Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  So I may have to change my answer for the survey on the main page...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

So I may have to change my answer for the survey on the main page... by 1988holleyformula
Started on: 07-30-2010 07:03 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: 1988holleyformula on 09-02-2010 04:12 PM
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
Black 1986 2M6 SE
1 Owner, 62,000 miles

So it only took just over a year, but I think I might have found another Fiero to add to the stable. I'm just looking for a little input from some midwest Fiero owners. (well anyone else counts too, but your prices are so much lower on the coasts and in the south that you probably wouldn't go for it.)

First the few negatives that I could find:
Slight rip in driver's seat, minor scuffs on rear fascia, weaker trunk springs (but still hold it straight up), speedometer doesn't work (owner dropped the gauge pod a few years ago and the speedo hasn't worked, but every other gauge reads true)

and I think that's it

The Good: It has been owned by the same guy since 1986, and he's in his 70's now and getting rid of some toys. The front fascia and passenger door have been re-painted. The rest of the ORIGINAL paint looks to be an 8 or 9 out of 10. The SE wheels are in good shape. I don't think there has ever been a passenger in this car it looks so new on that side. He had a new fuel pump, brakes, new battery, and catalytic converter put in 2 years ago. The engine bay is near spotless. He told me that it has only seen one winter, and a short one at that because he didn't like the way it handled the Minnesota snow (who knew? ). The rest of its life it has been garaged.

ANNNNNNND my favorite thing about this Fiero is the trunk corners! The only rust I could see was about a half-dollar sized area of surface rust on the driver's side.

So the asking price is $4000 and I might be able to work him down to $3800 or so, but what are your guy's opinions?? Any ideas on how to fix a speedometer?

and I know, I'm sorry, I didn't get any pics but hopefully I can go back this weekend and get a few good ones!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
Impatient bump, sorry.
Thought I would try to add a pic of what it looks like...

I found this picture, I'm pretty sure it is/was a member's on here. If you want me to take it down just let me know.

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 07-30-2010).]

doug.s

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doug.sClick Here to visit doug.s's HomePageSend a Private Message to doug.sDirect Link to This Post
The price seems a bit high IMO. I bought a 86 GT loaded with 57k no rust what so ever out of Cali for 3k and that was 6 years ago. I don't think I would go over 3k my self, but bottom line, you have to decide if it's worth it to you. Good Luck!

Doug
SNAPPY829

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SNAPPY829Send a Private Message to SNAPPY829Direct Link to This Post
That acually sounds like a good price given its condition and low mileage, no winters etc, easy fixes and you will have a really nice car.

------------------
If I only had ONE more part it will be finished...... famous last words.....

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
Still haven't decided on this car yet, I think I am gonna wait awhile and offer him $3000 for it. I test drove it and found a few more things I would have to fix. The cruise control doesn't work, because the speedo doesn't work I would imagine. One burnt out headlight, plus the Brights indicator light in the dash is burnt out too. But the worst thing I found that I didn't see when it was in his garage was this dent!

But the interior is where its at, just spotless!

Not a bad car, overall.
BlackGT Codde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
nice find... nice to see the stock radio still in there
i think you will be happy with those tires too as long as the tread isnt worn down
good luck with the dent hopefully it hasnt cut the plastic. but i have seen people use jb weld and sand it flat for a plastic fixer
i would try to talk him down a thousand or settle for 3500 but 4000 seems a little steep for a notchie auto

[This message has been edited by BlackGT Codde (edited 08-04-2010).]

KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVDirect Link to This Post
Did you pull the carpet back in the trunk and check for rust? I have been told many times it was only driven in 1 winter and pull the carpet back and I could stick my fingers through the sides..

------------------

1999 GMC Jimmy 2dr 4x4
1987 Fiero Coupe 5spd...04' 3400 V6 swap!
1985 Fiero GT 3800 N/A ...3800 S/C being rebuilt now.
1984 Fiero Indy #1098 w/ Centerline Wheels,Hooker Tri-y header and Indy Scoop with Strobe's

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KEV:

Did you pull the carpet back in the trunk and check for rust? I have been told many times it was only driven in 1 winter and pull the carpet back and I could stick my fingers through the sides..

Originally posted by ME:ANNNNNNND my favorite thing about this Fiero is the trunk corners! The only rust I could see was about a half-dollar sized area of surface rust on the driver's side.

Its honestly just barely started, I could easily sand it off, and repaint it, still plenty of metal there.
He seems like a pretty truthful guy. The odometer isn't working right now, told me it hasn't worked for the past two years, but he hasn't had it insured since then either, and told me that it might have a total of 25 miles more than the 68,8xx on the clock...

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 08-04-2010).]

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

1988holleyformula

4109 posts
Member since Jul 2009
A few others that I have had my eye on, I just don't get it, how does owning one Fiero just give me this urge to look on CL for another??

If that blue GT didn't have the problems, I would be all over that

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 08-04-2010).]

GMplastic

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2010 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GMplasticSend a Private Message to GMplasticDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a nice car,
Value is always set by how badly you (and any other potential buyers) want it. But up here in Minnesota, rust and corrosion are always my primary concern when buying any car.
The speedometer issue is probably not too bad. I have the test equipment (function generator, oscilloscope and counter) to fake an input that "should" be coming from the speed sensor.
Since it's an automatic there shouldn't be a problem with someone having mashed the speed sensor gear while going through transmission lube level check. So, the procedure would be to use the 'scope to check for output from the speed sensor at the speed sensor. If it has output, check under the dash ( I used to know which wire to put the scope on...I have that information in my notes at home in the garage). If all of that is working, then its probably in the instrument cluster. The speedometer plugs into the flex-backplane of the the instrument panel, and I have found that the connections can get "gafungi" on them just from being 25 years old. They are easily cleaned. The function generator with a frequency counter can be used to check the speedometer for accuracy once the instrument is working.

If you purchase the car and need help, call. Heck, call either way. Let's talk Fiero's! I sent you my number via PM

~~Dan

------------------
Gold '87 GT, Black '87 GT, Black '88 Mera, 64 Stingray coupe, '01 Corvette coupe, '03 Corvette coupe & caretaker of son's Yellow '87 GT, & Other son's Red '86 GT,
General tinkerer and doer of mechanical deeds

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
My dad has the bug, he sent me these pictures today while I was at work. I can't wait to go look at it! He says it has 87,000 miles and is either an 87 or 88. I love the white with gold lace wheels. One of my favorite color combos.

I'll try to go look at it tonight and get some better pictures and details.
PFF
System Bot
GMplastic

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GMplasticSend a Private Message to GMplasticDirect Link to This Post
That white one is sharp!
Good luck!
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
Heck I didn't even post the price, asking $3500. Looks like the main thing that would bug me about it is the crack in the tail lights. But I think I could live with it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock