Started on: 09-26-2010 08:24 PM
Replies: 43
Last post by: Rick 88 on 10-11-2010 08:18 PM
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Got the motor stuffed into the 88 coupe I've been working on. Had to take a break to fix my Father-in-law's blazer, then wanted to fix my own...

------------------
88 GT "The Stray" 4.9L
86 SE ChopTop 4 Speed 3.4 "The Short Bus" SOLD!
07 Solstice GXP 2.0L turbo
08 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Dually.
05 Tahoe on 20's (Kid hauler)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. It also looks like you have room between the scoop and the roof line when opened. You can move the strut higher up towards the hinge and then have a larger vent area if you decide to cut out the decklid for venting.
deezil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! It Looks bad ass!

I Bought one of these awhile back with no mounting hardware and no shock.

Could you please give me the Part# and brand of your shock if its on the sticker?

If not can you get me the overall length on the shock when its collapsed and extended?
Does yours have a sheetmetal base?

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunDirect Link to This Post

Looks very nice. Now........ all that is remaining is to make it functional.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
I'll be cutting the decklid next time I get a few hours. It is going to end up feeding the 4.9 directly. True ram air.

The hinge is just a normal door hinge. I'll be looking for something a little more fitting soon.

The strut is a Mighty Lift (autozone) E95092
About 12 1/2 extended and 7 3/4 retracted.

It doesn't come with the mounting hardware though. Just the strut.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
No chopping it now!
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

No chopping it now!

That's what YOU think.
deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info.
How does the bracket for the strut attach to the inside of the scoop?
Can you get a pic of that for me?
katatak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
That Caddy loves the cool air! The XTC runs so much better and gets way better mileage since I installed the deck lid scoops and oval air cleaner setup. I like the look of the scoop on the GT!

Looky what I found right here in Hell Paso!

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.../cto/1973933620.html

Nothing to chop on this one!

Pat
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-26-2010 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
You know, I am just not feeling it. I think that you should send it up north, and I will deal with the emberassment, so you don't have to.

------------------

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
The bracket inside is the same as the decklid. There is a fiberglass "plate" from side to side that the ball bracket attaches to. You could bolt in a flat piece of metal to do the same thing. Pretty simple looking.

OK, ok, ok. It's functional now!
Not ram air yet, but after i rig up some kinda hose, it will be.

I'll be taking it on a 250 mile trip to work tomorrow. I'll let you guys know if I see any diference. The caddy doesn't run hot. It just seems like under the hood isn't getting alot of circulation. If this helps, I may leave it like it is and just open it up some more. I left it round for the hose I might add later.

PFF
System Bot
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Carver1

2843 posts
Member since Nov 2000

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

You know, I am just not feeling it. I think that you should send it up north, and I will deal with the emberassment, so you don't have to.

I've tried that line a few times.....it never works!
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Carver1

2843 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Carver1

2843 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Next up is adding a third brake light similar to the Indy pace car strobe.....

Might put a red led across the opening and one on the vented hood. They will be tucked out of view for a dim glow. It'll give everyone another reason to think it's on fire.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the info you pm'ed me on the strut carver.. Cant wait to go get one for my car. I would give you a +1 but i already have givin you one.
SKIDMARK

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SKIDMARKSend a Private Message to SKIDMARKDirect Link to This Post
Always thought these were stupid unless made functional. See a lot of them at car shows that are just trophy pieces. Looks like you're doing it right....nice job.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:

Might put a red led across the opening and one on the vented hood. They will be tucked out of view for a dim glow. It'll give everyone another reason to think it's on fire.

If you could find a 67 to 70 Eldorado tailight, you could glass it into the scoop for a third brake light. It would follow the design of the scoop. Now paint that scoop screen black, and make some "SD-4.9" decals for the sides of it!
deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the picture carver1. What are you guys doing for the front clasp?
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunDirect Link to This Post

Where or from whom did you acquire the scoop? I have not seen them available on the market in quiet a while or at least that I'm aware.

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:

Where or from whom did you acquire the scoop? I have not seen them available on the market in quiet a while or at least that I'm aware.

HI all

Check out the link below.... After it loads, click on fiberglass parts in the upper right hand corner, near the bottom........ $$ 375 including hardware, dunno about shipping price....

http://www.fierowarehouse.com/

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Got mine on Craigslist. I wasn't even really looking for one, but the price was right!
I'm glad I "scooped" it up!
PFF
System Bot
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Drove it almost 300 miles today!
It runs alot cooler now. The center console used to heat up alot after about an hour. Now it stays cool all day. With the sunroof open, you can hear that v8 sucking hard. After I get the hose installed, I'm sure it will be twice as loud.
Seems to run a little better, but fuel mileage is down. (maybe because of my right foot listening to the scoop over my head) Hmmmm...
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Generally the scoops do not make much change and some have even had more heat issues with the air going in. GM makes the air come up from under the car to vent out the rear vents. In some cased it has disrupted the air in the comparment. Just need to be careful and watch as the end results are not always what you expect as some have found.

Just because it looks functional does not always means it works.

A non functional scoop is no worse than someone who has put a bunch of odd ground FX on their car that really do nothing either. The scoops look good on any Fiero and are a part of their Pontiac history and herritage.

I think you will like it once it is done functional or not. I just hope it all works out either way.

I kept mine closed as I have no heat issues and with the closed loop system on the 2.8 V6 more air in the engine would not gain any power. Most of Pontiac's show cars did not have the scoop functional either.
The scoop was ment for down draft injectors on a race car so their real use just was never seen in most Fiero's.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 09-27-2010).]

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
This was not done in order to get more power. (The 4.9 took care of that problem )
It was cheap, looked good, and I had a place to put it.
I'm not running the factory air cleaner setup, so it is taking the air directly from the engine bay through a cheapo 8 inch air cleaner.
Once I fab up a filter inside the scoop, and feed it directly to the engine, it will at least be the same as a stock setup that takes air from the side.
The way it is setup now, it does cool the engine bay. If anything, it is just moving more air around, and getting rid of some of the heat. It may just be letting the warm out out of the decklid, similar to the stock vents on either side.
So far, so good. I like it!
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

This was not done in order to get more power. (The 4.9 took care of that problem )
It was cheap, looked good, and I had a place to put it.
I'm not running the factory air cleaner setup, so it is taking the air directly from the engine bay through a cheapo 8 inch air cleaner.
Once I fab up a filter inside the scoop, and feed it directly to the engine, it will at least be the same as a stock setup that takes air from the side.
The way it is setup now, it does cool the engine bay. If anything, it is just moving more air around, and getting rid of some of the heat. It may just be letting the warm out out of the decklid, similar to the stock vents on either side.
So far, so good. I like it!

When they are opened up I have seen some help and some hurt. It may all depend on the size of the hole and where in the lid it is etc.

Either way they look good on a Fiero.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

http://www.chromeglow.com/index.asp?category=16864
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Decided to change the mounting a little bit. I am putting an air filter under the scoop, so the strut has to go.
Gotta Mad Max feel to it now.

Also got the decklid strut installed also.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Carver1

2843 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Here is my latching mechanism.
When done, it will be opened remotely along with the decklid.
With my keyless remote, it should pop the scoop, then the decklid will raise by itself.
Timing will be the key if I wanna keep my back window!
This will also eliminate the front manual latch for a cleaner look.

After I finish fitting it and testing it, I will move to the 3rd brake light.

[This message has been edited by Carver1 (edited 10-03-2010).]

deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post
Looks weird..... I like it..
What locking solonoid are you using for the scoop?
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Genius!
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
It is a stock rear decklid latch that I modified to work on the scoop. I flipped it upside down, then trimmed to fit. The "D" latch will be installed on the underside of the scoop. I'm going to wire it up with the trunk popper, so they work together.
PFF
System Bot
SNAPPY829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SNAPPY829Send a Private Message to SNAPPY829Direct Link to This Post
Now thats cool, too bad you couldnt fit the stuts back on the inside for a neater look but so what, I like it. The trunk poppoer idea is killer! Now if you could find a way to make the whole thing raise (deck lid) as you pop the trunk that would be the icing on the cake!!!

------------------
If I only had ONE more part it will be finished...... famous last words.....

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by SNAPPY829:

Now if you could find a way to make the whole thing raise (deck lid) as you pop the trunk that would be the icing on the cake!!!

That is the plan!
The scoop will have a spring inside that will allow it to raise by itself when popped. The same idea will be for the decklid also. The strut has plenty of force to raise it with a little help when popped.
After a few inches, it takes off on it's own.
I'll have a video up after I get the timing right.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Great minds think alike, I had made an attempt years ago with the one on my car. Instead of using a trunk latch, I was trying to use a caddy fuel door release solenoid. I had all the electrical worked out and semi-functional. But, the one thing I couldn't get to work was getting the scoop to "pop" off the decklid and raise on it's own. It would raise the same as yours, but needed a little help to get moving. I finally gave up and just took it off...as I went a different route with my car. -Jason
katatak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
That scoop will look funny after you chop the top! - J/K.... I love the struts on the outside - it fits the "stealth fighter" character of the car. Is that a pre fab strut kit for the decklid or is that "Carver Engineered"? - If so, I need more details! Looking to do the same for the XTC declid - more so to keep it from "flying" up - plus I am working on a remote trunk latch/poper setup to eliminate the old school hood pins. I really just need the part number of the strut you used.

Something you may want to try for the 4.9 - I picked up a set of injectors out of a late model Crown Vic - they are Bosch type 2's. Then I sent them off to Mr. Injector for cleaning service. You can also get them off EBay for relatively cheap. We are getting 21 mpg out of the XTC around town plus it feels way more responsive. Here's a link to my 4.9 Injector Quest!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/107317.html

Pat
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
It's Robo Scoop!
wolf63

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wolf63Send a Private Message to wolf63Direct Link to This Post
what about a 2 stage switch? the trunk release fires the solenoid on the scoop, then once the scoop clears "X" point it closes another switch that passes the current on to the main trunk solenoid? sort of like the door switch that turns on the dome lights.

[This message has been edited by wolf63 (edited 10-05-2010).]

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by wolf63:

what about a 2 stage switch? the trunk release fires the solenoid on the scoop, then once the scoop clears "X" point it closes another switch that passes the current on to the main trunk solenoid? sort of like the door switch that turns on the dome lights.

That is what I need!
Sounds simple enough. I'll get back to you after I finger this out....

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
How about the third brake light from an 1997 Eagle Talon?
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
Here is a neat thing for you to try for making the brake light...
http://forums.nasioc.com/fo...thread.php?t=1236593

I would experment with it, but try adding red food coloring to the clear? OR clear lens with red bulbs.
First, make a mold of the back of your scoop (ask Pat how ) then do like the link says!!
easy stuff to work with!!

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 10-06-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock