Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Yeeeaaayyy! Back from the dust bowl AND got my Fiero back! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Yeeeaaayyy! Back from the dust bowl AND got my Fiero back! by CommanderKeen
Started on: 08-10-2010 12:35 AM
Replies: 44
Last post by: topcat on 11-03-2010 04:46 PM
CommanderKeen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenDirect Link to This Post
So! Been in Afghanistan for the last year. I thank God every day for coming home and I thank my fallen brothers every day for their sacrifices.

So about halfway through the deployment my place got knocked over. Everything of value stolen from my house, and my Fiero MIA.

Got a certified note few days back saying it had been found, abandoned and with stolen plates, about 100 miles north of Ft Lewis. Impound fees at 4k o.O

Talked to the manager today, he said he wasn't going to hammer me as I had just returned from overseas. Said if I didn't want the vehicle anymore they would just auction it and he would write off any leftover fees. He said if I did want it, they would knock all the storage fees off of it and only charge me the base impound fee to get it back.

So! I'm renting a U-haul truck and car tower and I'm heading up there tomorrow to pick it up. He said the vehicle is undamaged, and that he will have his locksmith cut me a car key.

Its my first fastback GT Fiero, fourth Fiero total. I wanted to send it to Archie for a welcome home transplant, and I was pretty broken hearted when I got back and is wasn't here. Almost more so than all my **** being missing.

BUT! I'm going to pick it up, and I'm real excited. I allegedly get 24 months before next rotation (which most likely translates into 1 year) so I look forward to doing widebody work after the transplant.

Its good to be back, both in America and on Pennocks.

-Sam
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear you made it back! Wish it could have been a bit happier home coming, but at least they left the Fiero intact. Sucks is happened to you, one of the reasons I left Milwaukee, my stuff kept getting stolen. Wish people could just leave stuff alone. Anyways, welcome back and thanks for your service!
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Welcome back, I'm glad you had a safe tour. I hope the impound lot doesn't screw you over with fees. I guess I find it strange that a stolen car would get hit for storage fees once it was recovered but just sat there in the lot without trying to locate the owner.

At least if the impound lot would auction the car off, a Fiero shouldn't draw much of a bid. He'd take a loss no matter what.

[This message has been edited by Old Lar (edited 08-10-2010).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Welcome back! Thank you for your service!
GMplastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GMplasticSend a Private Message to GMplasticDirect Link to This Post
Welcome Home!
Thanks for serving. . . and I really hope you don't have to go back there!
Sorry to hear about your stuff being stolen, hope you get that returned...
There is just something so charismatic about a Fiero that losing one can be tough,
so it's really good to hear that you got that back!

------------------
Gold '87 GT, Black '87 GT, Black '88 Mera, 64 Stingray coupe, '01 Corvette coupe, '03 Corvette coupe & caretaker of son's Yellow '87 GT, & Other son's Red '86 GT,
General tinkerer and doer of mechanical deeds

tonycampbell86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tonycampbell86gtClick Here to visit tonycampbell86gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to tonycampbell86gtDirect Link to This Post
Welcome home, and thank you for your service! It's because of heros like you that the rest of us get to sit around and tinker on old cars!

Tony
tiretread

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tiretreadSend a Private Message to tiretreadDirect Link to This Post
Glad you are home and enroute to getting your car back!
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
My family thanks you from the bottom of our hearts for serving our country. My kids have a chance of growing up in a free country because of your commitment, and that means a great deal to me.

Thanks again, glad your car is safe, and we'd better see a build thread..

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Hey CommanderKeen, I'm in Fort Lauderdale, so I can't really help you. But... if you think you might be worried about your car getting stolen again, maybe someone on Pennock's near you would be willing to store the car for you? I know that if you lived down here, I'd be MORE THAN HAPPY to hold the car for you. It's the LEAST I can do.

If there's anyone here that would mind giving up a spot on their driveway or somewhere on their property to let him leave his car there when he gets re-deployed... please speak up...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Kilofox13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kilofox13Send a Private Message to Kilofox13Direct Link to This Post
Welcome back to the states! I know what ya mean about being glad to be back. Man, what a terrible homecoming. I've been blessed that everytime I've returned from a deployment, everything has been just as I left it. I hope you don't have to deal with any more rough homecomings. Good luck on the build, and post some pics of progress!
Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
yeah up north here we are all alot more, how do i say, apt to shoot someone that tries to break into our homes and alot of thugs from Milwaukee have tried and gotten sprayed with lead.

welcome back to the states and congrats on getting your Fiero back unmolested. however CHECK EVERYTHING before you get pulled over lol. Chances are they had something on them and it might have fallen under the seat or into the seat and only a dog will find that certain something!

Yes its happend before, just not to me lol
PFF
System Bot
CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenDirect Link to This Post
First thanks for all the support, here in Washington State its sometimes easy to forget that people care.

Updates - Damnit. This thing is beat to pieces. Plus side is I talked them down to 400 bucks! Down sides include, original honeycomb wheels are gone, replaced with three dirty beater "gangster" wheels and the spare. Three 18 inch wheels and a donut. The wheels dont really fit with the tires the were most likely stolen along with, and the front two have seized completely, dont know why yet. Body scrapes, burns, and cracks all around head to toe. The interior (which looked like damn new when I bought it) is torn, soiled and grungy. The plates were stolen off of someone ELSES fiero apparently. Oh and the gt windows and tail lights covers are all broken or missing.

This makes me very sad, I bought this from a Korean War veteran, he bought it new in 86 and used it as a sunday driver for he and his wife. The car had WAY low miles, and the interior looked immaculate. Its a sad thing that has happened to this car.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CommanderKeen:I look forward to doing widebody work after the transplant.

Its good to be back, both in America and on Pennocks.

-Sam

Hey, I heard that-my ears just perked up.

WELCOME BACK.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about your car. Cars can be fixed. You cannot. I'm really glad you made it back in one piece and I want you to know that there are people that are very THANKFUL you are serving our country. It means a lot. I know my little girls are safe because of people like you and your brothers.

THANK YOU!

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

Archie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
CommanderKeen, The car got here today.

We'll go over it tomorrow.

Archie
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
From one soldier to another, welcome back, CommanderKeen. I am saddened to hear about your Fiero being stolen while you were gone, it makes me sick to my stomach that yours was stolen while you were protecting those a$$holes' freedoms. They deserve to be beaten by their own detached appendages. Hopefully you can breathe life back into your old girl, and make her even better than what once was.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Just curious - did you have written somewhere how many miles were on it when you left? Wondering how many have been "used".
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tonycampbell86gt:

Welcome home, and thank you for your service! It's because of heros like you that the rest of us get to sit around and tinker on old cars!

Tony

I second that! Thank you! God Bless you.
CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Just curious - did you have written somewhere how many miles were on it when you left? Wondering how many have been "used".

Almost 40k more than when I had parked it.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
CommanderKeen:

Send me your email address so we can get started on this & I can fill you in on everything we found.

I know why they finally quit driving it. We wanted to see if we could get it running so we could try to deterndetermine the condition of the transmission. When we started messing with it we found it was low on water. Soputting water in it resulted in water dumping out of the engine onto the floor. Waterwas coming out where the heads meet the block.

The odo says it's got 88K miles on it, is that correct?

Archie
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
CommanderKeen, if you're on the west side of the cascades, then you're on the wrong side of the mountains for soldier appreciation. If you ever make it over to the Spokane area, let us know and we'll throw you one hell of a "welcome home soldier" BBQ. We take care of our own around these parts..

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

PFF
System Bot
Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
Man that just plain sucks! Glad to hear your here to tell the story though....

Good luck with your new start..

[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 08-19-2010).]

CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

CommanderKeen:

Send me your email address so we can get started on this & I can fill you in on everything we found.

I know why they finally quit driving it. We wanted to see if we could get it running so we could try to deterndetermine the condition of the transmission. When we started messing with it we found it was low on water. Soputting water in it resulted in water dumping out of the engine onto the floor. Waterwas coming out where the heads meet the block.

The odo says it's got 88K miles on it, is that correct?

Archie

Hey sent you an email on friday titled 86 GT. You may have to check your spam thing, some sites dont like Army email address'. Ill call tomorrow.

I suppose 88k is correct, although when I purchased it it was at 45K, I dont even know if that much driving is friggen possible in 11 months. I dont think it was over 51k when I lost it.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Sam, Welcome home !!! and Thanks !
CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

CommanderKeen, if you're on the west side of the cascades, then you're on the wrong side of the mountains for soldier appreciation. If you ever make it over to the Spokane area, let us know and we'll throw you one hell of a "welcome home soldier" BBQ. We take care of our own around these parts..

Thanks alot, I'll be staying out here for another couple years so I'll be trying to meet as many NW Fiero people as possible.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Welcome home....and thank you.
CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE!!!!

I'm tired, stuck on Staff Duty at my new unit, and excited just silly about this so update time.

Mr Archie has been working on my car, and the pics he's sent me thus far are awesome. A V-8 Archie Fiero has been my dream car since I saw MadCurls silver Choptop and bought my first fiero (an 87 notchie coupe) from a good friend and forum member my sophomore year of high school.

Mr Norm from Norms Fiberglass will be installing a front end once Mr Archie is done working his magic.

I am thrilled, I should have my car back within two or three weeks!

I'm not going to paint it until the interior is re-done, my uncle (who restores GTO's) always told me that car restoration should always go, motor, body, interior, paint. He says if you paint it before something else gets done its too easy to put off finishing it because the casual observer wont notice it.

I will be embarking upon my first fiberglass experience, and building a dash board that I've been sketching since I was a junior in HighSchool taking design classes. I will of course make a build thread, but I just wanted to share my excitement right now.
wooo!

-ck
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Keen,

What are you having Archie do ? Engine, chop, widebody ??

Congrats.
CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenDirect Link to This Post
I dont know how to post pics, damn.

Archie is doing a motor swap, rockers, a hatchback, and repairing some of the ridiculous damage the guy who had my car did to the suspension with weird home made parts. I don't even know enough about cars to explain what was messed up, maybe Archie could explain it better. Anyways, I'll figure the picture thing out and get some up!
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
CK, welcome home! I wil be back in a few weeks as well.
Bigjake34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bigjake34Send a Private Message to Bigjake34Direct Link to This Post
Welcome back...I'm still here in wonderful Afghanistan. I'll be home soon. Good to hear you got your Fiero back as well. Be safe and enjoy the time in the States.

Jake
PFF
System Bot
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
Welcome home... Thank you.

------------------
Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
(r.i.p.)
" SmoothGT-'w8c' ".....
rough est. date 04/02/2011.....

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
We have a build thread here https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/112299.html

Archie
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Direct Link to This Post
thankyou for your service, sorry about your car. enjoy your car when it is all fixed up, i am sure it will be nice. people need to leave outher peoples stuff alone. you are a great american for serving.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for your service!

To post a pic use the red/blue block at the bottom middle of this page.
tiretread

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tiretreadSend a Private Message to tiretreadDirect Link to This Post
Welcome Home! Sorry to hear that your car was stolen while you were away. I'm glad that it motivated you to build your dream Fiero. I'm home in 49 days and my next rotation in AFG will have me rebuilding my Fiero.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
I saw your car up at Archies's a few weeks ago. Man are you going to have some fun with that ride

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 10-24-2010).]

thumper_64735

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thumper_64735Send a Private Message to thumper_64735Direct Link to This Post
Form one service member to another.. WELCOME HOME MAN! Glad you made it home in good health and you got your car back. I am hoping that I can get at least one of my projects done before I head for the sandbox next spring. Where abouts were ya over there. Ya can PM me if ya want. Take care, and again, welcome home.
CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the support, and to those of you still over there stay safe and keep your kit clean
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
Welcome home Keen, and thanks!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock