painting the interior carpet by freedom0226
Started on: 09-19-2010 03:28 PM
Replies: 32
Last post by: katatak on 10-31-2010 09:24 PM
freedom0226

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Direct Link to This Post
hey i want to paint my interior all black.. i know for the plastic trim pieces i can get that rustoleum paint cans from home depot but will that work on the center console ?

and what kind of spray paint should i use on the carpet...going from grey to black.. would regular spray can black be suffice ????
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
To be honest the spray will were off over time and it can be a mess. The best thing to do is to get black carpet and it will look much better and last.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1997 Supercharged GTP 2005 Cobalt with a twist

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

To be honest the spray will were off over time and it can be a mess. The best thing to do is to get black carpet and it will look much better and last.

ok but the car never came in black interior correct me if wrong .. unless you mean making your own.. i have my project car to test this on first of course.. i just seen a video on dupli- fabric and vinyl spray it looks like magic but ????
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2010 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
The carpet will harden, don't do it. Buy new carpet and recover.
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
They make upholstery "paint". It's very very thin, so as not to make the fabric/carpet all hard and clumpy like normal paint would. And even if it does fade, just grab another can and give it a refresh every year or two. I'd be worried about it wearing off on to my clothes!
As to the console and such, they make paint for vinyl too, and like the stuff for carpets/upholstery, it's thinner than normal paint. Thinner means more coats to get it fully covered, but it also means it'll stick and not peel off after...unless you forget to de-grease the console first, of course!
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
The dupli-color stuff works great. I have even heard you can use it on seats too but, I'd be a little leary of that. I know for a faxt it works well on the vinyl stuff and so far it has worked well on the carpets in mine. Check out my thread it shows what this stuff looks like.

------------------

Getting closer every day!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/080998.html

Donnie

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2010 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

They make upholstery "paint". It's very very thin, so as not to make the fabric/carpet all hard and clumpy like normal paint would.

You're speaking from experience or from a accademic/theoretical standpoint? Use SEM vinyl dye on the door panels and dash, but don't spray the carpet, it will never come out the way you want it.

[This message has been edited by L67 (edited 09-19-2010).]

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
You can buy new molded carpet in black here... http://www.automotiveinteri...cc/84_88fieroacc.htm

------------------

Click here for all your Fiberglass part needs

donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
The dash is doable too. The key is cleaning and prep work.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2010 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Or make your own:

$40 worth of black carpet, cut to size:

And then trimmed and installed:

2005:

Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

Or make your own:

$40 worth of black carpet, cut to size:

Very nice. Any photos of the foot/pedal areas?
PFF
System Bot
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2010 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
No don't have any and I left the car at the shop. I spent about an hour making sure the carpet was perfectly trimmed in the front, it fits very snugly around both the pedals and the foot rest. Fasteners assure it doesn't go anywhere. The best part about it is the new carpet smell on a sunny day. That and I hate loop carpet.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

You're speaking from experience or from a accademic/theoretical standpoint? Use SEM vinyl dye on the door panels and dash, but don't spray the carpet, it will never come out the way you want it.

I've only had one expeireince with it...and it worked well for brightening up the stock color, though where I accidentally used too much, it did "clump" a bit...it just felt rough to the touch in those spots.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2010 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Black is a very very hard color to dye, not like touching up tan or grey.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Black carpet is also IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean. I was going to do mine in black, and use rattle can paint on the old carpet to see what it would look like. I got in the car one single time, and the floor was a dirty mess! I then switched to a nice dark gray color instead, and I am in the process of putting the new carpet in now.
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
We did ours with RIT dye. I took the carpet out and cleaned it real good and mixed up the dye in pump-up lawn sprayers. I just kept coating them for a couple of days to get it good and dark. I was very happy with the results.

------------------
8th Annual California Coast Run

freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Direct Link to This Post
thanks for the info.. i checked those links but ummm 160+shipping for a new carpet ouch.. id rather try the dupli fabric and vinyl for now.. so far i did it on the doors and it took the black color very fast and clean..ill post up pics...

now i might get reamed for this question but what about trying to paint the grey plastic pieces tan.. i always wanted the tan interior... just the top part of the doors and the a and b pillars..???????????????????
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Use SEM paint for vinyl on panels and dash. You could prob also use the Krylon FOR PLASTIC too. Paint dont work well on carpet, especially nylon where it just rubs off.

Just buy some carpet at a carpet store ($50 ?). Fiero has to be one of the easiest carpet jobs there is in a car. Just take out the old ones and lay them on top for a pattern. It dont even need glued in. I can do both sides of a Fiero in less than an hour with the seats out.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Use SEM paint for vinyl on panels and dash. You could prob also use the Krylon FOR PLASTIC too. Paint dont work well on carpet, especially nylon where it just rubs off.

Just buy some carpet at a carpet store ($50 ?). Fiero has to be one of the easiest carpet jobs there is in a car. Just take out the old ones and lay them on top for a pattern. It dont even need glued in. I can do both sides of a Fiero in less than an hour with the seats out.

I agree with the SEM paint.....best on the market.

Also definately do the carpet on your own without paint. If you absolutely HAVE to color the carpet, do what Dale did in his post. Use RIT clothing dye and do it right. The dye is a couple of bucks....just don't get it on your clothes
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by freedom0226:

now i might get reamed for this question but what about trying to paint the grey plastic pieces tan.. i always wanted the tan interior... just the top part of the doors and the a and b pillars..???????????????????

We used off the shelf interior paint to make the tan interior. I don't remember the brand. We did this as a last resort because the dash was supposed to be padded and stitched with material that matched the seat covers, as were the pillar panels. The guy had the stuff for about a month and a half and flaked out and I picked the stuff up the day before a show unfinished and had to make a decision about what to do. Paint was the only choice on short notice. The gray interior just wasn't going to work with my cool new tan seats! haha... We just took our time and taped everything off good and paint the two tone tan/black and were pretty happy with the results.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The Fiero store sells carpet in HUNDREDS of colors. Well it's actually ACC carpet that's drop shipped, but still you can get black carpet molded to the Fiero. Why would you bother to dye it? I have black carpet in two cars and I like the way it looks.

PFF
System Bot
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
For me it was because I was in a hurry. Plus it worked great and cost me less than $10.
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Direct Link to This Post
I did the carpets in my 85 GT with Duplicolor black for vinyl and fabric. It worked well. I sprayed a coat to cover and let it dry, then did a final coat. I just went out to take a look at it, before writing this, and it looks fine. I did the trunk carpet as well. I agree that it may not feel as good as new carpet, but the price is right and the look is great.
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersDirect Link to This Post
Brush it now with a brush with a bunch of bristles. It will soften

it up considerably. I have used the paint before and plan on using it again

so I can keep my foot pads. Brush it it will help. G/L Ray
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

For me it was because I was in a hurry. Plus it worked great and cost me less than $10.

I hear you, I'm all for saving money, but I painted that carpet thing on the firewall and now it's crunchy and fading. So I obviously didn't do it right.

freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Direct Link to This Post
these are my results.i am very pleased with the way it all came out.. thanks to songman for some input..

i used dupli color fabric and vinyl paint... sand and black.....looks better in person and also re did the headliner it was very easy...

joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i work at a detail shop. we have black carpet dye. we only use it if the spots on the carpet have lost color or faded in areas. normly where the feet are.
works great. i just dyed my whole driver side carpet. just to try it out. it doesnt clump up. and it looks amazing. but it does come off if you carpet cleaned the carpets. and it does come off.
its really cheap to do. i used a full can on the driver side carpet.
but if i were to do it again. i would just get black carpet. it does look better then dyed carpet. and it wont have a dry crunchy feel to it.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by freedom0226:

these are my results.i am very pleased with the way it all came out.. thanks to songman for some input..

i used dupli color fabric and vinyl paint... sand and black.....looks better in person and also re did the headliner it was very easy...

Looks great to me -- Good job! And the thing about this is whether or not you are happy with it, since it's your car and all, and really only your opinion of it matters. I, for one, am glad you're happy with your results. I may follow suite soon!
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
It looks better then the faded stock color, but i can still tell it was painted. Like jscott1 said I'm all for saving a buck but sometimes you have to embrace the suck and spend the cash on new parts. I just ripped out and re did my entire interior, carpet seats, headliner and plastic trim pieces.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 09-27-2010).]

Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
If you are determined to dye the carpet, use commercial carpet dye that is use to re-color commercial and residential carpets. it doesn't come in spray cans but it is much more perminant.
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I have never heard of dye in spray cans. Do they really make such a thing? Seems to me that would be spray paint. And like Jscott said, if you paint carpet it is crunchy. The dye we used comes in bottles and is concentrated so you mix it with water. You can apply it all sorts of ways. We could have just mixed up a big bucket and submerged the carpet in it but we put it in pump up lawn sprayers and sprayed continual coats over a two day period.

I think the OPs interior looks great. It gave him the results he wanted and he might have saved a few bucks along the way. Sounds like a Win/Win to me.
PFF
System Bot
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Great looking work! Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know where to get interior carpet (like the black posted) in other colors?
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Here's my 2 cents worth.

I painted the carpet in my 86 V8 Coupe with this:

I also tried this:

The Dupli Color did not dry leaving the carpet feel stiff. One trick is to get yourself a brush like the one pictured and as soon as the carpet is dry to the touch, brush it figurously - may take 2 coats to cover.

Went from this:

To this:

Edit to add. This is aftermarket carpet - it was originally grey - the PO dyed it Blue. Before I used the Dupli Color, I shampooed the carpet several times - I got a lot of the Blue dye to come out of the carpet so I'm glad I did the extra work to clean it really well before I painted it.

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 10-31-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock