Help me find lightweight wheels by ALLTRBO
Started on: 09-25-2010 08:21 AM
Replies: 36
Last post by: ALLTRBO on 10-19-2010 12:44 PM
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
I'm looking for mid-priced lightweight 5x100 17"-18" wheels.
I much prefer 5-spokes but would almost consider others if everything else was right. They need to be available in staggered widths in the range of 7"-10", offsets in the 40mm range. Lightweight means something around 15-20lb.
I don't want to spend much more than $250/wheel if I can avoid it.

To be more specific, the ideal setup is 17x7.5 front with a 45mm offset and a 17x9 or 18x9 rear with a 35mm offset. The widths need to be staggered for tires that match the Fiero's weight distribution and I like the staggered diameter on Fieros which is why I'm considering 18's on the rear. IMHO, anything bigger than 18" in the back and 17" in the front looks very stupid on a Fiero. The larger diameter, extra weight and MOI, and thinner sidewall only hurts performance and ride quality.
I'd like 5 spokes that extend to the outer rims and a machined face with the inner part painted black.

I've been scouring the internet but I don't have lots of time to really get into it. I've found a few that almost fit my criteria, but not quite. I like the Enkei RP03's (though I like a wider spoke than these) and they're light, but they're only available in an 8" width on 5x100 at 17" or 18". Too bad I can't use 5x114.3, I could get the perfect combo!
If you have any ideas, even just brands to recommend looking at, it would be much appreciated.

Here's what I have on my car now (though the paint job is PS'd). I love the style of these VW wheels, but they're 17x7 all the way around and the 35mm offset is awful on the front of my '88. In addition, they weigh 24lbs each. For someone with a pre-'88 who doesn't care about eeking out every ounce of performance, these are great wheels! I'll be selling them (with the Yokohama S-drive tires) when I find my new wheels.

Here are the Enkei RP03's in silver-

------------------

'10 Camaro LT/RS, 312hp V6 6-speed
'88 Fiero GT - coming soon! - Project MIDTRBO

The rest of my cars are for sale
There's no replacement for turbo placement

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
Ah, the '88 dilemma...

I don't know if you have a problem going used, but keep your eye on http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?803 and http://forums.nasioc.com/fo...rumdisplay.php?f=152

First one is VW 5x100 classifieds, the second is Subaru classifieds, so you'll have to weed out the 5x114.3 sales. As for the staggered fitment, you'll probably find more guys running that setup on the VW forum. I got a good deal on a set of lightweight OZ wheels from the VW forum a couple months ago.

Best of luck with your search, wheel shopping is a long process when you're looking for the right thing!
PURPLE REIGN

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post
RacingHart makes some of the lightest wheels on the market...
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Check out 5zigen wheels.
They used to have staggered wheels that fit our cars. Been a while since I checked, though.

http://www.5zigenusa.com/en.../products/index.html
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I was going to suggest Enkei but it looks like you already have looked into them. I can't remember what price range some of the O.Z. wheels fall into, but the supperleggera or ultraleggera are nice, although not 5 spokes.

------------------

Check out my build!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
If you go with 13" rims you can save lot more weight, granted, they'll look really dumb. Just kidding. BTW: can you put a few more views of your car up? I'll be repainting mine basicaly the same, black lower with silver upper and would liek to see how you did the front and rear, real nice car you have there.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
I run 17x7et48 and 17x8et 35 5Zigen fn01r-c's. They are around 16lbs per wheel.

The other set of wheels that I really like are the Work Emotion CR Kai wheels. You could run a 17x7et48 in the front and either a 17x8et42 or an 18x8.5et37 or et30. These are going run between $350 to $450 per wheel though.

Edit: The Work wheels are between 15 and 17lbs depending on exact size.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph
gmtuners.com -Build info

[This message has been edited by AkursedX (edited 09-25-2010).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
This is probably not what you are looking for but check out the rest of the website and filter your search results down to what you are looking for.
http://www.wheelsnext.com/w...20w%7C%20Stripe.html
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldDirect Link to This Post
Check out http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/ They make some cool looking, very lightweight wheels. If I had the money, These are the brand I would get.

------------------
1986 SE V6 Auto. 114K miles.
1995 F-150 4.9l Straight 6, Port and polished head, oversize valves, mild cam.

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
I am in much the same predicament as I can only find a decent 17 X 7.5 wheel. When I started looking for a staggered wheel the cost went through the roof. Leading me to think it might be much cheaper to have Erik at HT Motorsports make me a set of Corvette hubs that will fit on the Fiero. Staggered 'Vette wheels can be found far cheaper and the cost of the hub is less than the extra I will have to pay for staggered wheel to fit the Fiero 5 x 100 pattern.

\/\/

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My replacement GT trunk seals are now in production and shipping. $95 + $15 flat rate shipping to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) or buy two and pay only a single shipping rate! More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2010 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
,,Lite weight wheels give an acceleration advantage ,, the car pulls stronger the first 100 feet..

.. The wheels are directly connected to the crankshaft,,like having a lighter flywheel ..

,, all the fancy wheels go back to the original ,spoke,mag,ect that were developed for increased performance,, you gotta get a lot of weight moving from a slow or standing start..
.. one more thing to give you an advantage .lite weight wheels and tires
PFF
System Bot
lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
centerline used to make a 5 star forged lightweight wheel. . Storm is what they were called, so google Centerline Storm and images will come up. i use a set when drag racing.
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
Ohhhh take the 5zigen recommendation! http://www.5zigenusa.com/en...5zigen/gravis-1.html 5x100 with staggered options!
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Wow, awesome response, thanks guys!

Originally posted by ConvictedRedneck:
Ah, the '88 dilemma...

I don't know if you have a problem going used, but keep your eye on http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?803 and http://forums.nasioc.com/fo...rumdisplay.php?f=152

First one is VW 5x100 classifieds, the second is Subaru classifieds, so you'll have to weed out the 5x114.3 sales. As for the staggered fitment, you'll probably find more guys running that setup on the VW forum. I got a good deal on a set of lightweight OZ wheels from the VW forum a couple months ago.

Best of luck with your search, wheel shopping is a long process when you're looking for the right thing!

No problem going used if the wheels are in great shape. I forgot about the the vwvortex classifieds and never thought about the NASIOC classifieds, thanks a lot for that. I've now looked a good bit at the current wheels FS in both, it seems that they're all non-staggered widths, but that makes sense. I'll keep an eye out.

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:
RacingHart makes some of the lightest wheels on the market...

I can't seem to find any that match what I need, but then I can't even find their website, so I dunno?
I've always loved the RH C5's (discontinued AFAIK) but they're heavy and the size selection sucks (so no used ones either). :/

Originally posted by Raydar:
Check out 5zigen wheels.
They used to have staggered wheels that fit our cars. Been a while since I checked, though.

http://www.5zigenusa.com/en.../products/index.html

They have none I like in the sizes I need.

Originally posted by doublec4:
I was going to suggest Enkei but it looks like you already have looked into them. I can't remember what price range some of the O.Z. wheels fall into, but the supperleggera or ultraleggera are nice, although not 5 spokes.

There are only a couple Enkei's I like at all (one mentioned above), but they don't quite fit right. :/
Unfortunately the few O.Z.'s I like aren't even close. :/

Originally posted by Francis T:
If you go with 13" rims you can save lot more weight, granted, they'll look really dumb. Just kidding. BTW: can you put a few more views of your car up? I'll be repainting mine basicaly the same, black lower with silver upper and would liek to see how you did the front and rear, real nice car you have there.

LOL, 13's wouldn't fit over my 12" brakes, let alone 13" brakes if I need to upgrade.
As previously mentioned, the paint job is just photoshopped for now, the car is actually all red. It will be those colors before long, though. If lildevil is still up for it, he'll be painting my car the above colors.
Sorry for making it look so real!

Originally posted by AkursedX:
I run 17x7et48 and 17x8et 35 5Zigen fn01r-c's. They are around 16lbs per wheel.

The other set of wheels that I really like are the Work Emotion CR Kai wheels. You could run a 17x7et48 in the front and either a 17x8et42 or an 18x8.5et37 or et30. These are going run between $350 to $450 per wheel though.

Edit: The Work wheels are between 15 and 17lbs depending on exact size.

The FN01R-C's are so close! The sizes are perfect for 275/18 rears and 225/17 fronts and with the proper offsets and they're nice and light, but I just can't get past the inward curve of the spokes before they reach the rims, I really can't stand it. No offense, I know you like them on your car!
The Work's that you mention don't do it at all for me, either. There are some other Work's that I like, but none are right in the other respects.

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
This is probably not what you are looking for but check out the rest of the website and filter your search results down to what you are looking for.
http://www.wheelsnext.com/w...20w%7C%20Stripe.html

Right, I don't like those particular wheels, but thanks for the search tip! I've looked at every wheel they sell that comes close to what I need, but none are quite 'all there'. :/

Originally posted by BlackEmrald:
Check out http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/ They make some cool looking, very lightweight wheels. If I had the money, These are the brand I would get.

I really like the Pro Race 2's, but they aren't wide enough. It costs about $200/wheel on average to have them widened, that would make them prohibitively expensive. Same problem with a lot of the wheels I like, including other Team Dynamic wheels.

Originally posted by infinitewill:
I am in much the same predicament as I can only find a decent 17 X 7.5 wheel. When I started looking for a staggered wheel the cost went through the roof. Leading me to think it might be much cheaper to have Erik at HT Motorsports make me a set of Corvette hubs that will fit on the Fiero. Staggered 'Vette wheels can be found far cheaper and the cost of the hub is less than the extra I will have to pay for staggered wheel to fit the Fiero 5 x 100 pattern.

\/\/

I've briefly thought of that, and you may be on to something! I already plan on getting drop spindles from him if he's worked out the previous issues, and my 12" Corvette rotors already fit with a simple switch of the bolt holes. That would leave the rear hubs, and I think he may be able to do them too? Maybe he could go as far as making '88 rear drop spindles? That would PROPERLY lower the rear of an '88, no other method does.
Gotta think this one out more, email Erik, and look for 'fitting' 5x120.7 wheels. Let me know if you find anything out.

Originally posted by uhlanstan:
,,Lite weight wheels give an acceleration advantage ,, the car pulls stronger the first 100 feet..

.. The wheels are directly connected to the crankshaft,,like having a lighter flywheel ..

,, all the fancy wheels go back to the original ,spoke,mag,ect that were developed for increased performance,, you gotta get a lot of weight moving from a slow or standing start..
.. one more thing to give you an advantage .lite weight wheels and tires

Umm, yep.

Originally posted by lildevil:
centerline used to make a 5 star forged lightweight wheel. . Storm is what they were called, so google Centerline Storm and images will come up. i use a set when drag racing.

Beautiful wheels! But alas, like the Team Dynamics, they aren't wide enough. 275mm is the narrowest I'll go in the back, and they will require at least an 8.5" wheel, better yet 9". Same problem with a few of the other Centerline's that I like.
Thanks for the tip. BTW, are you still up for painting my car like the photoshop above? It isn't ready to paint just yet, but the plan is still the same. It's getting close!

Ohhhh take the 5zigen recommendation! http://www.5zigenusa.com/en...5zigen/gravis-1.html 5x100 with staggered options!

I have considered 6-spokes though they aren't my favorite. Unfortunately, though, the ones posted are only available in 18+ (heh). I won't let anything larger than 17's touch the front of my Fiero. :/

...Phew! I'm not trying to shoot everyone down, I'm just succeeding.
You have all given me some great ideas and things to look for, it's much appreciated! I'm still very open to suggestions for sure, so keep them coming.

------------------

'10 Camaro LT/RS, 312hp V6 6-speed
'88 Fiero GT - coming soon! - Project MIDTRBO

The rest of my cars are for sale
There's no replacement for turbo placement

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 09-26-2010).]

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:
The FN01R-C's are so close! The sizes are perfect for 275/18 rears and 225/17 fronts and with the proper offsets and they're nice and light, but I just can't get past the inward curve of the spokes before they reach the rims, I really can't stand it. No offense, I know you like them on your car!
The Work's that you mention don't do it at all for me, either. There are some other Work's that I like, but none are right in the other respects.

Personally, the Fn01r-c's aren't my favorite in the looks department either, but when it came to looking for something that was lightweight, and the proper offsets and widths, I learned that beggars can't be choosers. Obviously you are seeing how hard it is to find what you need.

If looks are a serious concern to you, you might want to think about wheel-widening. We have a place locally that does this www.weldcraftwheels.com It's around $200/wheel. Doing this would open up a whole lot more wheel options. I have heard nothing but good things about their work and people use them on 8 and 9 second drag cars. I have been considering going this route myself with another set of wheels this way I could run a 9" wheel out back.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph
gmtuners.com -Build info

ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
No offense taken here either, wheels are a critical part of the car and at $1k purchase, it's worth the time that goes into looking for the perfect set. To be honest, the Enkei RP03's really seem to fit the bill the closest to all your criteria, which isn't bad, they are a gorgeous wheel. Price might be the only problem with them.
IMSA/GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA/GTSend a Private Message to IMSA/GTDirect Link to This Post
Call Louis @ Centerline wheels. Explain what you are looking for. These guys are an American wheel manufacturer and so are able to match your offset, bolt pattern, diameter, and width specs. Prices should be within your budget also. Their compettition series are track and DOT approved too.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2010 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the delay, back to this subject.

Originally posted by AkursedX:
Personally, the Fn01r-c's aren't my favorite in the looks department either, but when it came to looking for something that was lightweight, and the proper offsets and widths, I learned that beggars can't be choosers. Obviously you are seeing how hard it is to find what you need.

That's understandable, but realize I am not a beggar in this case, I'm a paying customer so I definitely can be a chooser. It would be different entirely if someone were giving me a set of wheels. I'm an optimist on the subject, I believe I can have my cake and eat it too. Yes, the aesthetics are that important to me, even as much as the performance. I have OCD and it sounds stupid, but the driving experience would be ruined just knowing non-liked wheels would be on my car. I like to stare at the outside and drool, too, and that would stick out like a rotten thumb in my mind. I'm willing to accept less than my "perfect" look by venturing out a bit for sure, but there are cues that I will not accept.
I appreciate the advice on widening. It is definitely an option, but my wife is wholly against the idea of $1k wheels anyway (less tires), so that would be rather difficult to get approved by her (we share our incomes 100%, a good thing). We'll see.

No offense taken here either, wheels are a critical part of the car and at $1k purchase, it's worth the time that goes into looking for the perfect set. To be honest, the Enkei RP03's really seem to fit the bill the closest to all your criteria, which isn't bad, they are a gorgeous wheel. Price might be the only problem with them.

Thanks. The RP03's are high on the list for sure, but there are even better ones for me from what I've found. Several that are very very close. I've gotta have the correct offset and width range, it's critical for maximized performance.

Originally posted by IMSA/GT:
Call Louis @ Centerline wheels. Explain what you are looking for. These guys are an American wheel manufacturer and so are able to match your offset, bolt pattern, diameter, and width specs. Prices should be within your budget also. Their compettition series are track and DOT approved too.

Thanks very much for the advice, I didn't know they were willing to work with the specs. Those Storm's are truly gorgeous and very light.

Lots more to look into.
Thanks guys!
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2010 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:

Here's a pic of the 87 T-Top with the Eibach's installed up front, I also used RD's 1/2" lowering ball joints.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
total side note... if you're looking to reduce rotating mass at the wheel assembly, you should go looking for Porsche 944 wheel lugs.

5 Porsche 944 wheel lugs weigh the equivelant to a SINGLE Fiero wheel lug.

Don't ask me how or why... but they are...

never tried to see if they would fit a Fiero's bolt thread, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
What are they, aluminium?

At a 50 mm radius, and with the light weight of the stock lugs anyway, it won't change much.

I wouldn't want to install a weaker fastener for basically zero perceptible gain.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Very large and expensive:
http://www.ccwheel.com/whee...-display.php?id=505a

Similar:
http://www.kodiakracingwhee.../images/mr2wheel.jpg
http://www.kodiakracingwheels.com/prices.html

Fixed it for ya.

I'm not worried about the lug nuts, heh. The mass is located very close to the center so the rotating mass won't improve to any measurable degree, and I might save one pound if that? Not a big deal to me, really. Thanks for suggestion though. If I come across a set for cheap I'd probably see if they fit.

Now... Oh please God please forgive me for this photoshop of blasphemy. Ricer I am not nor do I ever want to be.
However... on this sleepless night of which I can barely see, this almost looks appealing to me! I like the thought of nothing but black and blue, it's simple and matching. It might work with the car?
Oh, and since I can't see and am on sleeping pills, this is right up there among the worst photoshop jobs that I have ever released to the public.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 10-05-2010).]

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Very large and expensive:
http://www.ccwheel.com/whee...-display.php?id=505a

Fixed it for ya.

For a one piece forged wheel, that's not bad. You can pay half again that much for BBS's.
The Kodiaks are also an absolute bargain compared to HRE's.

These are pretty nice, too:
http://www.ccwheel.com/whee...-display.php?id=LM20
And three piece vice one piece.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 10-05-2010).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Nice wheels but I see no staggering option. All wider ones are not 5x100
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Alas, the 5Zigens are discontinued. I was going to try to get a set of those too, in the staggered configuration. I guess I'll keep watching this thread to see if anything else jumps out at me.
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Nice wheels but I see no staggering option. All wider ones are not 5x100

Ah, my mistake. By staggered I was referring to the offset; forgot he wanted the width staggered.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

For a one piece forged wheel, that's not bad. You can pay half again that much for BBS's.
The Kodiaks are also an absolute bargain compared to HRE's.

These are pretty nice, too:
http://www.ccwheel.com/whee...-display.php?id=LM20
And three piece vice one piece.

Oh I agree, but you must have forgotten to read the rest of the thread, and you must have forgotten about that sweet little wife of mine that you hooked me up with.

From that link above - "Starting from $2500 a set"

I don't want to spend much more than $250/wheel if I can avoid it.

...my wife is wholly against the idea of $1k wheels anyway (less tires, even)

In fact, she may make me sell my current wheels/tires before I can buy new ones. That'll leave my Fiero up on jackstands (again) for a few weeks. I could go a little above $1000/set, but not much (maybe $1200), I'd have to justify that too.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 10-05-2010).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Ah, my mistake. By staggered I was referring to the offset; forgot he wanted the width staggered.

That's okay, I couldn't even get past the fact that they don't come in 17's and they're discontinued. I didn't even get as far as the widths, offsets, bolt patterns, or weight.

Yeah, in this case, 'staggered' applies three ways - diameter, width, and offset. That means pretty much nothing is the same, (heh), hence the difficulties.

...I'm glad no one has said anything about the nasty PS above. I should go and delete it now, for my eyes have been opened.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Man, I really need to post in this thread the specific interests that I've found. I can't remember them after looking at hundreds of wheels. :/

I finally re-searched for and found a possibility I was looking at the other day, but they are discontinued so I'd have to find them used, which is okay because they were too expensive anyway.

Gram Lights T57-RC, and they came in all the right sizes. I 'might' be able to stuff a moderate diameter 275 onto an 18x8.5.
Sexy, strong, light. I'm keeping my eyes open for used, I'd probably have to buy two different sets from people then match up my fronts and rears, then sell the other identical set to one of you guys.
http://www.upgrademotoring....eels/gramlts57rc.htm

There was a wheel with the same situation above that I liked also and hoped to find used, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. All I remember is that they had hollow (5) spokes and were supposed to be very light and strong. They also came in the perfect sizes for me.
I'll keep re-searching for those ones, I actually found the two sets that I needed but they had already been sold. That's promising, being that I found both sets upon my first search.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I dont know whop makes them but the wheels on my IMSA are a 3 peice type of wheel that has a magnesium core with 2 polished alumnium lips held together with what looks like a bunch of allen head screws. There so light weight its stupidI i took them off for the 1st time and i think the tuire wheighs more than the rim itself. If i can locate a manufature's lable on them i'll let you in on it there not the prettyist things on the road but a lot of guys on my local tuner forum likes them.
PFF
System Bot
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Check out tirerack.com. Look up wheels for 2007 Pontiac Vibe. They use the same bolt pattern and good offsets. Just make sure to get the proper Fiero concentric rings. Tirerack also recently added the ability to sort by weight which should help.

ASA brand has a few options (AR1 17x8 = ~21lb, $148 each). There are several finishes/styles to choose from with 17x7+38mm, and 17x8 or 18x8+35mm offset. Also a few other brands. If your willing to go 16" you can save quite a bit more on weight and allow use of higher profile for better ride comfort.

I run ASA AR1's 16x7, 18lbs each (black w/machined lip look like your PS above). They are a superb street wheel IMHO. Lighter then stock but not so light they destroy ride quality.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 10-06-2010).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:
They are a superb street wheel IMHO. Lighter then stock but not so light they destroy ride quality.

The lighter the wheel, the better the ride quality should be.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
I dont know whop makes them but the wheels on my IMSA are a 3 peice type of wheel that has a magnesium core with 2 polished alumnium lips held together with what looks like a bunch of allen head screws. There so light weight its stupidI i took them off for the 1st time and i think the tuire wheighs more than the rim itself. If i can locate a manufature's lable on them i'll let you in on it there not the prettyist things on the road but a lot of guys on my local tuner forum likes them.

Thanks, but 15's are way too small for my 12" brakes. Even if they'd clear them (very unlikely), there wouldn't be nearly enough room for cooling when blasting around a track.

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:
Check out tirerack.com. Look up wheels for 2007 Pontiac Vibe. They use the same bolt pattern and good offsets. Just make sure to get the proper Fiero concentric rings. Tirerack also recently added the ability to sort by weight which should help.

ASA brand has a few options (AR1 17x8 = ~21lb, $148 each). There are several finishes/styles to choose from with 17x7+38mm, and 17x8 or 18x8+35mm offset. Also a few other brands. If your willing to go 16" you can save quite a bit more on weight and allow use of higher profile for better ride comfort.

I run ASA AR1's 16x7, 18lbs each (black w/machined lip look like your PS above). They are a superb street wheel IMHO. Lighter then stock but not so light they destroy ride quality.

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't seen yet that Tire Rack sorts by weight now. Sweet!

I've looked at all of the ASA wheels, the only ones I like are the JH9's and (less so) the JH8's, neither of which come in 17's (or less). :/ Before this thread I had actually photoshopped AR1's onto the pic above with 16's in front and 17's in rear, I really don't like them, and everyone has them, heh.

I am willing to go with 16's in the front because of the weight and ride quality, but if I need to upgrade the front brakes in the future from my Corvette 12" rotors to 13" rotors then I'll need 17's in the front for efficient brake cooling, hence my lack of mention of 16's in this thread. If everything else was 'perfect' though, I'd do it for the other benefits.

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:
The lighter the wheel, the better the ride quality should be.

+1

Here are two more to add the the discontinued list that I like. :/ It seems that simple 5-spokes went out of style again.

Advan TCII

Axis Reverb

These are actually the 'same' wheel in that the Axis' are knock-offs of the Advans, but the Axis' are still supposed to be very good quality and lightweight, just not quite as much as the Advans.
So if I can find a used two sets to make a combo of front TCII's in 17x7.5 (+48) and rear Reverbs in 18x9.5 (+35) then I can have the perfect combo for 285's on the rear and 235 or 245's on the front.
The Advans don't come in 18x9.5 on 5x100, and the Axis' don't come in +48 on 5x100, that's why I mention a combo of the two.
I'm not worried about color because I'll strip and polish or paint them silver.
I've found a few used sets that are close.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 10-17-2010).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

+1

Here are two more that I like to add the the discontinued list. :/ It seems that simple 5-spokes went out of style again.

Advan TCII

Axis Reverb

These are actually the 'same' wheel in that the Axis' are knock-offs of the Advans, but the Axis' are still supposed to be very good quality and lightweight, just not quite as much as the Advans.
So if I can find a used two sets to make a combo of front TCII's in 17x7.5 (+48) and rear Reverbs in 18x9.5 (+35) then I can have the perfect combo for 285's on the rear and 235 or 245's on the front.
The Advans don't come in 18x9.5 on 5x100, and the Axis' don't come in +48 on 5x100, that's why I mention a combo of the two.
I'm not worried about color because I'll strip and polish or paint them silver.
I've found a few used sets that are close.

Thoes gold ones look SEXY. I want them for my 87.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
PK, PLEASE stop quoting sets of pics that are posted already right above your comment about them. It does use extra bandwidth from whoever is hosting the pics, contrary to what I was previously told. A lot of these pics are hosted via PIP and we don't want the people who are paying the money to use more than they need to. The same goes for any other image hosting service as well.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 10-17-2010).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Rick,

I found these on Craigslist, but they're in CA. If you have the money for and if they're willing to ship, they'd be great for your '87...
http://losangeles.craigslis.../pts/2010994934.html

There's a set much closer to you, but they're black instead of gold. I asked that guy for the width and offset, and they're the same as the wheels above (7.5" and 42mm).
http://newjersey.craigslist.../pts/1963002783.html

Just thought I'd give a heads up.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock