Started on: 10-28-2010 10:04 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: hyperv6 on 10-31-2010 04:16 PM
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post
Man that looks alot like the engine that was in my old saturn I mean alot hmmmm I wonder????
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

Man that looks alot like the engine that was in my old saturn I mean alot hmmmm I wonder????

Wonder if you like to.... that is a engine has never been in a Saturn...

------------------
Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
(r.i.p.)
" SmoothGT-'w8c' ".....
rough est. date 04/02/2011.....

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
You really want one - or just dreaming?
One for sale http://www.race-cars.com/en...331/1107211331ss.htm

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-29-2010).]

snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdDirect Link to This Post
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

Ohh man the illegal things i would DO with one of them in my IMSA. 3.0 liters of pure sexyness.

Like i said my dream is to trip over one of these bad boys in a junk yard and haul it home.
(i cant beleave i called a 4 cylinder sexy)

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 10-29-2010).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

You really want one - or just dreaming?
One for sale http://www.race-cars.com/en...331/1107211331ss.htm

oh wow, i got the pic from this link, it says sold and its talking about all 3. http://www.race-cars.com/en.../pc4v01/pc4v01ss.htm
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
What are the specs?

Couldn't you just put an ecotec (or turbo version) in a Fiero and get the same results?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

oh wow, i got the pic from this link, it says sold and its talking about all 3.

Saw other SD4s on the "Sold" page, but this was still on the current page. May be a screwup.

How about this ad dated June 2010 http://www.landracing.com/f...intpage;topic=8116.0

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

What are the specs?

Couldn't you just put an ecotec (or turbo version) in a Fiero and get the same results?

Yes and no My research on the 3.0 cosworth tells me that its a 300Hp engine where the exotec turbo is somthing like 250-260

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
Ohh man the illegal things i would DO with one of them in my IMSA. 3.0 liters of pure sexyness.

Like i said my dream is to trip over one of these bad boys in a junk yard and haul it home.
(i cant beleave i called a 4 cylinder sexy)

I was walking our local yard a few years ago and found an 84 with a IMSA wing. The first thing I do is take the decklid off and put it in my buggy. Then I notice a large PONTIAC valve cover, the aluminum 2 piece one. So I take it too, then I notice that it has a weird 4 barrel carb on it, and it has a intake that says "Edlebrock" on it. So I take both of them too. It has a wierd electonic ignition and I grab that too.

In the end I had to crawl under it to see if it had a Super Duty block and it did not. Damn!!! No SD head either.

Close but still a great day at the yard.

Rob
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Ecotech swap https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/045570-15.html

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Yes and no My research on the 3.0 cosworth tells me that its a 300Hp engine where the exotec turbo is somthing like 250-260

My Ecotech in my HHR SS is at 290 HP and 315 FT LB at 23 pounds of boost. It has the GM turbo upgrade to a 3 bar map sensors and is under the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. The RWD Sostice GXP with the same kit and a 5 Speed has 340 FT LB. The transaxle is the only real limiting part of the package. The total stock engine will yeild over 400 HP before they recomend changing the rods and pistons. It then can go well over 600 HP with out too many major changes.

My SS with only this upgrade will pull the 3200 pound car to a 13:87 1/4 mile and still get 31 hghway and 24 city with an automatic. It is one sweet engine.

While the Pontiac engine was advanced in 1985-86 it is pretty old tech now. One has to remember this was based on an old engine then and that was 25 years ago. The Eco today used things even race engines did not have back then. It is kind of hard to compare. But to do a period correct Fiero the Pontiac engine would really nice in the bay.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 10-30-2010).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

What are the specs?

3.0L OHV to DOHC conversion. i read that after the break in it was making 500 hp and still going. its N/A.

that does not have the same history as this engine does. those are force induced to make big power, that Cosworth SD4 is not force induced and it still made damn good power.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-055858.html

close to the bottom of the thread
http://www.thirdgen.org/tec...let-camaro-iron.html

http://speedtalk.com/forum/...?f=1&t=21509&start=0

http://the-stickman.tripod.com/DUKE-PICS.html

http://ironduke7.tripod.com/IronDuke.htm

http://www.fieronews.net/fu...o-HotrodSD4guide.pdf

this is now a hard to find motor :/ but dont underestimate it.

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 10-30-2010).]

BlackEmrald

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldDirect Link to This Post
Ok guys... I'm still new to Fieros. Fill me in. What kind of engine is this? where/when was it produced?? I read most of the links.. and I still didn't get it

------------------
1986 SE V6 Auto. 114K miles.
1995 F-150 4.9l Straight 6, Port and polished head, oversize valves, mild cam.

Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

My SS with only this upgrade will pull the 3200 pound car to a 13:87 1/4 mile and still get 31 hghway and 24 city with an automatic. It is one sweet engine.

Yes, it is.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't that engine fit easier in the cradle than an ecotech?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackEmrald:

Ok guys... I'm still new to Fieros. Fill me in. What kind of engine is this? where/when was it produced?? I read most of the links.. and I still didn't get it

It was an engine that GM wanted to use in IMSA road racing. It was an over the counter engine. If I recall Pontiac never used it in IMSA but it did get used in some other series very limited. It may have made it into the GTP light cars but I know they did have some issues with the engine around this time and Pontiac pulled back around the same time in IMSA.

It was a good engine but not a great engine. It really was never intended be a street engine but many people have converted these over for this use.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2010 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Considering they are the race Fiero engines… I think so.

Though the Ecotec is going to be wildly more available and cheaper. With the right mods on an ecotec, you could probably get 300hp n/a.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

The eco is similar in size and lighter. The Eco is very light. I see no advantage.

The SD engine has no balance shaft or Variable Valve Timing. The Eco would be the much refined engine and better on the street. This is kind of like comparing a 350 TPI to the LS3 V8. TIme has brought many advances that make the Eco the much better refined engine.

If I has a Fiero ans wanted to make it period correct with the race engine of the day it is the SD. If I wanted the best engine period it would be the Eco Turbo.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

The Cosworth engine was designed for road racing and as such makes its power in the higher RPM register. Great for what it was intended for but you could put in a 3900 and get the same horsepower over a wider RPM range. Probably a question to ask Joe Upson.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

The 24V SD is the exotic one. The Eco Turbo is just every day stuff now.

Like he said the 24V SD was built to race and can be made streetable but it is not what I would call a very refind street engine at higher HP. Todays technology and computers make all sorts of things possible that this engine could not do. It is hard to beat the things they are doing today.

Computers make small engine make lots of power and keep unstable airplanes in the air. We will see a lot more with the foced higher CAFE standards.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock