Started on: 09-24-2010 03:59 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: jim94 on 09-30-2010 01:47 AM
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Lots more work to do, but it's coming along nicely

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nellieship

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nellieshipClick Here to visit nellieship's HomePageSend a Private Message to nellieshipDirect Link to This Post
can i ask where you got that model kit? looking for one as a gift and our local hobby shop doesn't have them and hasn't been able to locate one for me

------------------
Nellie - forever Tyler's mommy

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mDirect Link to This Post
nice work,
must a took a lot of time
tangerine orange i'd guess would be the colour?

jon
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nellieship:

can i ask where you got that model kit? looking for one as a gift and our local hobby shop doesn't have them and hasn't been able to locate one for me

The kit was made by MPC, (1987 Fiero GT, kit # 6401), but it is long out of production.
There are quite a few of them floating around though.
Put a request in the mall section and I'll bet you have one within a few days.

I had to modify this kit to make it hard top, like my car. I also have been doing quite a bit of modifications to the basic kit as I go along.
Not a bad kit for what it is, but it takes a good deal of attention to get it into a respectable replica.

------------------

mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Look at the interior, it's OBVIOUSLY supposed to be a custom Indy
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
The wheels look good, but how are you gonna put in the side scoops? x2 on the Tangerine Orange color scheme.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

The wheels look good, but how are you gonna put in the side scoops? x2 on the Tangerine Orange color scheme.

40 years of building museum quality scale models says I *might* be able to do the side scoops
The wheels are way too thick in the "spokes", but until I find a better set, or photoetch some better ones these will do for a "shelf model".

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-24-2010).]

Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post
Do I spy a custom chin spoiler? :O
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkyrie:

I think so !!

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkyrie:

Yep.
I did add a chin spoiler, but it needs a little more putty and sanding to smooth everything out to perfection.
The body side moldings and door handles were also added, (the kit had them recessed into the bodywork!).
I also rescribed most of the body panel lines to define them better, filled in and reshaped the roof to make it a hard top, adjusted the chassis wheelbase to get the wheels properly centered in the openings, added the fuel filler door and surround, raised the instrument pod to the proper heigth on the dash and reworked the steering column to a lower angle, replaced the headlight doors, (the kit ones were incorrectly shaped).

The basic kit interior is pretty good as-is, but I added detailed inner door handles. The dash is also too narrow and doesn't have the speaker grills in it, (yet ).

The body shape ia a little off.
The nose is too narrow and the roof is too high, but I'm not going to bother with fixing those problems, as this is just a "shelf model" and not a comissioned piece or a competition build. Just something to have some fun with.

The model is in white primer right now and, like I said, still needs a little work, but it's coming along well.
Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Yep.
I did add a chin spoiler, but it needs a little more putty and sanding to smooth everything out to perfection.
The body side moldings and door handles were also added, (the kit had them recessed into the bodywork!).
I also rescribed most of the body panel lines to define them better, filled in and reshaped the roof to make it a hard top, adjusted the chassis wheelbase to get the wheels properly centered in the openings, added the fuel filler door and surround, raised the instrument pod to the proper heigth on the dash and reworked the steering column to a lower angle, replaced the headlight doors, (the kit ones were incorrectly shaped).

The basic kit interior is pretty good as-is, but I added detailed inner door handles. The dash is also too narrow and doesn't have the speaker grills in it, (yet ).

The body shape ia a little off.
The nose is too narrow and the roof is too high, but I'm not going to bother with fixing those problems, as this is just a "shelf model" and not a comissioned piece or a competition build. Just something to have some fun with.

The model is in white primer right now and, like I said, still needs a little work, but it's coming along well.

Assuming your signature picture is current, does this mean there's a matching chin spoiler in the works for the Tangerine Dream? :O
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
So when can we expect this to move the the construction zone?
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

So when can we expect this to move the the construction zone?

I would say that if it follows the same timeline as my full size Fiero, then expect it to take about 4 years to move to the Construction Zone.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2010 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Sweet build! Are you going for a show quality appearance, or just a daily driver? I am assuming that it is an auto, because I would have a hard time believing that you are able to operate the clutch pedal. Will this be a panel off paint job like your full size one? Are there any difficulties with state inspections? Do you need to bring your own magnifying glass?

Cool project. Great for the mind...
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
I found some better looking, (more to scale), wheels in my collection so they have been swapped onto the car.
Got the rotors for my "big brakes" installed too. (Need to find some nice calipers now...)

Also did some reshaping and clean-up sanding on the nose and in a few other areas, and installed the outside mirrors.

I also added some dew wipes and drip-rail molding on both sides.

Going to be time to roll it into the paint booth soon.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-27-2010).]

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Lots more work to do, but it's coming along nicely

Good luck finding qtr windows to fit THAT!
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Good luck finding qtr windows to fit THAT!

Already have them.
AND they have the correct curve, both ways!
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
You, sir, are insane.

Good work.
fieroloco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolocoClick Here to visit fieroloco's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolocoDirect Link to This Post
i have one

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I am looking for wheels and flares for mine i did see them a few months ago on ebay but will keep looking where did you get your wheels from as they are similar to mine.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

I am looking for wheels and flares for mine i did see them a few months ago on ebay but will keep looking where did you get your wheels from as they are similar to mine.

The wheels I have are actually kind of a custom hybrid.
The spoked portion is from the Tamiya Porsche Boxter Special Edition kit, and the outer silver rims are from one of the Fujimi 1/24 custom wheel & tire sets.
The spoked portion of the first set of wheels I used were the Fujimi wheels. They were originally gold painted or plated, but I stripped them to bare plastic.

I haven't seen any flares for this kit, but I believe that one of the versions of the Revell or MPC kit did have some custom body parts in it.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-28-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 05:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroloco:

i have one

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Build it !!
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Already have them.
AND they have the correct curve, both ways!

Cool!

Now how about you make some for 1:1 Fiero's as well
fieroloco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolocoClick Here to visit fieroloco's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolocoDirect Link to This Post
i have the motor ready jojojo

Build it !!

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2010 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Direct Link to This Post
wow, looks good. model building is an addiction for some people. we all want to see this build. i have a friend that has this addiction, other than riding motorcycles.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock