Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  What have I gotten myself into? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
What have I gotten myself into? by Kilofox13
Started on: 07-29-2010 09:08 AM
Replies: 54
Last post by: Kilofox13 on 08-05-2010 05:34 AM
Kilofox13

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kilofox13Send a Private Message to Kilofox13Direct Link to This Post
Well, as I posted a couple days ago, I finally got my first Fiero. Well, 2 actually. I love it, but after a mere 3 days having it home, this happened on my way home from work yesterday. Thank God there was no traffic, and I was going relatively slow at the time. I was approaching a toll booth for a bridge, when the hub exploded and the entire wheel, rotor, and brake caliper flew off. Luckily damage was minimal. The front fender, and the rocker were the only parts damaged. The worst part is the wheel flew off the road down a huge ravine thats covered in 7 foot tall weeds, and super thick. I searched for about an hour, and then came back to search for another few hours. Still no luck. I'll be going back today to look some more. I hope I can find it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post

Glad you and everyone were OK. Bad casting? That's crazy whatever caused that to fail like that.
White Spyder

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
WOW! glad no one was hurt. Hope I never have to feel that pain.
10speeder

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-29-2010 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 10speederSend a Private Message to 10speederDirect Link to This Post
WOW I feel sorry for you since you just bought it. Very nice car though.
That looks like a part failure and not something the previous owner had anything to do with it. At least I hope.
I had a 3 point coupling on my shreader do the same thing once, guy at the store said "dam china parts", maybe same with that?
Glad you were not harmed.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
WOW!! That's the first time I've seen that happen to a street car! Glad you're okay. It looks like the resulting damage was marginal, though....Nothing a few hours in the garage can't address.
Kilofox13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kilofox13Send a Private Message to Kilofox13Direct Link to This Post
NO, I certainly don't blame the previous owner! Please don't misunderstand. These things happen. Its just a parts failure. I'm actually feeling blessed; because, normally I'd have been on the Interstate doing 80 MPH in heavy traffic, but for some reason, I decided to take the toll bridge road, which happened to be very low traffic yesterday, and I was approaching the toll booth, so I was going slow. If it happened on the interstate, it could have killed someone.
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
Who's car was this? Beautiful car and a shame this happened on a new purchase. I definitely agree though that it's doubtful the previous owner could have known anything about this or had anything to do with it.
Kilofox13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kilofox13Send a Private Message to Kilofox13Direct Link to This Post
I bought it from F355spyder. He's a really nice guy, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, he had no idea about this. Heck, I drove the car from Corpus Christi TX all the way to Montgomery AL without much problems. The turbo overheated, but considering how hot it was, and how long and hard she had been driving, it's kinda expected. Stuff happens. No major damage, no injuries, so I'm happy. Now I just gotta put her back together!
IROCTAFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIERODirect Link to This Post
HOLY CRAP! you live in Milbrook! I just saw that after you mentioned Montgomery!
zigaroo

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zigarooSend a Private Message to zigarooDirect Link to This Post
Number 1, glad you're ok!

Number 2, glad the car is doing alright! ...even after all that.

And, any chance you can get the info on who manufactured that rotor? I just bought a new set and am curious.

I'd look at all the other rotors and parts for stress cracks and even make sure your calipers are tip-top.
Kilofox13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kilofox13Send a Private Message to Kilofox13Direct Link to This Post
I do! I was wondering if there was any locals on here! I thought I was the only Alabamian! We should get together sometime and have a beer!
PFF
System Bot
IROCTAFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIERODirect Link to This Post
So excited that you lived here that I forgot to say:
glad you are ok and the car looks awesome

I have a 87 GT that I am in the middle of performing a Series 1 3800 SC swap. (Swap is being done in Milton, Fl)
A friend of mine has an 87 GT with a bad 2.8 that we need to fix, and my best friend (moved to Milton, Fl) has an 85 GT and a 88 coupe (receiving a 3100 swap)
Silverdosica

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SilverdosicaSend a Private Message to SilverdosicaDirect Link to This Post
Wow iroctafiero that sounds like a bunch of fun
OUchie that doesnt look fun but is a nice car i have been across that bridge a few times
IROCTAFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIERODirect Link to This Post
Yeah after i saw the Millbrook part, I scrolled back up and was like, "Wait a sec...that's the toll road!"
IROCTAFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIERODirect Link to This Post

IROCTAFIERO

791 posts
Member since May 2005
You know what's fun, Adam? Creating my harness!
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kilofox13:

I bought it from F355spyder. He's a really nice guy, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, he had no idea about this. Heck, I drove the car from Corpus Christi TX all the way to Montgomery AL without much problems. The turbo overheated, but considering how hot it was, and how long and hard she had been driving, it's kinda expected. Stuff happens. No major damage, no injuries, so I'm happy. Now I just gotta put her back together!

Oh man, I didn't know he found a buyer for this! So this is the turbo choptop! Looks like an awesome car. Best of luck getting her patched up and back on the road.
Kilofox13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kilofox13Send a Private Message to Kilofox13Direct Link to This Post
After countless hours of searching yesterday in the ridiculous heat, I finally found the wheel, rotor, caliper, and whats left of the hub.

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
HOLY SCHNIZIT! Scary. Glad you found that wheel.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
interesting... these look like not Fiero parts, what are we looking at exactly. I wonder it this was caused by stress on a part not designed for this application..... just looks like it, but need more info.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Is that an aluminum hub? Looks like it in the pictures.... I realize that there are many cars with these but I gotta say that steel is looking better all the time now that I see that.... How big are those wheels and tires? You are VERY lucky that it failed going slow as it would probably been catastrophic at highways speeds. If I were you I would seriously look at the rest of the wheels and make sure they are okay and actually consider replacing all of them with something else.... That could have been seriously bad..... glad you are unhurt..... What kinda brakes are those? Peace

Pete
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
That is not a Fiero hub... I have never seen a hub like that, so I have to question... Was it replaced? If so, where did it come from/who made it?

That is a poor casting and a hard right angle machine cut hub will stress at the corners like that. There are no reinforcement ridges between the body of the hub and the hat that the studs press into.
PFF
System Bot
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
I am sad that the only choptop in TX with glass windows has left the state...

Mike has won several awards in that car, and it is very much a headturner, congrats on your purchase.

now, as you were practicing rock climbing in that ravine... I am curious how many chigger bites you got?

good luck on getting her fixed.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mDirect Link to This Post
looking at your pics - there is a definate problem on how the hub was cast due to the shearing/breaking
looks very brittle
very rare indeed

jon

[This message has been edited by jon m (edited 07-30-2010).]

arte444

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
Looks like an ebay hub
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
That's a nice looking car, sucks about the damage but at least you are ok and it should be repairable.
As already said, certainly not a stock hub. Looks like the flange is on the end of a thin center piece, maybe to offset it outwards. Seems like it's put a good teal of torsional load on the part that failed.
Can you post a pic of the knuckle. Is that stock or has something else been used.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Was the brake pad even hitting the rotor? Looks like alot of rust on there.
Glad you are O.K.
Good Luck
Gary
Kilofox13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kilofox13Send a Private Message to Kilofox13Direct Link to This Post
Doing this from my phone so ill try to answer all the questions. It's a billet aluminium hub. Part of the RSS big brake kit. The wheel is toast. It's shaped like an egg now. The caliper is still good. The rotor is rusted up a bit cuz it was in a wet field through a rain storm. as far as chiggers, I got lucky, but I have tons of spider bites, and battled with a few tics! LOL. I love this car already and vow to get her back on the road. Better than before.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
man only one thing to say about that. UGLY.. good to see no one was hurt.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Speaking as a mechanical engineer:
What I see is what appears to be a hub that was machined from a casting.
Possibly aluminum from the look of it.
The cast grain structure is clearly evident on both of the parts of the failed hub.
The cracks seen on the flange portion with the studs appear to have been caused by cantilever loading on the hub.
The cracks had likely been there for some time judging by the look of them.
Once the cracks had propagated enough the remainder sheared away, leaving the "torn" look of the metal.
Synthesis is correct in his observation that there appears to be insufficient fillet radius and /or supporting structure machined where the bearing carrier portion of the part met the flange for the studs.
Please get the other hub OFF that vehicle immediately and replace them with quality parts.
You are very lucky that the damage wasn't greater and that nobody was injured.
------------------

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 07-30-2010).]

mike-ohio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioDirect Link to This Post
I would check the other side for stress cracks also.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
We really need to know where they came from... If it is a vendor selling these parts as a kit for the community, they NEED to see this... Adding some ridges on the back edge during machining to reinforce the flange to the hub spindle isn't that much extra work. Just time consuming.. Those simple ridges would have added untold strength to the hub with minimal weight.
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
30 replies and the infamous "That'll buff right out!" hasn't appeared??

...Maybe its cause it really will? haha, either way, hope all turns out well for you so you can enjoy your choptop!
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
This is why I don't mess with the brake system any more. The stock brakes might not be 'great' but they are stock, just have to learn to drive within their limits. Get into an accident with a non stock system (or if that wheel had hit anyone) and your ins co finds out and they'll drop you like a brick unless you specifically said it was a modified car when you insured it. Personally I don't like the idea of facing a huge liability claim without insurance, but hey, that's just me!

I also had a bad experience with a modified brake system (that I paid a lot of money for from a vendor) that I subsequently removed. Fortunately for me the road was empty at the time so not stopping was not an issue but it sure scared the stuffing out of me at the time.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 07-30-2010).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

We really need to know where they came from... If it is a vendor selling these parts as a kit for the community, they NEED to see this... Adding some ridges on the back edge during machining to reinforce the flange to the hub spindle isn't that much extra work. Just time consuming.. Those simple ridges would have added untold strength to the hub with minimal weight.

The part actually requires *gussets*, which would be either forged or cast.

Machining the gussets would require a *huge* amount of time and add a lot of cost.
The part should also NOT be manufactured from a cheap aluminum casting.
Even *welding* some gussets to the hub as it was would have greatly improved it's strength.

This is a exaggerated depiction of the loading of the hub as it was made

Side "A" is in compression
Side "B" is in tension
The cracking started on the tensile loaded side, (B), at a random weak point in the casting grain.
As the hub rotated on the spindle the cracked area was alternately in compression and tension, ("push - pull - push - pull"), which hastened the failure.
You should be able to see from this how the gussets help to mitigate the load stresses and strengthen the part.

Bottom line: Very poorly designed and manufactured hub.

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Side "A" is in compression
Side "B" is in tension
The cracking started on the tensile loaded side, (B), at a random weak point in the casting grain.
You should be able to see from this how the gussets help to mitigate the load stresses and strengthen the part.

Bottom line: Very poorly designed and manufactured hub.

Man, I need to stay in college and see if I can become half as smart as you.
Impressive, goes to show that a good education and applying yourself will earn you a sweet Fiero!
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Man, I need to stay in college and see if I can become half as smart as you.
Impressive, goes to show that a good education and applying yourself will earn you a sweet Fiero!

Aw shucks, I ain't that smart...otherwise I wouldn't be messing around with a Fiero!

Actually, having an engineering degree can make you horrified at some of the things you see done to automobiles.

Like this:

Those are plastic zip ties holding the brake line TO THE TIE ROD!
YES, this was actually done ON PURPOSE by someone!!

BUT WAIT..Thats not all!
Here's more of this finely engineered brake system:

Gotta love them plastic zip ties!!

This is a catastrophic brake failure just waiting to happen.

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Read the OP post above and he states where the brake kit came from...They are out of business now so no worries about anyone else getting sold the parts.....
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2010 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Aw shucks, I ain't that smart...otherwise I wouldn't be messing around with a Fiero!

Actually, having an engineering degree can make you horrified at some of the things you see done to automobiles.

Like this:

Those are plastic zip ties holding the brake line TO THE TIE ROD!
YES, this was actually done ON PURPOSE by someone!!

BUT WAIT..Thats not all!
Here's more of this finely engineered brake system:

Gotta love them plastic zip ties!!

This is a catastrophic brake failure just waiting to happen.

hey, how did you get those pics of my car?!

------------------

Stript96

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2010 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stript96Send a Private Message to Stript96Direct Link to This Post
Hey man I talked to you in Texas when I was headed to the coast. Sorry to see the damage already. Glad however you made it back and through that in one piece. Good luck and yes those look like cheapo ebay hubs. May want to replace all around...

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2010 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Genopsyde:

hey, how did you get those pics of my car?!

I didn't mention a word about you.
If you had just stayed quiet, nobody would have known!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock