HYPER LUBE SUPER COOLANT by VFR182
Started on: 07-24-2010 08:45 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Bassman on 07-25-2010 12:23 PM
VFR182

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VFR182Send a Private Message to VFR182Direct Link to This Post
I came across an add for hyper lube super coolant. it purports to lower engine temps by up to 20 degrees and has a special "wetting agent" to help coolant better penetrate heat transfer areas. Anyone try it in a fiero with a conversion, i dont have a cooling problem but what the heck. I am very reluctant however to putting additives in my radiator. Any thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
If you have a stock 2.8 or 2.5 in the Fiero, you're probably better off just putting in a 180 degree stat, and a 195 degree fan switch, if you want to lower the temperatures 20 degrees.

I wouldn't bother with it. It's not going to save you any money, and additives may make the coolant more corrosive, depending on what's in them. Even Dexcool is pretty corrosive if not properly maintained, and it's used in all new GM vehicles, and has been for some time now.
Vernon8360

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Direct Link to This Post
It may apply here: If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

------------------
1988 GT
Manual
Medium Red Metallic
Gray Leather

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
I will disagree with the first two respondants to your original posting.

This technology has been used for years, it's nothing new and it works by preventing the coolant from boiling on the hot surface.

Think of it this way, even though your coolant temp is 195, and the pressure in the system raises the boiling point to 250, the hot surface that is being cooled reaches well over the boiling point of the coolant. Just like in a pan of water on the stove, little bubbles form on the heated surface, and thouse bubbles reuce the transfer efficiency of the coolant.

This type of additive prevents the formation of the little bubbles, increasess the transfer efficiency of the coolant, and the heated surface cools faster.

For more info, and to talk to someone who uses it, PM steve25 here on the forum.

Joe

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
I used a product in a different vehicle (truck) that had always run a bit on the hot side even with a perfectly functioning cooling system and the proper blend of anti freeze -- (water wetter was the name of the product) - It did improve the cooling of the vehicle - guage posted lower and more acceptable temps and the vehicle just seemed to preform better -- it was also easier to drive with the calmed down temp guage giving added peace of mind.

VFR182

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VFR182Send a Private Message to VFR182Direct Link to This Post
very interesting. I figured it was some sort of "viscosity enhancer". Ill check it out. thanks for the info
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
i have used red-line water wetter. it works by breaking the surface tension of the water a similar additive is used in hi end computer cooling systems. This breaking of the tension is what allows the water to flow better and not bubble or boil as previously stated by making the water slicker and able to pull more heat from the surface decreasing its tendency to boil the coolant.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
That's exactly how it works. Been around for years.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I love Water Wetter, I use to have my nitrous 2.9 V6 and used the nitrous a lot more than I should have, "Hey it made trips to the grocery store much more fun" I would notice that after using it in city streets the engine temp would spike rather quickly, on the suggestion of the place that filled my nitrous bottles, I added the water wetter to a 75% water 20% antifreeze and one bottle water wetter mix. The temps were much more stable, car ran cooler and overall just performed better.

Now its part of my normal spring routine, every spring I drain out the cooling system, flush it and put in fresh distilled water 1 gallon of antifreeze and 1/2 liter of water wetter. I have not had a Fiero overheat in years.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Bassman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BassmanClick Here to visit Bassman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BassmanDirect Link to This Post
Here's a video of Water Wetter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pApWgZdozQA

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock