Hagerty Ins, claims handling? by SNAPPY829
Started on: 10-16-2010 07:13 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: Marvin McInnis on 10-21-2010 12:25 AM
SNAPPY829

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2010 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SNAPPY829Send a Private Message to SNAPPY829Direct Link to This Post
I am looking at Hagerty collector car ins. Does anyone have any experience with their claims dept., roadside assistance or anything I would need to be aware of or that I should ask for when I apply? Thanks, John.

------------------
If I only had ONE more part it will be finished...... famous last words.....

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2010 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Good luck getting Hagarty to insure your car. I've tried several times...they keep telling me that they don't insure cars as new as our Fieros. I've heard of some people getting them to insure their Fieros...but usually, they have another, older muscle car that is also insured with Hagarty.
SNAPPY829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SNAPPY829Send a Private Message to SNAPPY829Direct Link to This Post
thats interesting, wont insure a 25yr old car??? It qualifies for antique plates in illinois!! I will have to find out when I talk to them on monday. Thanks.
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
They were going to insure my 88 T-top GT several years ago but I went another way. Grundy will insure Fieros too and I prefer them to Hagerty.

------------------
8th Annual California Coast Run

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 10-17-2010).]

fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
I have Hagerty insurance for my Fiero. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512548/1
It's the only car I have insured with them. I had to send them links to photos of my car. It has to be a limited use show car, not a daily driver. And it has to be garaged. I've not made a claim.

Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
If you are looking at insurance for a car that comes out more then the weekend cruise to a show then you might want to look into assessed insurance i know geico has just started doing this here in Md and they come out and assess the car as a custom vehicle. It always helps to have receipts and of course links to comparable items for the car as well as cars that have sold for a decent amount that are as customized as your car or less, depending on how much they sold for. There are no restrictions on driving as far as i was told by my gekko rep.
Scottzilla79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I have an 88 insured with Haggerty so it can't be the age. It might be you are trying to insure it for less than their minimum which is like 7500 or so.
I had no problem insuring it for more then blue book or whatever since the payments were very low and its agreed value, so If its totaled I'll get 7500.
I've not had to make a claim but they've provided excellent customer service so far.
On the other hand, my daily driver is insured with Geico and I found it very difficult dealing with them to insure the Fiero. They refused to insure it as a regular car, and then had nothing but trouble in communicating with their collector car dept. My call was dropped during transfer many times, given the wrong number, wrong information, etc.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I have hagerty on my non running IMSA, I have it just incase the tree on my property decides to fall on it or in case some punk kid in my neighborhood decides to get a hold of a key and hate on it. I'v never had a problem with hagerty but than again my car dosent move under its own power yet so not much can happen to it.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I have hagerty on my non running IMSA, I have it just incase the tree on my property decides to fall on it or in case some punk kid in my neighborhood decides to get a hold of a key and hate on it. I'v never had a problem with hagerty but than again my car dosent move under its own power yet so not much can happen to it.

Doesn't Hagerty require the car to be kept in a locked garage?
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Doesn't Hagerty require the car to be kept in a locked garage?

Yes, so if a tree fall on it and it is not at a show or on the way to a show, but in your driveway, or it is keyed in the front of your house, I'd imagine they would give you heartache with that claim.

GMplastic

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GMplasticSend a Private Message to GMplasticDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1964 Corvette and a 1988 Mera insured with them. Never had a claim, but all of my cars are properly garaged. Two of my other Fieros (both 87 Gt's) are registered as collectors, but I have standard, full coverage insurance on them. The Hagerty representative that I talked to said that they can and will insure an entire collection. Since my GT's and C5's are all used rather frequently, I have regular insurance on them.

As for Hagerty, a friend of mine has a 1953 Ford f-150 streetrod. His kid took it out and was broad-sided when someone ran a red light. The Hagerty representative told him to take it to a repair shop of his choice, and they would cover the entire cost of the repairs.

Recently, my son (pff id = LaFierte), was hit in the back while driving our Red 86 gt. The other driver was insured by State Farm. The estimate at 2 body shops averaged $880 for repair. When the State Farm adjuster came to the house and viewed the overall condition of the car, she said the car was probably worth more than they had expected. She adjusted UPWARD to $1150 for repair! That is the first time I've ever heard of adjuster adjusting up! FYI, my regular full-coverage insurance is with Progressive.

Hope this helps...just my experience.

------------------
Gold '87 GT, Black '87 GT, Black '88 Mera, 64 Stingray coupe, '01 Corvette coupe, '03 Corvette coupe & caretaker of son's Yellow '87 GT, & Other son's Red '86 GT,
General tinkerer and doer of mechanical deeds

PFF
System Bot
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

Yes, so if a tree fall on it and it is not at a show or on the way to a show, but in your driveway, or it is keyed in the front of your house, I'd imagine they would give you heartache with that claim.

My understanding is you can drive the car how you want, but not for racing or everyday driving or commuting.
ChuckLS1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

On the other hand, my daily driver is insured with Geico and I found it very difficult dealing with them to insure the Fiero. They refused to insure it as a regular car, and then had nothing but trouble in communicating with their collector car dept. My call was dropped during transfer many times, given the wrong number, wrong information, etc.

I have my 88 Formula insured with GEICO and had no problem with them insuring it. They also insured my 86 GT with no problem.

------------------
Chuck
88 Formula W/fastback
2000 Grand Prix GTP
09 Dodge Caliber SXT

Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

Good luck getting Hagarty to insure your car. I've tried several times...they keep telling me that they don't insure cars as new as our Fieros. I've heard of some people getting them to insure their Fieros...but usually, they have another, older muscle car that is also insured with Hagarty.

I have mine covered with Hagarty. It's a cash policy for a set amount. I have never needed to use it so I can't help you on claims.

Vince
stumpkin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stumpkinSend a Private Message to stumpkinDirect Link to This Post
I have had Hagerty Insurance on my Fiero for over five years. My independent agent recommended Hagerty based on rates & claims she has handled over the years with her clients & collector cars. I have not had a claim so I cannot say how fast/good the claim processes is. I do like the rate and it is set based on an agreed upon value.

------------------
1986 Red s/e 2m6 5-sp, & 2006 Red Solstice 5-sp

litespd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

I have an 88 insured with Haggerty so it can't be the age. It might be you are trying to insure it for less than their minimum which is like 7500 or so.

Both my insurance agent (who has dealt with Hagerty quite a few times) and I have been told, on more than one occasion, that Hagerty will NOT insure my car. I have not even been given the opportunity to try and set a value on it...they have just flat out told me they won't insure it. Granted...I haven't tried them for a couple of years now. But my car is an 86 GT, and I had just gotten an appraisal of $8500 for it. I was 52 at the time, with a clean driving record, so age and driving record weren't factors.

Grundy has been much more receptive, although they raised their rate quote on me between the time I was finally able to get an online quote, and when I went to insure it. Needless to say, they didn't get my business, either.

[This message has been edited by litespd (edited 10-19-2010).]

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I have Hagerty. I have had them for a couple of years now. A few local friends also have it. Insuring just my Fiero for it's appraised $28K was not a problem at all.
A guy down the street with a modded 72 Camaro with a custom paint job had some damage to his hood and windshield when a few car signs blew onto his car during a sudden freak wind storm at a car show. Hagerty towed the car from the car show (windshield was trashed) to the body shop of his choice, had the car repaired quickly and he was at a cruise night 2 weeks later. He was very happy with the way the Hagerty rep handled everything.

You can drive your car as many miles as you want as long as it is not daily driven. (some insurance companies limit annual mileage)
They do require a locked garage when not being driven and that you own a daily driver car.
I think the minimum insurance is now $10K.

JCTaylor, Grundy, and American Classic are some of the others I have looked into. Cost was roughly the same. I went with Hagerty because of friends recommendations/experiences with them.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SNAPPY829:

Does anyone have any experience with their claims dept. ...

That's an excellent question that far too few people consider when choosing insurance. Sorry, but I have no experience with Hagerty to offer. Probably the best source of information like this is an independent agent/broker who has been doing business with many companies for at least 10 years. Even then, claims handling may vary depending upon something as simple as the personality of the adjuster assigned to handle your claim; some are more professional than others.

... my daily driver is insured with Geico and I found it very difficult dealing with them to insure the Fiero.

If you think that's fun, just wait until you have a claim with GEICO. Been there, done that. Never again!

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 10-19-2010).]

SNAPPY829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SNAPPY829Send a Private Message to SNAPPY829Direct Link to This Post
Appreciate the help, when I called hagerty and spoke to them the rep said that my car a virtually stock 86 se was likely not worth their 7500 minimum value so I wouldnt be able to qualify. I guess I could say its worth that and send pictures and it will look good but still may not work. Back to square 1 I guess...
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
The best thing to do is to get it professionally appraised.
It seems a lot easier if you have one.

As for others, JC Taylor has a form online.

They consider any vehicle over 19 years old as "Antique" for a stock car.

http://www.jctaylor.com/
baker4life

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for baker4lifeSend a Private Message to baker4lifeDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone, can ask what the cost per year is to insure the car as a classic?
Thanks
PFF
System Bot
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
I am insuring my cars with them and for $12,000 on this car below it is $232.00 a year for full coverage. When I had the Supercharged Fiero on the insurance it was only a little more a year as they new I couldn't drive two at one time. I am also 46 years old which helps and without tickets in over 15 years and no accidents. You cannot compare apples to oranges and each person will have different circumstances. Rick B

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by baker4life:

Hello everyone, can ask what the cost per year is to insure the car as a classic?
Thanks

Well the cost depends on your area, age, driving record, and amount agreed upon.
In my case I am paying $308 per year for $28K of coverage.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

If you think that's fun, just wait until you have a claim with GEICO. Been there, done that. Never again!

Oh I have been there, Basically it was an all way stop in a parking lot, I was on the right, had the right of way but this jerk jumped in front of me. But because he got in front of me fast enough they put me at fault. They were pretty terrible told me one thing and did another. I'll be looking to make a change when my policy is up.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

Scottzilla79

2573 posts
Member since Oct 2009

Originally posted by SNAPPY829:

Appreciate the help, when I called hagerty and spoke to them the rep said that my car a virtually stock 86 se was likely not worth their 7500 minimum value so I wouldnt be able to qualify. I guess I could say its worth that and send pictures and it will look good but still may not work. Back to square 1 I guess...

I ran into that problem but told them I would rather overinsure it at 7500 anyway because I had, and was planning to put more into the car. Also, I think my car was valued higher, it is a low mileage 88 formula.
I think the minimum might be your problem as you would be farther from it with your cars value. I think they use their own value guide.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Most insurance companies will refuse to insure property for much more than its actual value or replacement value ... and for good reason. See if you can think of it. They don't want your car to be worth more to you destroyed than it is intact; it provides too much incentive for you incur a catastrophic loss.

Say I insure my '88 Fiero for an agreed value of $50,000, more than ten times what it's actually worth. Would I be happy to see it totaled? You bet!

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 10-21-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock