Dash speaker template...coax speakers too tall, grille won't fit by CaravanBill
Started on: 08-03-2010 04:45 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Scottzilla79 on 08-04-2010 03:06 PM
CaravanBill

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2010 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaravanBillSend a Private Message to CaravanBillDirect Link to This Post
Hey all,

Last weekend I bought a new pair of Alpine 5 1/4" coaxial speakers for my dash. Using the ever-popular dash bezel template I got from here on PFF, I went ahead and built a custom mounting plate. After painstakingly getting it built and installed (passenger side only right now), I am finding that the stock Fiero grille will not fit back on! The problem is the tweeter is too tall and hits the plastic frame of the grille cover.

I am wondering whether anyone else had this problem and what can be done. Is there enough room to mount the speaker beneath the template? This also serves as a warning to others who might run into this problem.

Lastly, has anyone created a baffle or enclosure behind the dash speakers? I am finding that the bass response is pretty terrible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scottzilla79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2010 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I'm having this problem too. At first I cut the framing off the frames with a cutoff wheel on my dremel but I cut into the fabric a bit. Are you using the flush mounts or the aimable mounts? I tried using the aimable ones first but they were too tall and went with the triangle ones like in the pic in the thread where you got the template.
I got some 1/4" abs plastic sheets for the bezel and I have enough where I'm going to try to build my own frames for the grill as my problem is the woofer touching the frame of the grill. Ordered the mesh material from Rodney Dickman. I didnt measure the stock frames but I'm pretty sure they are thicker than 1/4".

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2010 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwClick Here to Email KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
How thick is the material you used to make the adapter plate?
CaravanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaravanBillSend a Private Message to CaravanBillDirect Link to This Post
The material is about 3/16ths. It is 3 ply plywood. I looked at the fiberboard but thought it would sag over time. I also shaved down one corner as instructed on the template.
CaravanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2010 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaravanBillSend a Private Message to CaravanBillDirect Link to This Post
And Scottzilla, I thought about going down that road too but I am going to try to not mess with the stock grille if I can help it! I don't want to dig a bigger hole for myself...
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageClick Here to Email AustralianSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I mounted my tweeters on roof with a piece of 20mm wide sheet metal and sits against the roof lining held in by the windscreen trim and the rears are same held in by sheet metal against rear quarter trim. I am going to mount it to the roof lining itself after i recover it.
Scottzilla79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Bill check if someone on here has some grills in a parts car and give it a try. I nicked the material on the first one but the second one I was able to cut clean, even with the taller mount the tweeter touched the mesh but not the plastic.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock