The tools we take on road trips. by unboundmo
Started on: 07-25-2010 08:44 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: twofatguys on 07-30-2010 12:42 PM
unboundmo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
Its Funny that everyone I know takes a set of tools with them on trips. Think it's a jinx? Or smart? What's some of the tools that you bring?

I'll start...
Needle nose
reg pliers
10, 8, 7, mm socket
1/4" socket
med size ratchet and extensions
med and small screwdrivers - (philips and flathead)
duck tape
water
jumper cables
trusty ruber grip gloves- great for hot water
sad to say it but - fire extinguisher
mag flashlight
knife
little hammer/Swiss army style
small type of tow rope
I don't bother with my star wrench or jack, I have 100 plus AAA

man, sorry for length- on and on and on. Is it time for sleep

I've been thinking about a carry on, slim case filled with all sockets, allens, etc.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I take a full tool box. Set of 3/8 metric & SAE sockets, full set of wrenches + one adjustable, 4 screwdrivers, vice grips, wire cutters 1/4" sockets with screwdriver handle, #10 torx driver, a quick charge A/C hose/cap tap, a tire repair kit, extra fuses, extra belts, hose clamps, duct tape, electrical tape, two fire extinguishers, vinyl gloves, and a tube of Goop hand cleaner, I also take a code reader, chamois, detail wax, windex and tire shine. With a Fiero you an never have enough tools and if I can't repair it I've got the AAA gold card good for a 100 mile tow.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
I'm like Dennis. I keep a school backpack full of tools in the front on the spare tire and a bag of spares in the back along with a bottle of mixed coolant and jumper cables. That's along with another backpack with detail & cleaning stuff. I've never had a Fiero break down on me when I was anywhere remotely near a parts store! I used to carry a small floor jack as well (the Fiero jack's a joke) but it took up too much space in the trunk.

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 07-25-2010).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
A butload of $$$ usually does it..
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
I mostly just carry a couple of vice-grips and my AAA card and cellphone. If you build and maintain it correctly, then nothing serious ever goes wrong.
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

I mostly just carry a couple of vice-grips and my AAA card and cellphone. If you build and maintain it correctly, then nothing serious ever goes wrong.

Thumbs up on the AAA card!

------------------
Competition Yellow 84 2.5 Bone stock right down to electrical gremlins.
87 328 GTB replica.

[IMG]http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1384/copyofcopyof miscpicsredga3.th.jpg[/IMG]

Lone Ranger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lone RangerClick Here to visit Lone Ranger's HomePageSend a Private Message to Lone RangerDirect Link to This Post
Wow! It's deja vu all over again... I was just thinking of posting this question myself. I have a slightly different point-of-view, because I was looking for opinions on a basic tool set to put together something a little more formal - like the tool kits that came with classic sports cars. I believe the proper term is "fitted tool kit." So I will be avidly following this discussion, while thinking of interesting places to "fit" that toolkit. Right now, best unused space seems to be inside the spare...so something like the round toolkits that came with VW's that are still available. Any other ideas?
Lone Ranger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lone RangerClick Here to visit Lone Ranger's HomePageSend a Private Message to Lone RangerDirect Link to This Post
Nobody else interested? Or are people unwilling to admit they carry tools when they leave home in their Fiero?
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
I hate it when my wife laughs and has to take pictures of the Fiero when it's getting towed

Have you seen the tow trucks that have air bags for lowering and a break pivot point in the flatbed? ---- Nice.. no scraps at all getting chained up. I never let a fork style lift up the car for a tow... NEEDS to be a flatbed.

Oh.. I realized that I forgot a lot of things too from the list reading the other posts..... just got bored of typing.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
When I am going on a long trip or to an automotive gathering, I usually bring this collection of tools...

Tool box fits in the bottom of the truck with room to spare and these basic tools will allow you to just about any repair you need to do. Most of the time, I pack the tools just so they will be available if someone needs to use them.... get too many fieros together at any time and you are probably going to have one of them break down.
Lone Ranger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lone RangerClick Here to visit Lone Ranger's HomePageSend a Private Message to Lone RangerDirect Link to This Post
Wow, Fieroguru, that's a really complete kit! How about a list of what's in the picture? I'm not sure I can figure out what everything is you've shown us. Thanks!
PFF
System Bot
CanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanFieroSend a Private Message to CanFieroDirect Link to This Post
Full set of sockets, pliers, vice grips, screwdrivers, shop rags, oil, windsheild washer fluid. Just enough room left for a backpack with some clothes LOL.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
Anyone who's got a particularly nice Fiero can call me a tool, if it means they'll take me out on a road trip!
RACE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
Floor Jack
Jack stands
Socket and wrench set (Located on spare tire)
Water (On spare tire)
2 Fire extinguishers (One front, one back)
Screwdrivers
AAA card
Volt meter
A few random hand tools
Torque wrench

Coming soon - An emergency escape hammer with hook knife in the handle, placed within easy reach, in case I need to cut the seat belt off or break the window to free myself. It could also be used to gain access into another vehicle in distress to extract it's occupants. You never know when you will need to be a first responder. Chances are that one day you will be called upon. Be ready.

------------------
Central Iowa Fieros Central Iowa Fieros - Stie is under construction.

[This message has been edited by RACE (edited 07-30-2010).]

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
I take myself

but serious I am so in tune with my car that the tools vary depending on what I expect to fail

so far I haven't felt like carrying an engine hoist

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 07-29-2010).]

Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
with recent events, I suggest everyone carry a ball joint press and extra ball joints

------------------

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

When I am going on a long trip or to an automotive gathering, I usually bring this collection of tools...

Tool box fits in the bottom of the truck with room to spare and these basic tools will allow you to just about any repair you need to do. Most of the time, I pack the tools just so they will be available if someone needs to use them.... get too many fieros together at any time and you are probably going to have one of them break down.

Is that a 12 volt DC soldering iron or maybe you have an inverter wired in somewhere to run it.

Spoon
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

Is that a 12 volt DC soldering iron or maybe you have an inverter wired in somewhere to run it.

Spoon

It is a 110V soldering iron... my blue car does have an inverter, but I have never tried to plug the soldering iron into it.
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproDirect Link to This Post
Playskool has a nice setup, complete with tool box.

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
My wife takes a tool if I go with her.

Brad

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock