Started on: 10-23-2010 01:29 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Rallaster on 10-23-2010 05:39 PM
Rallaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
I was watching TV and saw the commercial for the Nissan Juke and decided to check it out because of the appearance of a manual electronic boost controller as part of the console. While looking at it, I couldn't help but notice the option of a Continually Variable Transmission as an option. This piqued my curiosity in the technology and as I was researching it I found that Subaru has one, Dodge did have one, don't know if they're still using it and Nissan has 2 that they're using. I haven't found any other car manufacturers that are using them, but other than Subaru, they're front wheel drive setups with AWD options.

What is the common consensus on being able to get a CVT in one of our little cars? I know it wouldn't be a bolt on and drop in fit, but as far as mounting it to the cradle and fabbing an adapter plate I can't see it being that big of an issue. The only real hurdle I can see would be the electronics to control it, right? Or is there something I'm missing?

Thoughts, comments?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
You mean like one of these?

Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
That looks awfully familiar... 600 XLT?

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

[This message has been edited by Richjk21 (edited 10-23-2010).]

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. It seems to be simple technology and the only things that would really make it a challenge to implement would be the controller, I think.
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
I'm guessing that won't hold up in a car... The car CVT's that I've seen have a pretty mean looking steel "belt" to hold up to the torque. From what I hear that's the hard part of them...

Mini Cooper also used a CVT, but apparently not a great one. My fiance's Mini has one, I'd much prefer a standard or a good auto. -> http://forums.roadfly.com/f...ooper/9067189-1.html

Seems like a great idea if done right. Can set it up to run the engine at peak horsepower or peak efficiency..
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riceburner98:

I'm guessing that won't hold up in a car... The car CVT's that I've seen have a pretty mean looking steel "belt" to hold up to the torque. From what I hear that's the hard part of them...

Mini Cooper also used a CVT, but apparently not a great one. My fiance's Mini has one, I'd much prefer a standard or a good auto. -> http://forums.roadfly.com/f...ooper/9067189-1.html

Seems like a great idea if done right. Can set it up to run the engine at peak horsepower or peak efficiency..

That's what I was thinking, you can have the best of both worlds with this transmission, but it would take some serious ECM programming to implement. Like I said in my original post, the new Nissan Juke has a CVT as an option, and every review I've read has only good things to say about it which got me thinking about trying to fit one in a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 10-23-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock