WHAT IS A "MERA" ? by 123mmmyFIERO
Started on: 10-16-2010 11:38 PM
Replies: 39
Last post by: batousai666 on 10-22-2010 12:11 PM
123mmmyFIERO

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2010 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 123mmmyFIEROSend a Private Message to 123mmmyFIERODirect Link to This Post
I REALLY WANT TO KNOW..IS IT A FIERO..OR A CHEAP FERRARI. i would like to know once and for all...thanks sorry for asking a question about this but i really dont know...123
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
deezil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2010 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post
from here.... http://www.calgaryfieros.com/FIEROintro.htm
"The MERA was being marketed and sold by Pontiac Dealers. The MERA was a re-bodied FIERO produced by CORPORATE CONCEPTS in Carpac, Michigan. These were Ferrari 308 (Magnum P.I.'s car) look-a-likes that prompted a lawsuit by Ferrari against Corporate Concepts. Only 247 (88 1987-GTs and 159 1988-SEs) were produced before production of the FIERO was halted - making the MERA the rarest "FIERO" available."
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deezil:
"The MERA was being marketed and sold by Pontiac Dealers. The MERA was a re-bodied FIERO produced by CORPORATE CONCEPTS in Carpac, Michigan. These were Ferrari 308 (Magnum P.I.'s car) look-a-likes that prompted a lawsuit by Ferrari against Corporate Concepts. Only 247 (88 1987-GTs and 159 1988-SEs) were produced before production of the FIERO was halted - making the MERA the rarest "FIERO" available."

Actually I think the Enterra Vipe was the rarest, but if you want to get technical maybe the pimped out Fiero was the rarest.
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
yup i agree. Enterra is rarer...err.
i do not know much about the Zimmer Quicksliver....

Mera= Pontiac Conversion Option. just like a conversion van. bought thru a Pontiac Dealer Only. you order what you want and Pontiac outsourced a conversion company to do the job and then they sent straight to the customer for delivery.

i have seen a bill of sale for the Mera option on a Dealer invoice......i am sold that they are at least a Factory Built Kit, like the
Shelbys and/or Saleens. body wise anyway. no performance mods were ever added at Corporate Concepts. body only.

i have a Mera and today i went for a color tour on the Michigan back roads and this Mera of mine is solid not a squeak or rattle....so i vote NO cheape knock off here .....the body panels are rumored to be fastened in at least 200 points of contact... that should do the trick. nice thick material make up the panels even have double thickness on the two deck lids front and rear. they skinned over the Fiero stuff

i know of 2 Meras in FL so they are down there....hope you find one at a car show or something so you can see for yourself. they are nice.

Dan-
Mera X

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 10-17-2010).]

mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2010 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
rodney is THE man on this issue and many others here on pff are likely ALMOST as knowledgeable. dan is putting together a mera fact book, but my .02 is they are similar in diminsions and weight of the ferrari 308 and have similar horsepower output. the mera was a pontiac option from the dealer and thus makes them more desireable and worth more than a mere kit car version of the same thing, ie 308 kit body installed on a fiero frame. now it is said that most 308 kit cars are a splash of a mera at some point. i know this is a crude evaluation but is the simplest answer. i own mera 7071, a 1987 fiero gt v6 5spd getrag car and is the 71st mera built. i dont know the real number but i think i have read it is something like only 90 or so mera's are left in existance.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Actually six of the 88 Mera's were built on GT platforms. I own Mera 8011. It was assembled on a GT that was equipped with factory Beechwood leather, EQ Cassette, and Performance Sound (factory subwoofer). It still has its orginal Fiero GT steering wheel instead of the Forumla one tht came on most 88 Mera's. Check out page 13 of the "Mera in Paridise" thread for pictures of my car.

As rare Fiero's go the Mera was the second lowest total number produced if you combine its two year production of 247, to the one year only yellow 88 GT at 241. Mera's are much "rarer" than the Ferrari 308's they looked like.

New, Mera's were priced similar to new Corvettes of the day. Currently, you will pay more for a really nice Mera, than an 87 or 88 Vette of equal condition. People that see the Mera in person are impressed with the quality of the bodywork, if the car has been well maintained. That being said, there some really nice 308 kits that have been assembled out there too.

As for mine, I plan to keep it badged as Mera. It's more fun explaining to people that its not a Ferrari, and not a kit.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 10-17-2010).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Here is a picture of an 88 MERA. This particular vehicle is constructed on a GT platform.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 10-17-2010).]

123mmmyFIERO

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2010 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 123mmmyFIEROSend a Private Message to 123mmmyFIERODirect Link to This Post
that is a real sharpe car..do they come up for sale at all???
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2010 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
123 yes sometimes they are for sale. just have to keep your eyes open. in the last yr or so i have seen like 6 or 7 for sale.
123mmmyFIERO

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2010 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 123mmmyFIEROSend a Private Message to 123mmmyFIERODirect Link to This Post
well mike pencil me in for one...thanks 123
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2010 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
123 my mera is a numbers matching car. so i have the original engine in plastic wrap setting on the shelf for originality purposes. but i have installed the sbc into my car now. with a zz4 383 sbc i have more hp than an original ferrari 308 with similar weight and wheelbase, but better performance. and by keeping the original engine i dont ruin my mera's value. my car was wrecked very badly when i purchased it but i have repaired it. in the build of the car i have done a ton of upgrades as well. since i was saving a mera it didnt bother me to modify it along the way. someone has f308 badged my car along the way somewhere. as well as it have a very very nice tasteful f308 leather interior. when its finished it will be a very nice mera.
PFF
System Bot
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 123mmmyFIERO:

that is a real sharpe car..do they come up for sale at all???

i know of one for sale in Hawaii......

best low mile Mera around. like 28,000 miles or something crazy like that.
we can hook you up with contact info....if needed

heres a pic of my Mera...

Dan

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 10-17-2010).]

123mmmyFIERO

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2010 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 123mmmyFIEROSend a Private Message to 123mmmyFIERODirect Link to This Post
this is what i found ,and thought it would make a nice addition along with the mera....
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
someday i'll buy that car...and probably a blacksploitation pimp suit and cane.
123mmmyFIERO

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2010 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 123mmmyFIEROSend a Private Message to 123mmmyFIERODirect Link to This Post
this is crazy ibeen a car dealer for over 25 years and never saw a mera or that qwiksilver thing,,just when i think ive seen it all.........
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

The Mera was sold through Pontiac dealers alongside the Fiero. The Enterra and Quicksilver were not.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
The MERA is what gots Pontiac/GM its a$$ handed to them by Ferrari because it closeley resembled the 308.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

The MERA is what gots Pontiac/GM its a$$ handed to them by Ferrari because it closeley resembled the 308.

Ferrari had nothing to do with GM.

"Corporate Concepts ultimately was sued by Ferrari over the design of the car and ordered to stop producing them."
http://www.examiner.com/per...e-pontiac-fiero-mera

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-17-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Ferrari had nothing to do with GM.

"Corporate Concepts ultimately was sued by Ferrari over the design of the car and ordered to stop producing them."
http://www.examiner.com/per...e-pontiac-fiero-mera

I thought GM was brought into it to because of offering it as an option on one of there cars?
Guess I was wrong

That add also quoted about the suposed 88's "lotus suspension" to.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 10-17-2010).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I thought GM was brought into it to because of offering it as an option on one of there cars? Guess I was wrong

Couldn't find anything about "Ferrari sues Pontiac".

BUT I did find lots of "Ferrari sues "bodymaker" of various kit makers that made Ferrari looking panels to fit Corvettes, Firebirds - you name it. But they're not going after GM for making the Corvette or Firebird for example.

They even sued the owner of a REAL Ferrari Modena 360 because he modified it.
http://wot.motortrend.com/6...dena-limo/index.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-17-2010).]

123mmmyFIERO

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2010 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 123mmmyFIEROSend a Private Message to 123mmmyFIERODirect Link to This Post
pontiac made some crazy cars,,i remember a car that was built off of the monte carlo ss frame /areocoupe i think all they did was put a crazy lookin nose on it and some stripes,,i forget what it was called..but across the auction block they went cheap...85 to 87 i think ...i found a pic..

[This message has been edited by 123mmmyFIERO (edited 10-17-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

They even sued the owner of a REAL Ferrari Modena 360 because he modified it.
http://wot.motortrend.com/6...dena-limo/index.html

That is taking things to far. Its one thing if he did somthing like a kit car but its another if he bought a real ferrari and turned it into that. I dont see Ferrari winning that case.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

The Mera was sold through Pontiac dealers alongside the Fiero. The Enterra and Quicksilver were not.

i hear that the Enterra is the Canadian "Mera" as per Pontiac. dealer option sold thru the dealership just like in the USA with the Mera.
i will locate that source.....soon. i plan to orginize a crap ton of Mera stuff i have been hoarding during this comming winter. in MI they are long. should help iron out the wrinkles that make these cars, Fiero's and the Mera/Enterra/ZimmerQuicksilver( which i would totally own) so unique, fun to own and drive

Dan
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

pontiac made some crazy cars,,i remember a car that was built off of the monte carlo ss frame /areocoupe i think all they did was put a crazy lookin nose on it and some stripes,,i forget what it was called..but across the auction block they went cheap...85 to 87 i think ...i found a pic..

That's a 2+2.
It was based off the Grand Prix, with an aero nose and the rear window treatment from the Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe to better compete in NASCAR.
To make the design usable in NASCAR, a certain number had to be sold to the public.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

That's a 2+2.
It was based off the Grand Prix, with an aero nose and the rear window treatment from the Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe to better compete in NASCAR.
To make the design usable in NASCAR, a certain number had to be sold to the public.

Don't ever try to get the spare out of the trunk in one of those. The opening was around 18 inches deep as I recall because of the fastback and rear window, and the spare was buried all the way to the back of the trunk. We had one sitting in the showroom for quite a while new.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Don't ever try to get the spare out of the trunk in one of those. The opening was around 18 inches deep as I recall because of the fastback and rear window, and the spare was buried all the way to the back of the trunk. We had one sitting in the showroom for quite a while new.

I know. A friend of mine used to have an 87 Aerocoupe SS.
Yeah, they have the cavernous G-body trunk, with a trunk opening you can fit a toothbrush through - sideways.
The truck will probably hold 4 full golf bags, but you'd have to put them in one club at a time.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wot.motortrend:

"Cawley should still be able to drive his creation as long as nothing on the car says it's a Ferrari."

That's crazy. The intakes, side mirror, and just about eveything on the car says, "Ferrari." I guess if a guy throws in a LS series engine in the back-will Ferrari go after them too?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-17-2010).]

mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2010 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
i put ls motors in ferraris all the time. i also put ls motors in porsches. shouldnt be a problem. its personal personalization. like puttin a chevy motor in a ford... or vice versa.... nothing they can do about it. at best they might harass you but legally they have no grounds.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mera7:
i dont know the real number but i think i have read it is something like only 90 or so mera's are left in existance.

I have to ask where you get this number? I have records of (at most) a half dozen being totaled. I think it is even less than that. 3-5. My guess is that almost all still exist. I would say at the most maybe 5-10 are gone. I would say around 240 still exist.

Rodney Dickman
Mera Registry
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I have to ask where you get this number? I have records of (at most) a half dozen being totaled. I think it is even less than that. 3-5. My guess is that almost all still exist. I would say at the most maybe 5-10 are gone. I would say around 240 still exist.

Rodney Dickman
Mera Registry

240 alive?? really? thats a good number.....

i bet this is where they get that 90 number from......

Quoted from Rodney...www.Fiero.net

" I decided someone should take the time and interest to form a club for these unique cars and help preserve their history. So was born the "MERA REGISTRY". I now have over 90 MERA's listed in the registry. The owners have been hard to locate but I keep finding them here and there."

say Rodney, is My Mera on that "totaled" list?
Mera X VIN......1G2PF1193HP209384.

thanks in advance
Daniel

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 10-18-2010).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
It's a car whose tail light lenses sell for 850 bucks!!!
PFF
System Bot
123mmmyFIERO

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-18-2010 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 123mmmyFIEROSend a Private Message to 123mmmyFIERODirect Link to This Post
im puttin one of these on my wish list......say hi to a future mera owner everyone.....123
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

im puttin one of these on my wish list......say hi to a future mera owner everyone.....123

GET YA SUM!!!! they are fun as all get out.....

dan
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-18-2010 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
hey rodney, yes dan is correct i read it from your words on fiero.net but i obviously misunderstood the 90 registered as only 90 left. sorry for the confusion. this post is for my correction.

yes my taillight lenses sell for 850.00 for a set. have sold several sets for that amount.

123 the nicest mera i know of is for sale in hawaii. i think you could likely have it shipped over for 1500. to 2000. ish.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
Ferrari as a company is just horrible...why someone would buy something from them is beginning to be beyond me. Now cars that you " buy " from them you don't get to keep...they keep it for you lol.

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.
#12 NYFOC Member
In recent times, the custom aftermarket car/automobile roadwheel has become a status symbol. These wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims". The term "rim" is incorrect because the rim is only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted )

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
The big problem for Ferrari for me is the poor quality and the expense of up keep. The 308 looked good but was only produced to make money for the race team and not as a good car. The true irony is that the 308 started out as a fiberglass car that MT could only get a 0-60 in 8.0s. The big difference between driving a Mera and 308 is the up keep. The Mera engine is worth less than a 308 oil change.

I do have one personal issue against the Mera. When I started on my kit build, my mom bought a Mera and drove it years before I got my car on the road.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
How much do you want to spend for a MERA?

Nelson

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Nelson's Mera Sales!

Go see Nelson, Go see Nelson, Go see Nelson

Honestly, Nelson is the guy to see for one of these.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Rick,

I sold the F308 rebody last week and have a bit of room in my basement. If the price was right, I might sell one of my cars and buy a marginally nicer one. BTW, the worst performenr I have is an 87 T-Top with a turbo 2.8. The one most likely to go would be the somewhat unfinished interior/exterior with a 383 engine on an 88 platform.

Nelson

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Nelson's Mera Sales!

Go see Nelson, Go see Nelson, Go see Nelson

Honestly, Nelson is the guy to see for one of these.

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

OI!!!!!!
this keeps showing up....must still be out there.

http://www.autotrader.com/f...ep=&engine=&certifie d=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&sownerid=573093&showZipError=n&make=PONT&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&s eller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=49024&advanced=&end_year=2011&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=1838&standard=false

if i could in your proxy, i would low ball the hell out of it. $6500-7000!!!!

then i's says hellos.....comrade

the pick-up is the same place as the HI one would be, but not as AWESOME as the HI one as is.
HI TOMMY!!!!! SUP??

D

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 10-22-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock