Started on: 07-23-2010 02:37 AM
Replies: 22
Last post by: Arizona85GT on 07-25-2010 03:02 AM
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Can someone with an 88 GT answer a question for me...

Do your tail-lights have the year of production on them? I have a sneaking suspision the shop that had m fiero swapped my mint condition tail lights out for another set. The ones that came back with (with not on) the car say 86 on them....?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Can someone with an 88 GT answer a question for me...

Do your tail-lights have the year of production on them? I have a sneaking suspision the shop that had m fiero swapped my mint condition tail lights out for another set. The ones that came back with (with not on) the car say 86 on them....?

I have never checked but can if you tell me where the date is.....
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
It's in the embedded numbers on the outward facing side (the lense) I just couldn't sleep tonight and kept thinking that my tail lights didn't look right so I went out and got a closer look and saw the number 86 in the sequence. If it's an 88 I would think the number would have had an 88 in it, not an 86. If he swapped them out, his ass is going to jail.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 07-23-2010).]

SOV3RN

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SOV3RNSend a Private Message to SOV3RNDirect Link to This Post
Wow. I would be pissed. I have an 85 but will check anyway tomorrow morning. Keep us posted.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mDirect Link to This Post
just a thought to add to that - date stamps are usually numbered in a clock like circle with an arrow pointing outwards, to a number from 1 - 12 this is the month of manufacture and in the middle of the circle is the year i.e 88.

to just bear in mind, that on my 87gt most of my date stamps are with 86 in the middle, which means that particular part was manufactured in 1986.

because of mass production of parts cars that were manufactured and 1st registered may not have the same year date stamps on.

that said if yours is a 88 - the chances of having some parts with a date stamp of 87 I would say would be high anything below this i.e 84, 85, 86 would be very slim - unless pontiac had a lot of excess parts to use up - but very doubtful

hope this helps you
jon
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I have no faith in mechanics i recently had a mechanic reverse everything he ever did on my bmw because he got the shits about 5k of parts swapped out for junk. Car is officially a pos and will be taking a huge loss as i wont be paying again for eveyrhing as it exceeds the value of the car. To top it off he sued me and i cant prove a thing.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

It's in the embedded numbers on the outward facing side (the lense) I just couldn't sleep tonight and kept thinking that my tail lights didn't look right so I went out and got a closer look and saw the number 86 in the sequence. If it's an 88 I would think the number would have had an 88 in it, not an 86. If he swapped them out, his ass is going to jail.

If it is the # torward the end then mine say 86 on my 88 GT also...So I am guessing it has nothing to do with the year but unsure....There was a set of GT tail lights on Craigslist some time back in the Houston area. I checked the number listed in the Ad and it was to TexasGT so I didn't even worry with trying to buy them...I wouldn't put it past TexasGT to do something like this.....
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
They all say "86" on them.

Years ago, it used to be a rule of thumb that you could tell the year of the car by the number on the taillights; then that all went out the window when they started using the same casting for more than one year. Being tooled for the 86GT, the taillights kept the "86" all the way until the end.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

It's in the embedded numbers on the outward facing side (the lense) I just couldn't sleep tonight and kept thinking that my tail lights didn't look right so I went out and got a closer look ...

Well, even more importantly... this sentence makes it read like you've got your car back! did you?

Everything seem to be ok?... (other than this taillight issue)
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Car is back and completely unfinished. The engine is "on the cradle" which is "in the car" but nothing is hooked up. the engine is not sitting correctly, a bunch of stuff wasn't done or done incorrectly, and now I get to pretty much start over at the point where the other engine had been removed. Both of the partners from the shop are throwing each other under the bus, and both of them say the other one broke my tail lights and put his in as a replacement. I also found out they didn't do some work on my Acura I paid them to do. Oh and one of them told me the other one crushed my gas tank by jacking it up in the wrong spot. I haven't confirmed this yet. The shop I took it to advised me to send it to someone who knows more about these cars than they do, because it will be cost prohibitive to have them tear it back down and rebuild it.

They won't be doing this to anyone ever again. That I promise.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure it has to do with year of DOT approval or something.. All notchie taillights that I've seen have '84 stamped on 'em, even my '88s.
PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Well, they did admit to breaking mine, which were completely mint and these are not. Any suggestions for finding a mint set?
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Man that sucks... seems a lot of people lately are getting bum service on their fieros, what the hell? At least they were man enough to admit their fault in the matter. Good luck with getting it right and peace

Pete
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
My 88s have DOT (2) 1 (2) R (2) S (2) T 86 GUIDE 2P2 and they are original.
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
Fierostore is about your only option, the good news is the fierostore fastback lenses are made with the GM tools so they shouldnt suck any more then the GM originals. If they destroyed your tail lights then they should be buying your new set from there not trying to pawn off used ones on you.
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
^ ^ ^

ditto what fiend said... TFS has the original molds and tooling for GT lenses, and they are supposed to be of great quality.

dude... dude. I am really sorry to hear the car did not turn out right. Good luck in any recovery efforts... if successful, your method might can be the template that others should follow when dealing with unscrupulous vendors. At least you got your car back... there are so many that never do... or just keep going on faith that they will...

Now where is that thread that you and I went around (most respectfully) about this very issue?
(that's not a barb... more along the lines of prophecy fulfilled...)
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

^ ^ ^

ditto what fiend said... TFS has the original molds and tooling for GT lenses, and they are supposed to be of great quality.

dude... dude. I am really sorry to hear the car did not turn out right. Good luck in any recovery efforts... if successful, your method might can be the template that others should follow when dealing with unscrupulous vendors. At least you got your car back... there are so many that never do... or just keep going on faith that they will...

Now where is that thread that you and I went around (most respectfully) about this very issue?
(that's not a barb... more along the lines of prophecy fulfilled...)

Yeah, I had already seen this coming, but wasn't going to admit it until it happened. Not that I'm looking forward to it, but small claims court, fraud claims, and some other nasty tricks up my sleeve will show what can be done for sure. If they don't have any money, they won't have any cars, electronics, or clothes by the time I'm done.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 07-23-2010).]

blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
I just read your other thread... sorry to have you bring that up in this thread too... my bad.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

They all say "86" on them.

Years ago, it used to be a rule of thumb that you could tell the year of the car by the number on the taillights; then that all went out the window when they started using the same casting for more than one year. Being tooled for the 86GT, the taillights kept the "86" all the way until the end.

This is correct. Usually the first year a lens is used is the year on it.

Years ago you could tell the year as they changed tail lights every year.

The coupe lights should also all have 84 on them.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ya, I forget what year exactly they stopped doing that. That was always how you knew what year a car was.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Back when the gas cap was behind the license plate, if you bent down to read the year on someone's taillights, it would look like you were sniffin' gas or siphoning.
PFF
System Bot
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
If there's no cracks, chips, or delamination, you can make them look like new by wet sanding them with extremely fine sandpaper (I use 800, then 1500, then 2000), and then using a good quality plastic polish, such as Meguiar's #17 Plastic Cleaner. I have an old set that I made look like new. I'm sorry to hear of your problems....thought I'd throw this out for you in case you're not able to get the shop to cough up for a new set.
Arizona85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arizona85GTSend a Private Message to Arizona85GTDirect Link to This Post
I work for Sherwin Williams and this was demo'd by our 3M rep for us. It's freaking amazing, I would recommend all to do this if you have warned, blurred, oxidized etc etc etc front and rear lights. Just make sure they are sound no cracks or chips. Make sure they are securely mounted before you do it aswell..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WOESJY6qgQ

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock