Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Poll: Would you use AllData if it were available on a remote PC?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Poll: Would you use AllData if it were available on a remote PC? by Synthesis
Started on: 08-17-2010 11:46 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: dobey on 08-20-2010 07:51 AM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Debating setting up my AllData on a system, and allowing remote connections into it for the forum.

Trying to think of ways of securing it to prevent unauthorized access outside the forum, but without me having to monitor it for abuse.

If I set up a system, would you remote into it and use it?

Printing would be unavailable, browsing would be unavailable. You would simply have AllData and nothing else. You could always screenshot it on your end.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rallaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
I would use the H3!! out of it. It almost seems like I've been needing the use of AllData almost everytime I find myself working on a car anymore.
Gandalf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GandalfSend a Private Message to GandalfDirect Link to This Post
I would defo use it!
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Click Here to Email josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Synthesis this would be a great asset to have here on PFF. And thanks for the offer.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2010 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
You want to be careful with that, especially if it's the unlimited shop AllData subscription. It would be a violation of the license agreement, and your subscription could be cancelled, you could be blacklisted from ever getting one again, and you could be fined/sued for a lot of money by them, for additional license fees for each connection made through your system.

And making a post on a public forum asking if people would use it, is pretty much clear and admissable evidence as to your intent to violate said license.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 341
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianClick Here to Email PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
You want to be careful with that, especially if it's the unlimited shop AllData subscription. It would be a violation of the license agreement, and your subscription could be cancelled, you could be blacklisted from ever getting one again, and you could be fined/sued for a lot of money by them, for additional license fees for each connection made through your system.

And making a post on a public forum asking if people would use it, is pretty much clear and admissable evidence as to your intent to violate said license.

damnit
unfortunately true

so - everybody say - NO - and then do this a bit more quietely

yes - I work on alot of other cars and could use a resource such as that. right now - I use the auzone online manuals, but they are spotty - have many ommisions - and poorly organized
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
FWIW, if you live near a community college or junior college that has an automotive program, they usually have both complete AllData and Mitchell available (legally) on several computers in the library and/or a public study area. It's worth a short drive to have access to good quality service information.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2010 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:
FWIW, if you live near a community college or junior college that has an automotive program, they usually have both complete AllData and Mitchell available (legally) on several computers in the library and/or a public study area. It's worth a short drive to have access to good quality service information.

Yep. There's another company too, whom I can't recall at the moment. They all have special accounts for Libraries. A lot of public libraries will have some too. The nice thing is that often, with the Library set up, there is a web site you can just go to from your home or wherever. You just put in your library card #, and you've got access to all the info.
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNClick Here to Email PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

SOOOOOOO TRUE !!!! and Alldata is one of the companies ( like others i could mention ) that absolutely WILL and CAN go after you will all their money & attorney's to sink your battleship !!!!

Alldata is one of those companies HUGE into no tolerance !!!!

------------------

MINNESOTA MAFIA Real men get blown If you're going to run your mouth make sure the proof isn't all over the net that you're full of sh!t.
87 GT MP-112 powered, 3800 Supercharged on 19's 372 rwhp & tuning____88 GT T-top 1 of very few, 000,204.1 miles
87 GT custom______90 Grand prix STE Turbo_____2007GSXR 1000
Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD, Ya want to hit it, but are afraid of the consequences.
IF YOU AIN'T BREAKING STUFF..................IT AIN'T MODDED ENOUGH
If your'e not living on the edge..........you're taking up too much room.
Best Fiero mounts available

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2010 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:
SOOOOOOO TRUE !!!! and Alldata is one of the companies ( like others i could mention ) that absolutely WILL and CAN go after you will all their money & attorney's to sink your battleship !!!!

Alldata is one of those companies HUGE into no tolerance !!!!

And they're like the IRS. They'll let you get away with it for a couple years, to let the charges add up. 200 people * $20/yr + $30 initial, for 3 years, will be quite a hefty bill.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 279
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
In the meantime, Manuals can be downloaded here: http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageClick Here to Email AustralianSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
IP masking give everyone same number..
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2010 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:
IP masking give everyone same number..

All the connections will be coming from the same host anyway, if it's a remote instance of IE/Firefox/Whatever. But lots of simultaneous connections coming from the same place is going to look off.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock