Long trip in my Fiero--questions by starlightcoupe
Started on: 08-29-2010 10:10 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: lurtz on 08-31-2010 09:52 AM
starlightcoupe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
Around the middle of September, I'll drive my Fiero through Texas to Mississippi (southeast of Vicksburg) and then back through Texas to Colorado. My 3800SC/4t65e HD combo runs extremely well thanks to Mike Gonzalez's conversion and I have new tires, brakes, rims, shocks, braided brake hoses, battery,etc, etc. I have driven the car all around Colorado Springs, to Denver and Pueblo at freeway speeds and it drives very well. My mechanical skills are pretty good and I will bring an assortment of tools and electrical parts and my multimeter.

At this stage, my only concern is a jack in case I get a flat. I have Triple-A and can get someone out to fix it but I ain't dead yet but I need a jack that will fit into the Fiero and lift the car. I can't find one small enough to go under the car with a flat and fit inside the trunk. I have a good spare. Any suggestions? What else should I bring--carwise? I'd appreciate any suggestions.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
Advanced sells a small red 2 ton jack for maybe $80 that fits in front or back. That's what I carry with me in my Fiero.
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
I bought the small jack that harbor freight sells. It works good, and fits in the trunk.
When I make long distance trips, I carry all the usual tools, a full size spare, jack, 4 way lug wrench, coolant, blanket, oil, extra belt(s), prybar, flares, and a cell phone!

------------------
88 GT "The Stray" 4.9L
86 SE ChopTop 4 Speed 3.4 "The Short Bus" SOLD!
07 Solstice GXP 2.0L turbo
08 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Dually.
05 Tahoe on 20's (Kid hauler)

Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
And you're familiar with the laws of breakdown likelihood.....right? The probability of a breakdown is inversely proportionate to your level of preparedness.

Sounds like your swap was done right and you maintain your car....you should be fine. The small $20 Harbor Freight floor jack is what I bring on long trips. I brought half my toolbox when Katatak and I drove the Fieros to San Antonio in May. 1500 + miles and neither car missed a beat, of course. Had I left without them.......

[This message has been edited by Frizlefrak (edited 08-29-2010).]

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I pretty much thought of most of that but the blanket is a good idea because we have been caught in the mountains by a freak snow storm in late September. The coolant and oil is a good idea too. Looking at the available room, it is a good thing I travel light!

Is the Harbor Freight/Advanced jack a scizzors jack? Looking under the my cradle, there is barely enough room for a 4x4!

I like the inverse proportionality rule!
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
If you come anywhere near the El Paso area and need a break or need some help, do not hesitate to call. We are always ready willing and able to help support fellow Fiero fanatics here in Far West Texas. I have had a few flats on a few Fiero's and the stock jack works OK for flat changes. Otherwise, the small 2 ton floor jack like others have mentioned works good for many things. A short 2X4 or 2 can make a big difference too - especially if your car sits low. Be prepared - and have a safe trip.

Pat
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
I second the 2x4 or 2x6 idea. plus you can cut them to fit anywhere in the car.
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post

DIY_Stu

2337 posts
Member since Jun 2007
Or spend about $200 for a low profile screw jack.

http://www.calcarcover.com/...t.aspx?id=231&cid=31

Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserDirect Link to This Post
Something like this? Although since I work for AAA my Premier membership with it's 200 Mile tow is a must for the my Fiero tool box.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exhau...&hash=item335e58d5a2

------------------
Notchbacks RULE

"Let a man drive a Fiero and he'll own one.
Teach a man to fix a Fiero and he'll own eight....errr...nine."

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the 2x4 idea and the other ideas. Kat, I appreciate your offer should I get into problems in El Paso. I read Mstangsbeware's saga and you guy were and are great. I offer the same to you or any other Fiero folks. We live less than seven miles from IH25, north of Colorado Springs and I have a strong running Chevy 4x4 plus a place to work on cars.

The exhaust lift thingy harks back to the '70s or '80s. I bought one for my wife and the only time I used it was to try it out. It lifted her '71 Duster with little effort. The neighborhood kids thought it was cool. I have the 100 mile tow version of AAA but unless the car doesn't run and I can't fix it, (despite my age--72) I feel like I should repair it myself.

I remembered the scissors jack in my old Buick so I will bring that. My Notchie popped a code yesterday so I'll have to fix that before leaving but otherwise I think all is well in Fieroland.
lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzDirect Link to This Post
When was younger an my only car was a fiero I always kept a small MVP jack from advanced auto or something like that. it was not very expensive. Something like 50 bucks I think it came with a small duffle bag to carry the jack so I threw some misc tools in there and it stored just fine up front next to/ onto of my spare. But as the story goes I never used it. Only because I had it

------------------
1984 Base Coupe Red Stock MY8
1984 SE Black Stock

2002 Grand Prix GTP 40th Anniv. Stock

[This message has been edited by lurtz (edited 09-01-2010).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors