OK my next problem is the inner cylinder walls are pretty nasty and even a spot or two of rust…somehow water must have gotten in. Hopefully you don’t have this issue but if you do you can use a brake cylinder-honing tool to clean it up. Or you can even use a makeshift honer by wrapping some sandpaper on a screwdriver handle, stick it into a drill and use that. You want to make sure it’s very clean and smooth inside so as to not ruin the new piston seals. I couldn’t get a good picture of the inside but trust me, it was bad.
OK, so after I took care of the inside and some time in the parts cleaner, this seemed like the perfect time to play with my powder coater. So a little grinding of the corners, rough spots more cleaning and wall-la!
OK so now that it’s cleaned up and ready to go, time for reassembly. First the new spring on the backside of the piston, then you’ll want to pre-lube the seals so they’ll slide in a little easier and create a good seal. I found the piston to be a nice snug fit. I’m sure there will be no leaks here!
Now you can have a helper push in on the piston if needed while you put the new snap ring on
Now a quick cleaning of the shaft, a touch of paint on the exposed end and it’s ready to slide into the new boot from the kit
Now that’s done all that’s left to do it slide the boot onto the end being careful not to rip it or anything and you’re all done, piece of cake!
If it wasn’t for the frozen bleeder screw or the rust I’d say I could have easily done this in less than an hour. If it’s a POS like mine was and you want to paint or PC it, figure a couple hours but even with the issues I ran into, it was still a very simple job to do.
One thing I would recommend is changing the bleeder screw. Rodney has them for a couple bucks and while you’ve got it off, you might as well. Much easier now, then later when it’s back on the car especially if it’s frozen & rusty like mine was.
I think Rodney is still in the R&D stage with this rebuild kit but when it’s available I highly recommend it. It was about as simple a job as it gets, should prove to be superior to the OEM setup and for $16.95 it’ll be well worth it.
[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 09-01-2010).]