The Word " Rims " by Hockaday
Started on: 10-27-2010 02:59 AM
Replies: 44
Last post by: rogergarrison on 10-28-2010 07:13 PM
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
Is it just me...or does the plight of the usage of the word " rims " to describe WHEELS nag at you? It sounds like we're driving hondas with leaf blower turbos ( yes they really exist... ) for frick sakes! Now if you are saying to yourself..." well Hockaday you're just an older guy and not hip to the lingo " or " wheels rims...same diff... " well I'm 21 and NO not the same diff!

This is wheel:

Now yes " rims " do exist...they are very real...and quite out dated as I understand. They were used on trucks.

Here is a diagram.

Components of the multi-piece rim wheel: 1. rim base, 2. valve assembly, 3. tire, 4. side ring, 5. O ring, and 6. lock ring (figure courtesy of OSHA).

Ok...my rant is over. =). G'night and good luck.

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.
#12 NYFOC Member
In recent times, the custom aftermarket car/automobile roadwheel has become a status symbol. These wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims". The term "rim" is incorrect because the rim is only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted )

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
A rim is the metal center then you have the tire which is your rubber part. Tire plus rim equals a wheel
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 05:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
A rim or lip is yes part of a wheel but it is actually to describe a deep dish wheel. Now what do you consider a Mag wheel?
deezil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post
I just got a set of scion Rims for my Fiero.
Pretty cheap too. I think I only paid $100 for all 4 Rims with tires.
temulance

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for temulanceSend a Private Message to temulanceDirect Link to This Post
Good Call!!! Check it out....

Rim (wheel)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

An aluminum alloy wheelThe rim of a wheel is the outer circular design of the metal on which the inside edge of the tire is mounted on vehicles such as automobiles.[1] For example, on a bicycle wheel the rim is a large hoop attached to the outer ends of the spokes of the wheel that holds the tire and tube.

Meaning
Decorative wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims".[6] This use of the term "rim" is incorrect because it refers to only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted), just as the rim of a coffee cup or a meteor crater does not refer to the entire object.

temulance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for temulanceSend a Private Message to temulanceDirect Link to This Post

temulance

82 posts
Member since Apr 2010
Now for the other part... I replied to a post yesterday -> https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083252.html <- and stated that I like the "Rims" and I was SOOOO wrong in doing so so I truely appologize for that statement and wont let it happen again! So if for some reason I offended someone... Im sorry! Knowledge is Power.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by temulance:

Good Call!!! Check it out....

Rim (wheel)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

An aluminum alloy wheelThe rim of a wheel is the outer circular design of the metal on which the inside edge of the tire is mounted on vehicles such as automobiles.[1] For example, on a bicycle wheel the rim is a large hoop attached to the outer ends of the spokes of the wheel that holds the tire and tube.

Meaning
Decorative wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims".[6] This use of the term "rim" is incorrect because it refers to only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted), just as the rim of a coffee cup or a meteor crater does not refer to the entire object.

This is the "correct" definition.

Having said that... At age 53, I have heard the terms "rims" and "wheels" used interchangeably for most of my life.
I used to have a Fairlane with "chrome reverse rims".

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe - going...going... gone to a new home.

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

THE REAL Fieronut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE REAL FieronutSend a Private Message to THE REAL FieronutDirect Link to This Post
And I've heard tires called "casings"! But then, I'm old, too.

------------------
John

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deezil:

Find me a deal like that! :P
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
Rims? Wheels? Ohh you must mean "Dub Rollies". Thats what the cool cats are calling them now.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
My definition is a rim and wheel are interchangable....its the metal ( or plastic) part that bolts on the studs. The rubber part is a tire. I do usually call it a wheel rim without tires. I dont really have a name for a wheel with a tire mounted except a 'set'. ie/ in the winter or summer I switch to my other 'set' of wheels. There complete and ready to drive, no tire mounting.
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GADJet:

Find me a deal like that! :P

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/2018425656.html

roj
GT85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT85Send a Private Message to GT85Direct Link to This Post
Yes, there is a difference between the specific definition of the words "Rim" and "Wheel." Most of the time, when people say "Rim," they are actually referring to wheels. That being said, the words have been used interchangeably for years. When someone says, "I just put new rims on my Fiero," I will understand that they actually put new "wheels" on their car.

This is a silly thing to be angry about.
scott0999

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
I just like saying rim more than wheel. I've never in my life had someone confused when saying "nice rims yo"

plus.. when buying rims (ok WHEELS for the OP) its not like your just buying the "outer circular design of the metal on which the inside edge of the tire is mounted", per the defintion

I cant wait to throw some twinkies on the back of my fiero myself
GMplastic

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GMplasticSend a Private Message to GMplasticDirect Link to This Post
All in fun from somewhat of an old-school hot rodder . . .
I hear wheels and rims being used interchangeably. The fun is getting around some of the 60's and early 70's old-schoolers when they refer to their wheels as
'feet' and their tires as 'shoes," as in "What size shoes are ya runnin on the strip?" Or, "Mounting up the sticky shoes for the brackets on Sunday." In the winter (which, incidentally, arrived overnight here in Northern Minnesota, meaning I have to put my sports cars away because they dumped salt on the roads), if you are going to run snow tires, the 'shoes' are referred to as 'boots.' "Yup, got new Michelin boots on my 4 x4."

I'm 54. My car/truck friends range in age from about mid-80's down to late teens. It's the older ones that talk about feet, shoes and boots.

------------------
Gold '87 GT, Black '87 GT, Black '88 Mera, 64 Stingray coupe, '01 Corvette coupe, '03 Corvette coupe & caretaker of son's Yellow '87 GT, & Other son's Red '86 GT,
General tinkerer and doer of mechanical deeds

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tstang429:

A rim is the metal center then you have the tire which is your rubber part. Tire plus rim equals a wheel

x2

Pretty easy way of describing things. I am about to put my winter "wheels" on (with winter tires).. while some may put on their winter rims (with some all season tires transfered from their summer rims).
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Rims? Wheels? Ohh you must mean "Dub Rollies". Thats what the cool cats are calling them now.

Had not heard that one. I have heard, "I got new rollers". I assumed it was wheels and tires combined. My wife threw her "rollers" out a while back.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 10-27-2010).]

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GMplastic:
*snip* In the winter (which, incidentally, arrived overnight here in Northern Minnesota, meaning I have to put my sports cars away because they dumped salt on the roads),

Ughhh, I wasn't paying attention to the upcoming weather, now I have to drive my Fiero through all this slush back to Rochester soon. Hopefully its nicer this weekend.

Oh, and I always call a wheel a wheel. Anytime I do that it seems like someone in my age group looks at me like I'm an invalid and tells me "Those are rims, not wheels." I never really can muster up the energy to argue a point with someone that ignorant.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
People call them "rims", but the correct term is "wheel".
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMDirect Link to This Post
I am with the original poster. Fieros have wheels and tires there aren't any rims made for the Fiero. Normally, the rim is referred to as the stainless steel trim ring around the outer edge of the older steel wheels.

And sorry, using wiki for a dictionary is wrong. Anyone can edit as they please and if I wanted to change the definition of a word to match my criteria then who's to question what I typed?

Anyway, as per Merriam-Webster:

Definition of RIM
1a : brink
b : the outer often curved or circular edge or border of something
2a : the outer part of a wheel joined to the hub usually by spokes
b : a removable outer metal band on an automobile wheel to which the tire is attached

The latter definition is what I am accustomed to. Not saying it is what everyone goes by but, as I see it, the correct defintion of a rim vs. wheel.

Now with that in mind, how many Fiero wheels have you purchased or seen with an "outer removable band"? Most likely....zero.
GT85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT85Send a Private Message to GT85Direct Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by IwannaIRM:

I am with the original poster. Fieros have wheels and tires there aren't any rims made for the Fiero.

If you want to get technical, there are plenty of two-piece racing wheels that fit a Fiero and they all have rims.
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
There is a diffrence between wheels and "rims" according to my asian friend. Rims are any wheel 20 inches or larger wheels are 19 inch and lower.... Theres other reffrences to 20 inch and higher but there kinda racial.
chadwilkins

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2010 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chadwilkinsSend a Private Message to chadwilkinsDirect Link to This Post
We really have NOTHING else to talk about than this?
F355spider

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deezil:

That is a good price on those Rims and all 4 Rims are nice to have. I would like to find a set of Mag Rims for my car. I just hope I can find a set of Rims as cheap as your Rims are.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Im over 60 and never heard the term 'feet', but have heard tires referred to as shoes.

The stainless ring that clips on the outside of the wheel/rim were always just called 'trim rings'. I never heard anyone call them rims. There usually on what manufacturers referred to as 'rally wheels'
Nick_84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick_84Send a Private Message to Nick_84Direct Link to This Post
I'm 23 and regularly refer to tires as "shoes" especially when given the opportunity to confuse my buddies (that are around my age). But then again I've been around old school hot rodders most of my life, which could explain why I also refer to TIG welding as Heli-Arc (which confuses the guys at work)...

And for the OP, yes, they're wheels. That is unless we're talking about something around 20 or bigger, in which case they're rims, but you have to throw a 'y' in there somehow when you say it...
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
It comes from the 1960's, when the center of the wheel was reversed and spot welded to the rim. Hence, reverse chrome "rims."
Blame my generation!!
bb
temulance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for temulanceSend a Private Message to temulanceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IwannaIRM:

I am with the original poster. Fieros have wheels and tires there aren't any rims made for the Fiero. Normally, the rim is referred to as the stainless steel trim ring around the outer edge of the older steel wheels.

And sorry, using wiki for a dictionary is wrong. Anyone can edit as they please and if I wanted to change the definition of a word to match my criteria then who's to question what I typed?

Anyway, as per Merriam-Webster:

Definition of RIM
1a : brink
b : the outer often curved or circular edge or border of something
2a : the outer part of a wheel joined to the hub usually by spokes
b : a removable outer metal band on an automobile wheel to which the tire is attached

The latter definition is what I am accustomed to. Not saying it is what everyone goes by but, as I see it, the correct defintion of a rim vs. wheel.

Now with that in mind, how many Fiero wheels have you purchased or seen with an "outer removable band"? Most likely....zero.

Holy Camoly!! I think thats exactly what I said in a different way quoted from wiki!!! Jeez Learn to read! and Personally Who Gives a Sh....at in what someone calls something! From Now On I will call them "The Round things in Which Tires are attached" That way everyone here knows at least what I am talking about and I wont offend anyone. Everyone else you call them what you want! Rims, Shoes, Feet, Boots, Wheels, Castings, Spokes, Dubs the list goes on... now get over it!
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
How about putting a new set of skins on your ride. Or Rim of the canyon or Rim job? I can't believe I got sucked into this conversation.............
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Rim: any wheel so large you can't run 40 profile tires... My personal definition
SC Coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post
As I see it, the 'rim' is only part of the 'wheel'. The 'rim' of the wheel is like the 'rim' of a glass. Tires are mounted on wheels. The 'bead' of the tire bears against and seals on the rim. To me, calling wheels 'rims' makes you sound like you're either (a) a ricer, or (b) from the ghetto. A wheel is a wheel. Always has been - always will be!

------------------
Lowcountry Fiero
South Carolina Fiero Club
'88 Coupe "Plain Vanilla"
'86 GT "Black Pearl"

[This message has been edited by SC Coupe (edited 10-27-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
wheels... rims ... whatever. In the words of the esteemed Bill Murray - Lighten up Francis.

J/K

Rich
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Tomorrow's class will teach us the difference between "motor" and "engine."
scott0999

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

LOL, nice one
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
They have reality tv shows that argue about such nonsense...
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.' ~~ (Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass, Chapter VI)

If you want me to understand you, use the most precise words available. If you just want to hear yourself talk, use any words you want but don't expect me to listen.

"Wheel" is correct for the entire thing. "Rim" is just colloquial (and for a limited time only, at that), except as it applies to the outer part of the wheel that supports the tire. An antique wagon wheel, cart wheel, automobile wheel, bicycle wheel, motorcycle wheel, etc. consist of three main parts: 1) the hub, 2) multiple spokes or a solid or semi-solid web, and 3) the outer rim.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 10-28-2010).]

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
If words were all set in stone the Dead sea scrolls wouldn't have blown out into a hundred + religions due to interpretations of words.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Heres an easyer and more blunt and to the point about this topic... Billions of people call them rims. Rims wheels whats the diffrence. We all know what they mean, heall back in the cave man days they probabley called a wheel a grumph or somthing. We all know what it means and diffrent people have diffrnent ways of saying wheel weather it be rims dubs shoes spinners whatever. If it bothers you that much you shouldent be into the car scene.

Its just like engine and motor
water and H20
house and crib.

They all mean the same thing and you all know what someone is trying to say when they say it.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

That ones easy. An engine runs on a fuel, and a motor runs on electricity. Aint no other definition.

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

heall back in the cave man days they probabley called a wheel a grumph or somthing.

Its official! We're calling them "grumphs" from now on.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock