THESE DAMN THINGS ARE FIRE HAZARDS!!!!! by DLCLK87GT
Started on: 10-20-2010 09:12 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: DLCLK87GT on 10-21-2010 07:14 AM
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
Hehe, well there WAS a fire, but nothing major. OK just a quick review; found a Formula, PW, PL,AC,AT, rust free frame/under body @ 101K

It and had been sitting for at least 8 years in a field under a tree… but for $550 I HAD to get it. Not pretty but I can see the potential.

after a quick wash..but the paint is trash and it doesn't look this good unless it's wet!

So I get it home and after several weeks of a few minutes here and there after work on the weekend (weather permitting) I’ve managed to free the frozen brakes, took the fuel tank out, dumped it, cleaned it, fiddled with the pump and fuel level sending unit, painted, undercoated and put the tank back, replaced the filter and all lines, replaced the stuck TB, replaced the dirty and corroded distributor with a fresh one I rebuilt, cut and removed the TB water pipes and capped off (twisted a pipe with a frozen end swapping out the TB so it had to go for now) replaced the rusty air filter box and a few other things and FINALLY,,, tonight; new battery, new gas, new oil & filter, pre lubed the motor and fired it up and !!! nothing. Timing way off. Pull dist, 1 turn on the rotor, replace, chug chug chug, varoom! And wholly crap it ran …and it sounded good! I was very excited….for about 10 seconds….then it started pouring smoke and squealing something awful, I had my helper (wife) shut it down but POOF, the damn insulation next to the ALT caught fire!!! The alt is frozen and the belt just spun on it and got very hot very quick and caught the insulation touching it on fire! Now this was running for 8-10 seconds maybe, and it was enough to start a fire, a very small one but still…fire. I was able to put it out, NO damage done and called it quits for tonight. More fun to follow tomorrow!
SO, all those rumors and stories are true, these things ARE fire hazards!

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 10-20-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
I could be wrong, but I heard once that Fieros are synonymous with fire.

BTW....you got a rust free Formula for $550??? I hate you. Have fun with the car.
Nick_84

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick_84Send a Private Message to Nick_84Direct Link to This Post
Well there goes my theory: if they haven't caught fire yet, they ain't gonna!

Maybe someone swapped a motor from an '84 into yours...
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
On the first start up of my dad's 3.4, the timing was off so the header wrap got hot real quick and caught on fire. So yep, all of them are fire hazards
kazew

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kazewSend a Private Message to kazewDirect Link to This Post
I don't recall ever seeing a gigantic formula door decal like that, my f-decal is only half that size!
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kazew:

I don't recall ever seeing a gigantic formula door decal like that, my f-decal is only half that size!

actually the decal is standard, it's the car, it's smaller than normal Ya it was repainted at some point (horrible job) and they put those on....i kinda like them. no?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock