Started on: 10-09-2010 07:31 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: fieroguru on 10-10-2010 08:16 PM
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
So I got tires online, and mounted them using my Max-Tool D-I-Y tire mounting machine. The rear tires are Big-O, so that's where I took them for a "re-balance". Free. They didn't even need my name, let alone any paperwork. Great! The fronts are Fuzion, which around here only come from the Firestone store. I took those there for "re-balance", it ended up costing over $23. I argued that I had already done 2/3 of the labor, removing them from the car, and re-installation. The store manager literally yelled at me to pay or leave my stuff there. One customer who had just walked in turned around and walked out. Anyway, I told the manager that I'd be e-mailing corporate headquarters, and complaining to the BBB, and Chamber of Commerce. Those last 2 have to wait for Monday, but I did send the e-mail.
Edit: forgot to mention, the manager KNEW I was a repeat customer, I have bought tires there. Never again.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 10-09-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageClick Here to Email JimmySSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
So if i'm reading this right, your ticked off cause they didn't balance your tires for free?
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakClick Here to Email Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

So if i'm reading this right, your ticked off cause they didn't balance your tires for free?

Yeah, I'm a little confused too. I don't know of ANY place that would simply balance anything tire for free. You're talking charge for labor and the little supplies (such as weights and such).

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 10-09-2010).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

Yeah, I'm a little confused too. I don't know of ANY place that would simply balance anything tire for free. You're talking charge for labor and the little supplies (such as weights and such).

Here big-o will balance and rotate for free if its their tires.. Oh, and repair nail holes.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
I would expect half price, since I did half the work, and that's what I told Firestone corporate in my e-mail. They charged me for work that I did for them.
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageClick Here to Email smartaxelSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
The chains here quoted me $20 PER tire to dismount them from a rim. You paid $23 for two tires to be balanced. That's not exactly a bad price. I guess I don't see how you can buy something online, then expect the brick and mortar store to give you a deal on their labor. These places charge a good $80 an hour, so you are talking $20 every 15 minutes. If it took them over 15 minutes to dismount and balance those tires, you still got a fair price. I am also curious. Why didn't you discuss cost before having them do the work? When I go to the local Belle tire, they always give me a price before doing anything. Sorry you are not happy with Firestone, but I have to say I side with them on this.
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageClick Here to Email Joe 1320Send a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
I typically pay $42 locally to have a pair of tires purchased at Tirerack.com mounted and balanced. $23 to balance a pair of tires seems to be in line.

------------------
84 2.5
87 328 GTB replica.
87 Coutach replica

Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
=( I thought I was gonna read a thread about Big-O and firestone tires lol.

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.
#12 NYFOC Member
In recent times, the custom aftermarket car/automobile roadwheel has become a status symbol. These wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims". The term "rim" is incorrect because the rim is only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted )

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

=( I thought I was gonna read a thread about Big-O and firestone tires lol.

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 158
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageClick Here to Email RACESend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
I will never go to Firestone again. When I recently bought new tires for one of my other cars they told me that my fairly new battery was faulty. What I found out 20 miles later was that mysteriously my alternator wiring harness had somehow managed to remove itself making it appear as though my battery was faulty. I am pretty sure that it wasn't a coincidence.

I followed through and filed a BBB report about them. Fierstone can $v(K it. They are **** to me. I will never trust them again.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

The chains here quoted me $20 PER tire to dismount them from a rim. You paid $23 for two tires to be balanced. That's not exactly a bad price. I guess I don't see how you can buy something online, then expect the brick and mortar store to give you a deal on their labor. These places charge a good $80 an hour, so you are talking $20 every 15 minutes. If it took them over 15 minutes to dismount and balance those tires, you still got a fair price. I am also curious. Why didn't you discuss cost before having them do the work? When I go to the local Belle tire, they always give me a price before doing anything. Sorry you are not happy with Firestone, but I have to say I side with them on this.

They did NOT dis-mount anything. I rolled the tires from the back seat of my other car, into their open service door. Once thet started, they had them both done and back to the doorway, within 5 minutes. Literally. So $10 would have been fair on the labor. 4 little weights aren't $6, since they re-use used weights from other wheels. And they charged me sales tax on the labor, which is illegal. I'll call a lawyer Monday.
$12 all total would be fair. Not double that.
Side with them? Glad you're rich.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 10-10-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
umm...just a thought here...unless you keep a lawyer on retainer or are friends with one...won't it end up costing you way more in the end then the 23 bucks...what does a lawyer charge for 1 hour of time...I'm sure it's gonna suck. yeah it might not really be worth it but at the end of the day...A its 23 bucks...B could you do it at home? C shop around first and read what people charge.

I don't mean to be a jerk but I think if you keep this up it'll bite you in the arse.
Brians86SE

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brians86SESend a Private Message to Brians86SEDirect Link to This Post
I would take the money that you are going to spend on a lawyer and buy your own bubble balancer setup. I think Harbor Freight has them. That way you never have to pay that money again!

Around here a mount and balance costs anywhere from 18-25 per tire!

If they charged sales tax where they shouldn't have, contact your state department of revenue service and report it.

brian
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 275
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

They did NOT dis-mount anything. I rolled the tires from the back seat of my other car, into their open service door. Once thet started, they had them both done and back to the doorway, within 5 minutes. Literally. So $10 would have been fair on the labor. 4 little weights aren't $6, since they re-use used weights from other wheels. And they charged me sales tax on the labor, which is illegal. I'll call a lawyer Monday.
$12 all total would be fair. Not double that.
Side with them? Glad you're rich.

I've got to ask, how old are you ?
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleClick Here to Email pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:
Why didn't you discuss cost before having them do the work?

Yeah... Don't complain about breaking a contract that wasn't even negotiated.

I'll call a lawyer Monday. $12 all total would be fair. Not double that. Side with them? Glad you're rich.

Sounds like you have time and money to waste... Or maybe wasting time and money on stupid crap like this is the reason you're not "rich" yourself...
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Wow, you guys are dangerously close to insulting the OP..... why? He had what he deems as a bad experience, and I can see why if....

1 The shop did not tell him what the fees would be until the tires were done (this is actually illegal in many states)
2 They charged him a mounting fee for tires that were already mounted (charging for a service you didn't provide is illegal in almost all states)
3 They charged him sales tax on labor (which is illegal in most states actually unless the state has a service tax in place)
4 The staff was not professional or courteous to him (especially if he was calm and courteous to them which we shouldn't assume he wasn't)

If you don't agree with him, fine, but asking his age and implying he's stupid for not letting it go? You guys could have just ignored the thread instead of trying to insult the guy's age or intelligence. Many people on this forum have gotten really inconsiderate on many levels and are starting to act like a lot of the tuner forum jerks honestly. Whatever happened to not saying anything at all if you didn't have anything positive to say? I guess it's easier when you're not looking someone in the face.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 10-10-2010).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 275
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Hey I just asked his age, there was no negative spin on the question, it was completely neutral.

You on the other hand, are exactly the type person that starts fires !!!
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILEClick Here to Email MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEDirect Link to This Post
So, I'm still confused... You bought the tires online. So even if they were the exact same tires you can buy at Firestone or Big-O, Don't they normally only rebalanced tires that they sold? That would mean you're technically stealing from them by getting a free "rebalance" on a tire you bought elsewhere, tricking them into thinking they were their tires??...

On an unrelated note, most shops will never give you a deal on a "flat rate" item even if you do half the work yourself. Most shops have a 1/2 hour minimum or similar. I would never allow anyone to work on my stuff without knowing the price first.

------------------

Intercooled SC3800 II/III mated to a Getrag. 19's with 13" Brakes on all 4 corners. 5 years Avionics & 15 years Car Electronics.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

So I got tires online, and mounted them using my Max-Tool D-I-Y tire mounting machine. The rear tires are Big-O, so that's where I took them for a "re-balance". Free.

So you took tires you bought somewhere else, mounted yourself, and then took them to Firestone for a "re-balance" for free?
A free re-balance is to, and pay close attention here because this is the important part, RE-balance tires they've already mounted and balanced. You never paid to have them mounted or balanced by Firestone in the first place, therefore you aren't entitled to a free "re-balance."

So you defrauded them out of their service because you didn't buy those tires or have them mounted there to begin with.
What's next - taking your car in for a free lifetime "re-alignment" when you've never paid for the first one to begin with?

Go on. Call a lawyer. Then explain how you planned out in advance to commit fraud.

Preserved for the record:

So I got tires online, and mounted them using my Max-Tool D-I-Y tire mounting machine. The rear tires are Big-O, so that's where I took them for a "re-balance". Free. They didn't even need my name, let alone any paperwork. Great! The fronts are Fuzion, which around here only come from the Firestone store. I took those there for "re-balance", it ended up costing over $23. I argued that I had already done 2/3 of the labor, removing them from the car, and re-installation. The store manager literally yelled at me to pay or leave my stuff there. One customer who had just walked in turned around and walked out. Anyway, I told the manager that I'd be e-mailing corporate headquarters, and complaining to the BBB, and Chamber of Commerce. Those last 2 have to wait for Monday, but I did send the e-mail.
Edit: forgot to mention, the manager KNEW I was a repeat customer, I have bought tires there. Never again.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 10-10-2010).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Just find the local used tire liquidator and then find out who his partner is to get them mounted and balanced.
I purchased a used set of 4 tires for my truck for $100 and had them mounted/balanced and installed on my truck for $32 cash.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock