Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Beware of PFF member BIG E....rip off artist (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Beware of PFF member BIG E....rip off artist by bmwguru
Started on: 07-26-2010 09:54 AM
Replies: 89
Last post by: jon m on 07-30-2010 03:13 PM
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Normally I don't ever write anything bad about other members, but this scumbag decided to rip me off after I did work on his Mera. Apparently, I didn't realize that customers can decide that their price is whatever they want and small business has to bow down to their wishes.
The worst part of this is that my bank called me to tell me that he decided to do a chargeback on his credit card for 80% of the entire bill....He didn't have the balls to tell me when he picked up his car or give me a call to tell me that he was unhappy with the repairs. In my 8 years in business as a German car shop, this is my first chargeback.....from a Fiero owner and PFF member. I'm seriously concidering going back to making it a German only repair shop after this.

Here is what we had done to his Mera:

Front upper ball joints.
Front upper control arm bushings.
Steering damper
Repack front wheel bearings
balance all tires
Four wheel alignment.

Parts and labor totalled: $525.00
When he came and picked up his car, he bickered a little bit about it taking too long because I had the flu and my technician was out of the country for a funeral, so work was about two weeks behind schedule. I discounted it to $500 and I paid the sales tax for him.
He deputed the charges with his credit card company (which they took 1.5% from me at the time of sale-gotta love credit cards) for $395.00
So, I took a loss and just want to thank this scumbag for making me reconcider working on Fieros for the public.

Also, there was no mechanical defects of my workmanship other than it took a few weeks longer due to my illness.

ok, rant over....

Dave

ps: the three PFF members that work here will be sure to give this guy a neg.

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Your price was very reasonable. I paid about $300 to have just the control arm bushings replaced on my Aztek. Did this guy sign the estimate?
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Bugger dude. Try to remember we're not all like that.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (In A Museum)

mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear this Dave. Please don't give it up because of one guy. You know you can fight the chargeback right? I can promise you I won;t do that to you. Hell I paid people that didn't even get the work done Hey, btw I foun d a shipping company that will bring my nightmare up to you for $595. Shoot me a pm and let me know when to arrange it.

-Michael

P.S. You want me to send someone thuggish over to his house?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Typically, I have the customer sign in two places when they drop off their cars on a write up sheet. Since this was supposed to be a car for the Haus, I did not write his up formally, but I did give a written estimate. I did not expect him to pay with a credit card that I ran through my business credit card machine.
It is not the money I am concered with. $395.00 is small change compared to the typical credit card charges the the German side of my shop runs. I'm not going to contest it, but I think I'll be a little more discriminating of the Fiero owners that I bring into my shop.

I'm just pissed right now and I know that I have no plans to stop working on Fieros. Of the dozen or so that have been through my shop, this is the only one that I would not let return. The other owners have been great.

Dave
windowlicker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2010 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for windowlickerSend a Private Message to windowlickerDirect Link to This Post
Well... take cash only for fieros... Cash up front.

anyways, whats new..
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
Sorry to hear of your experience. A solution would be not to take credit cards. There more than just a few places I know of that accept cash or checks only.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
a little over $500 for what you did was way cheap.

[sarcasm] maybe you should just be happy to have the honor of working on a Mera [/sarcasm]

mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by windowlicker:

Well... take cash only for fieros... Cash up front.

anyways, whats new..

NNNOOOOOOOOOO! If he does that, I won't be able to send my car to him. I just got burned because a shop did that and then didn't get the work done. I literally just got off the phone with an attorney about it. It's all going on credit cards now.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2010 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
Wow. And Meineke wanted to charge me $200 just to install ONE lower ball joint.
Joe 1320

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

NNNOOOOOOOOOO! If he does that, I won't be able to send my car to him. I just got burned because a shop did that and then didn't get the work done. I literally just got off the phone with an attorney about it. It's all going on credit cards now.

Yeah..... cash when it's done and you pick it up. That's the only way it's fair.

------------------
Competition Yellow 84 2.5 Bone stock right down to electrical gremlins.
87 328 GTB replica.

[IMG]http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1384/copyofcopyof miscpicsredga3.th.jpg[/IMG]

PFF
System Bot
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
When I do a big job for a customer, I usually request 50% up-front, and the remaining 50% after they have test drive the vehicle and I have their approval of my work. Usually the initial 50% barely covers parts depending on the job to be performed. This system works very well for me.....
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Just out of curiosity, what would be a total reasonable labor cost for doing the following work on a Fiero?

1. Replace both R & L transmission axle seals on a 4 speed Muncie
2. Rebuild the passenger side axle, ( new inner CV tripot and both the inner and outer CV boots replaced with new ones, clean and paint)
3. Replace the oil pan, (2.8 V6)
4. Replace both valve cover gaskets.
5. Inspect and repack the rear bearing hubs
6. Clean the engine block, transmission,starter, heat shields, suspension, axles and misc. wiring of approx. 5 pounds of accumulated grease, oil and dirt...

I'm very curious what others think this is worth, (not including parts).
I just finished doing this on someones Fiero and I won't disclose what I charged them, but I suspect I basically did some "charity" work.....

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 07-26-2010).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Just out of curiosity, what would be a total reasonable labor cost for doing the following work on a Fiero?

1. Replace both R & L transmission axle seals on a 4 speed Muncie
2. Rebuild the passenger side axle, ( new inner CV tripot and both the inner and outer CV boots replaced with new ones, clean and paint)
3. Replace the oil pan, (2.8 V6)
4. Replace both valve cover gaskets.
5. Inspect and repack the rear bearing hubs
6. Clean the engine block, transmission,starter, heat shields, suspension, axles and misc. wiring of approx. 5 pounds of accumulated grease, oil and dirt...

I'm very curious what others think this is worth, (not including parts).
I just finished doing this on someones Fiero and I won't disclose what I charged them, but I suspect I basically did some "charity" work.....

A shop would charge at least $500-$600 for that much work, myself doing it as a private mechanic probably $400.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Normally I don't ever write anything bad about other members, but this scumbag decided to rip me off after I did work on his Mera. Apparently, I didn't realize that customers can decide that their price is whatever they want and small business has to bow down to their wishes.
The worst part of this is that my bank called me to tell me that he decided to do a charge back on his credit card for 80% of the entire bill....He didn't have the balls to tell me when he picked up his car or give me a call to tell me that he was unhappy with the repairs. In my 8 years in business as a German car shop, this is my first chargeback.....from a Fiero owner and PFF member. I'm seriously considering going back to making it a German only repair shop after this.

Here is what we had done to his Mera:

Front upper ball joints.
Front upper control arm bushings.
Steering damper
Repack front wheel bearings
balance all tires
Four wheel alignment.

Parts and labor totaled: $525.00
When he came and picked up his car, he bickered a little bit about it taking too long because I had the flu and my technician was out of the country for a funeral, so work was about two weeks behind schedule. I discounted it to $500 and I paid the sales tax for him.
He deputed the charges with his credit card company (which they took 1.5% from me at the time of sale-gotta love credit cards) for $395.00
So, I took a loss and just want to thank this scumbag for making me reconsider working on Fieros for the public.

Also, there was no mechanical defects of my workmanship other than it took a few weeks longer due to my illness.

ok, rant over....

Dave

PS: the three PFF members that work here will be sure to give this guy a neg.

That price is peanuts, the guys car I am doing a clutch on right now, before he brought the car to me, he had just gotten a 4 wheel alignment and the 2 front lower ball joints replaced. Bill was $540 for parts and labour. It's hard to believe some people that obviously have a few bucks and then try to screw over someone like that. Maybe when you work or think about working on a PFF members car you will have to check their green/red bar, LOL. Then ask for a dozen personal references.

This clutch job, I am doing I am charging $600 just in labour for the clutch and an un determined extra amount for a bunch of side jobs he wants me to do while I have the engine dropped.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Well that's screwed up. There's always gotta be a bad apple...

What makes that even worse is that you're a nice and reasonable guy, and as everyone else has said, that's cheap labor... and I know you do good work too.

All I have left to say is... you (still) don't have to be worried about me! You just gotta get my car done, I'm going through severe turbo Fiero withdrawals (and I haven't even driven one yet!).

------------------

'10 Camaro LT/RS, 312hp V6 6-speed
'88 Fiero GT - coming soon! - Project MIDTRBO

The rest of my cars are for sale
There's no replacement for turbo placement

fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Please don't let one bad apple sour the bunch. We all love your work, and enjoy reading about it here on the forum. It's very interesting to watch the things you do and you are HUGELY respected amongst forum members.
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

I'm just pissed right now and I know that I have no plans to stop working on Fieros. Of the dozen or so that have been through my shop, this is the only one that I would not let return. The other owners have been great.

Dave

Good to hear. He just burned the most important bridge a Fiero owner could have. We at Pennocks will be sure to Blacklist him...
Keep up the good work Dave.

------------------

Intercooled SC3800 II/III mated to a Getrag. 19's with 13" Brakes on all 4 corners. 5 years in Avionics & 15 years in Car Electronics Experience.

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
Was there not a scam going on by the name BIG E a while ago? Where he took money for used parts and never delivered...

Sounds familiar.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Custom2M4 --- yeah it also rings a bell here but I cant put my finger on it !

------------------

http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2010 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I hear that the Haus does free Fiero work for PFF members! What a deal.

It is very sad when someone rips someone else off. Especially when the cat doing the ripping off is getting such a great deal on parts and labor. Hold your head up bmwguru, you are definately better than most.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Direct link to his rating area, https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...ate.cgi?user=Big%20E

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
I hate to say it but I see cash only down the road for the world in this business. Sorry to hear your bad luck on the deal we all work too hard not to get paid for our time. I would fight it... Good luck..

Vince
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Flushed one down, just need 49 more.and he's gone.

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Looks like he is gone now.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Grand slam for BiG E .... tossed out of this ball park folks .... his report card had a Big F on it !!!!

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 07-26-2010).]

Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Man I wish i had seen this thread earlier so I could have been part of taking out the trash.

Sorry to hear that you got taken Dave. We all aren't like him.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
What an pos. Dave does great work and his pricing is extremely reasonable i wish i lived closer. For that amount of work done and knowing the haus's reputation for extreme quality i would have paid up front and not worried at all. it will get done and done right.

Edited for spelling or you could say i PK'd my sentence.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 07-26-2010).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Remember that Cliff will often times give someone a + to see of it gets his attitude adjusted. But one additional - sinks him for good.

Keep those -'s coming to keep him banned.

Dave looks like ya have 50 more friends here than he does.

Joe Crawford
Texas

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 07-26-2010).]

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

A shop would charge at least $500-$600 for that much work, myself doing it as a private mechanic probably $400.

You would be lucky to get the oil pan alone done for the 500-600 in some places...

Kevin

PFF
System Bot
aconesa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aconesaSend a Private Message to aconesaDirect Link to This Post
@Dave,

Is this the guy that shows his car at the New Hope Car show every year?

Abe
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Abe,
It is that same guy....

We spent the day getting the swaps done, so I obviously got over this pretty quick. I'm glad he is banned...I'll take a loss to rid the forum of the deadbeats and cons.

Thanks to all that posted the kind words ....it gave me the motivation to get the work done today.

Dave
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Your price for the work involved was not out of line. You would think if the guy can pony up for a Mera, he could afford to pay for the repairs on the car. I wish your shop was down here in El Paso. Most shops panic when you drive up in a Fiero.
"It's one of them thar xotic carz."
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Wow...it took "Big E" only 38 posts to get his jive ass kicked off PFF! Ripping off members didn't help matters much, I'm sure. Good work, Cliff. Bounce 'em before they do more damage!

There's a reason why guys like Archie, Rodney and Mr. Mike's have survived so long with the reputations they've built.

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 07-26-2010).]

anonymity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityDirect Link to This Post
38 posts in about 7 years....

Joey

------------------
1986 SE powered by a Volkswagen VR6. Buck Wild!

www.hausofguru.com

[This message has been edited by anonymity (edited 07-26-2010).]

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Your price for the work involved was not out of line. You would think if the guy can pony up for a Mera, he could afford to pay for the repairs on the car.

AGREED. and as a Mera owner....i must say that i would and always pay up front in full. that way, if i need to fight its from the other end.....i tend to be vicious.....can i have his Mera if i bring you his head? whoops thats the comic books talking.....just kidding....the Batousai part of my username does deal with assassin's tho, "slayer of the beast".... in a sence. Japanese. cartoon....

anyway....
i may be able to find him if he pops up with his Mera. i am looking for Meras and their owners all the time.
maybe hard times will hit him and he will need to sell the Mera......snatch......blanket, trunk, desert......whoops now its PrimeTime Network TV talkin....
Later
Dan

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 07-26-2010).]

LZeppelin513

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Direct Link to This Post
That is messed up! Glad the guys is banned but it sucks you have to take a loss Dave. Its a real shame what some people will do...
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

You cannot rate a member that has been banned!

Close This Window

Awww shucks.

Sorry Dave.
windowlicker

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2010 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for windowlickerSend a Private Message to windowlickerDirect Link to This Post
maybe we should key every mera in the area..
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock