400hp Axles? by Bridgetown
Started on: 11-09-2010 02:42 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Dave Deerson on 11-10-2010 08:39 AM
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
Found this when I was looking around for more durable cv boots. Thought someone might find it usefull.
http://www.driveshaftshop.c...o-manual-400hp-axles
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post
$800.00 and only a 1 year warranty..... I think I would pass.
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
stock axles handle 400hp

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The price is rediculously high. I agree that genuine GM stock axles ( stick) would handle 400 HP but aftermarket CV axles will easily fail. However, any quality CV axle shop should be able to make up axles from different GM parts for $100 each.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
DSS "400 HP" axles will take 400 horses, with clutch drops and drag slicks. Further, they can do you custom lengths / widths. and for a bit more coin, they offer axles rated to 800 HP. You may need an F40 to make use of them, however.
joebaldie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joebaldieClick Here to visit joebaldie's HomePageSend a Private Message to joebaldieDirect Link to This Post
i have these axles on my car never had a problem 1.70 60 foots with hard launchs i run auto trans
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-09-2010 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
Well, really, the HP doesn't matter so much. What matters is the torque, on the output end of the differential, since it's a more correct measurement of the force being transmitted through the axles.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Well, sorta. Horsepower can be a little torque at very high rpm, like 263 ft-lbs at 8000, or it can be a lot of torque at low rpm, like 350 ft-lbs at 6000 rpm. Now, if you're doing a clutch drop at your HP peak, then the heavier the flywheel, the worse the rpm is for the axles. Unless your clutch fails to bite or your trans breaks.
But the shock load of 400 HP either way is more than the shock load of 300 HP. So rating by HP has solid validity.
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
I'll let you know how they work out for me.
I was SICK of screwing around trying to find good used axles (got screwed twice among other issues that made me want to explode) and I wouldn't ever try the cheap parts store junk so these are the ones that ended up in my car (I bought them before they were listed). It stung deep, but I won't have to worry about a single axle issue for a very long time.
I'll compare them with a junk pair of stock axles when I get my car back.

------------------

'10 Camaro LT/RS, 312hp V6 6-speed
'88 Fiero GT - coming soon! - Project MIDTRBO

The rest of my cars are for sale
There's no replacement for turbo placement

ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Oh, and here's half of one:

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 11-09-2010).]

Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
What, no stabilizer bearings?
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
for what its worth. These are the guys I was talking about in another post, that If I had to get (or have to) for my LS3 swap, ill go with them. THey have been building custom 800 and 1000+hp axles for the new GTO guys for years. Yea, every now and then, someone will brake one, but for the most part, they last. You can check them out on LS1GTO.com There is another company called Hendrik racing (not NASCAR) and they build some great stuff too.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 11-09-2010).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I can't keep the boots on my car. need a better clip for the rubber boot any ideas? I did try hose clamp but no good as the screw part stops the rotation.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

I can't keep the boots on my car. need a better clip for the rubber boot any ideas? I did try hose clamp but no good as the screw part stops the rotation.

CV boot clamps are available at most auto stores that cater to garages and repair centers.
All you will need is the special crimping pliers that secures the clamps tightly on the boot. The universal clamps sold by HELPS don't go on tight enough and are not the best choice.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Dave Deerson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave DeersonSend a Private Message to Dave DeersonDirect Link to This Post
Check to make sure that the C/V isn't making contact with anything and therefore wiping the C/V boot clamp off. This happens when either you are making horsepower (and overpowering the stock,mushy engine/trans mounts) or the engine and trans mounts are just plain old worn out. It happened to me long ago on a '88 GT race car where I thought I had enough clearance to the frame. However there was so much movement in the mounts that the C/V would rub on the frame under acceleration .

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock