALJR

3765 posts
Member since Jul 2009

Originally posted by Four_hundred_86:

Also, and there are those that will disagree, but for ride quality and performance i'd look for an 88, all others can perform just as well, but an 88 has the advantage on a level playing field

Very true, but I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a nice pre-88 Fiero because of this...
pittpanther

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pittpantherSend a Private Message to pittpantherDirect Link to This Post
Thanks you both for the replies and excellent information. I will definitely run a Carfax to verify the mileage (apparently the seller is the 2nd owner and collects various cars, but this is still a very good idea).

Not being very mechanically-inclined myself (although I would like to be!), what else should I do pre-sale, assuming we can agree on a price? The car is about 300 miles from my home, but I could arrange for am inspection near the location of the seller.

Also, what types of common maintenance should I expect to perform to make the car reliable? I am actually not looking to deviate from the original equipment of the car.

With regard to an 88, I am aware that it has an upgraded suspension, but is it also true that it has a harsher ride than pre-88s?

Thanks again!
123mmmyFIERO

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2010 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 123mmmyFIEROSend a Private Message to 123mmmyFIERODirect Link to This Post
HERE IS A REAL NICE CLEAN CAR TO CONSIDER... //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/054515.html
pittpanther

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pittpantherSend a Private Message to pittpantherDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 123mmmyFIERO:

HERE IS A REAL NICE CLEAN CAR TO CONSIDER... //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/054515.html

Thanks 123mmmyFIERO - I have considered that listing - just not a fan of the color.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
It all depends on your location. There are sdome area's of the united states that you wont fiond a fiero for miles.. But areas like ours they are all over the place. Personaly i have never spent more than $2500 on a fiero and one of the ones i own is a very very rare 84 . PA and NJ area are plentyful of fiero's. Hell if your looking to spend that much i kn ow of an absolutley beautiful burgandy 87 that i think might still be for sale that you might be able to get for $5k. But my opiniopn is if your gona spend that much look for an 88.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Direct Link to This Post
in feb. of this year i purchased an 87 gt w/29,500 miles on it. still had original brakes on it and the under of the car was barely dusty w/no rust anywhere. i drove around 350 miles to get it. i paid $6,500.00 dollars for it and still think it was a fair price. i have since then put around $2,500.00 into it and i own a 23 year old new car. good luck on your purchase. oh, thanks dodgerunner, belt tensioner is the best.
pittpanther

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pittpantherSend a Private Message to pittpantherDirect Link to This Post
Here are some pics provided by the seller. Clearly, this is an SE and not a GT. I did not think they made an 87 SE with this earlier body type - am I mistaken?

[This message has been edited by pittpanther (edited 11-13-2010).]

Four_hundred_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Direct Link to This Post
You are correct it is an se. That body was first called the 85 gt then pushed over to the se platform when the fastback body style came out in 86. It continued through 87 stopping in 88 when the coupe and gt bodies were the only ones offered coupe being both formula and coupe. To answer your question my 88 rode nicer than any other car I've owned to date. Those running a 3800 ive noticed seem to feel heavy in the rear. That is my opinion of course mine was a coupe swapped with a 3100 running a five speed. It was really quite a nice ride. As far as maintenance goes you'll be swapping ignition coils I'd carry around about three spares. That is the most common engine failure. All of the hoses vacuum brake radiator need to be changed not hard from what I hear but time consuming. Check it over real good for rust. Pull the trunk carpet back the trunk is usually the first to show signs of rusting also you'll probably want to rebuild the hydraulics in the clutch 20+ years in brake fluid isn't good on stuff. All in all it looks really clean, but being picky if I were spending 8k I'd want the car to be perfect. I still go with 3-5 as pk said. Good deals find those who are willing to look. Good luck on the choice.

------------------
(\__/)

PFF
System Bot
pittpanther

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pittpantherSend a Private Message to pittpantherDirect Link to This Post

You are correct it is an se. That body was first called the 85 gt then pushed over to the se platform when the fastback body style came out in 86. It continued through 87 stopping in 88 when the coupe and gt bodies were the only ones offered coupe being both formula and coupe. To answer your question my 88 rode nicer than any other car I've owned to date. Those running a 3800 ive noticed seem to feel heavy in the rear. That is my opinion of course mine was a coupe swapped with a 3100 running a five speed. It was really quite a nice ride. As far as maintenance goes you'll be swapping ignition coils I'd carry around about three spares. That is the most common engine failure. All of the hoses vacuum brake radiator need to be changed not hard from what I hear but time consuming. Check it over real good for rust. Pull the trunk carpet back the trunk is usually the first to show signs of rusting also you'll probably want to rebuild the hydraulics in the clutch 20+ years in brake fluid isn't good on stuff. All in all it looks really clean, but being picky if I were spending 8k I'd want the car to be perfect. I still go with 3-5 as pk said. Good deals find those who are willing to look. Good luck on the choice.

Thanks again for the response and information Four_hundred_86 - greatly appreciated. I am a little disappointed that it is not the 87/88 GT body style, so I may be continuing my search - but it does appear to be in excellent condition. If the buyer is willing to move on his price, I may take a ride out and have a look in person.

[This message has been edited by pittpanther (edited 11-13-2010).]

Four_hundred_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Direct Link to This Post
Anytime. Just so you know that body style is 86-88 with 87-88 having the much desired getrag 5 speed manual the 86 has a Muncie 4 speed very very good just no highway gear.

------------------
(\__/)

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a very clean good straight example of a Fiero though!!!!!
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Psst- you live close to me And that car is amazing! If you wanted something a little cheaper, I stumbled across this- http://harrisburg.craigslis.../cto/2027372197.html Seems like a good buy, but it depends what kind of car you want. If you want a piece of artwork to remain untouched, go with the SE, but this Formula is fully optioned out, and an 88! That means, nice suspension! And t-tops are really cool too!
pittpanther

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pittpantherSend a Private Message to pittpantherDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Looks like a very clean good straight example of a Fiero though!!!!!

It does look exceptionally clean!
pittpanther

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pittpantherSend a Private Message to pittpantherDirect Link to This Post

pittpanther

8 posts
Member since Oct 2010

Originally posted by grkboy707:

Psst- you live close to me And that car is amazing! If you wanted something a little cheaper, I stumbled across this- http://harrisburg.craigslis.../cto/2027372197.html Seems like a good buy, but it depends what kind of car you want. If you want a piece of artwork to remain untouched, go with the SE, but this Formula is fully optioned out, and an 88! That means, nice suspension! And t-tops are really cool too!

Thanks grkboy707 - will check it out. I am looking for something very clean inside and out - and something that can be driven without much maintenance (since I am essentially lost outside of changing the oil). Ideally an 88 - either GT or base - but would consider an 87 as well.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
In that condition and milage I think that car is totally worth the $7k for a serious buyer. I would rather have that one than any $5k GT.
GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post

Anytime. Just so you know that body style is 86-88 with 87-88 having the much desired getrag 5 speed manual the 86 has a Muncie 4 speed very very good just no highway gear.

True for most of the '86 build run, but the GT's and SE's made late in the 86 model year came with Getrags as well.

[This message has been edited by GT86 (edited 11-14-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock