Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Are there aftermarket stereos that don't feel cheap?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Are there aftermarket stereos that don't feel cheap? by jmbishop
Started on: 07-15-2010 12:51 AM
Replies: 19
Last post by: Isolde on 07-15-2010 10:04 PM
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
I've looked around a little at car stereos and finally realized what I hate about all of them. All of them feel and look cheap. I want that OEM button feel, not made in china plastic toy feel.

So far all I've found that doesn't feel cheap is touch screens because they have no buttons, does anyone here use a stereos other than OEM from other cars that don't have a cheap feel?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
IDK if you'd consider mine cheap or not, but I truly love the CD player that the PO put in my white Fiero. It's an older unit, which may mean it wasn't made in China. Maybe Japan. But it sounds great to my ears, and is extremely easy to use. I had it figured out within 5 minutes. The only identification I can offer is this pic of the detachible face:

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 07-15-2010).]

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
That's why I like the older model of cd radios. I had a Pioneer super tuner pullout radio and it was so easy to operate. Now I have a modern radio cd player and sometimes it's a pain in the rear to figure out. I regret misplacing the instructions. :-(

I can always go back to my sparkomatic 8 track player. Life was so simple.

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 07-15-2010).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/076332.html
The Clarion in particular but the Pioneer is the best quaility aftermarket to fit stock size.

http://www.humount.com/ If you want the best functioning and looking dash kit for an aftermarket stereo
Fiero logo LED
http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=CMV1

[URL=http://www.nextag.com/norob/PtitleSeller.jsp?chnl=main&tag=40784790&ctx=siDmHsMCtYM6IxpPAAAfKDvmdLrvOo9jJI2T5NeJaf%2Fq%2Ba3WuL6v98uW0761H0HB5JqizykIPNUNarEaXXV8p2HRkg6gLg6F2gW07BYq3Dw2WNyJaiLAdxAS5bGMEdChUPP1LVlF71QkseyAljjXIbyaZxS5YAY04tLfYvqWCtSPX0A EGBHK]http://www.nextag.com/norob...4tLfYvqWCtSPX0AEGBHK[/URL] A8yCwuvF%2BQYSWc6TaiBUXOrz2ZkSBIlRnA%3D%3D&ptitle=3052325

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 07-16-2010).]

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
I totally agree about the cheap feel, look and operation of the aftermarket radios. My 78 pickup had a Pioneer in it when I bought it in 1998 and it is an exception to the rule. When I sell it, I will keep the radio and put in a factory radio. I'd recommend getting someone to install an input jack in a factory radio and use an mp3 player or external CD player. You'd have the best of all possible worlds that way.

I have several GM car radios that I bought for parts but all of them worked when I plugged them in. I like the feel and ease of operation of the factory radios-even the one in my wife's new model TrailBlazer. I will install an mp3 input jack in all of them and put them on ebay except for the pristine Pontiac radio CD unit I found. I think that one will go into my Fiero.

I had a funny experience yesterday with my aftermarket Kenwood CD player. I couldn't get the radio to switch to the mp3 player input. I stopped, took out the three language instruction book, found the directions on page 83 and their solution was to disconnect the radio from the battery input. I removed the inline fuse, replaced it and I was able to switch the radio to the mp3 player. Anyone want a fairly new $179 Kenwood CD radio cheap??
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
lol - yup - I know whatcha mean
the hard slag plastic buttons & knobs, which are loosely fit, and cheesy lighting
go to a "real" outlet - not a "big box" store, to start with
gotta remember - most of these things are made to impress teenagers
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

IDK if you'd consider mine cheap or not, but I truly love the CD player that the PO put in my white Fiero. It's an older unit, which may mean it wasn't made in China. Maybe Japan. But it sounds great to my ears, and is extremely easy to use. I had it figured out within 5 minutes. The only identification I can offer is this pic of the detachible face:

I bought one of those and put it in the Jeep we had. When we traded it in for the Bonneville I told my wife that I wish I had the time to change it out with the JVC in my Fiero. Not the greatest stereo, but it worked really well. About my only complaint was the brightness of the illumination. It was really bright.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-15-2010).]

DougC

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DougCSend a Private Message to DougCDirect Link to This Post
When I got my 'ro my g/f said I had to get a new stereo that matched the car's color more (stereo lit up obnoxious orange, she said I needed red) so she searched for one and ended up getting me a Dual.

I had a Dual in my Subaru before, and for the price they're good little stereos, not much adjustability in the EQ, but they sound fine with the presets. Though the one I have in my 'ro the buttons are crap, and the screen is attached to the unit, not the faceplate... really odd.

What I'd really like is a unit that doesn't do CD (since I use my Zune) and has a smooth face (like those Kameleons or w/e brand that was in the 90s maybe?) or no face at all, so it looks like there is no stereo installed, but has a faceplate I can put elsewhere (maybe move the window switches, and install some kind of stereo controls there... hmm)

But back to my main point. Dual can feel not flimsy, and for the price, they just do their job w/o being complicated, I'd just recommend looking at them in person instead of just ordering online first
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

While it might work well and be easy to use this is exactly what I don't want. The button are small and made out of painted clear plastic, if you use the buttons enough you will wear the paint off.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

jmbishop

4484 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

lol - yup - I know whatcha mean
the hard slag plastic buttons & knobs, which are loosely fit, and cheesy lighting
go to a "real" outlet - not a "big box" store, to start with
gotta remember - most of these things are made to impress teenagers

I don't even know what a "real" outlet is, do they even exist? I can't think of one place around here that doesn't try to appeal to teenagers.
Vendetta

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VendettaSend a Private Message to VendettaDirect Link to This Post
You could always get one of these. I love this headunit it beat the crap out of my old Alpine headunit. Its a Kenwood KVT 514. I love the touch screen and possibilites of this headunit.

Austin

PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
Not to knock the others here, but out of all the head unit brands, I've always thought Dual units had the cheapest feel. Some that I have looked at recently for a new stereo in my Cadillac include:

http://www.crutchfield.com/...ml?showAll=N&tp=5684
^ You won't find any buttons on the FZ409's futuristic faceplate — a bright Organic EL display shows track information on its multi-line readout, while touch sensor controls give you access to the receiver's functions. Plus, the controls only display icons relevant to the task at hand, making it a breeze to find the control you're looking for.

^ Just a sleek black and grey look, no annoying bright green, blue, or red displays. Plus it has more sound altering options to compensate for different speakers and sounds than I need.

^Another sleek style that offers a front USB and SD slot. 3" Color display can show photos and even videos

^ Little bit out of my price range, but if I had an iPhone with the Pandora Radio app, this would be a must have head unit, I've never used an Alpine unit that felt cheap to me

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

1988holleyformula

4109 posts
Member since Jul 2009

Originally posted by Vendetta:

You could always get one of these. I love this headunit it beat the crap out of my old Alpine headunit. Its a Kenwood KVT 514. I love the touch screen and possibilites of this headunit.

Austin

That is one of my favorites also, I didn't get it because I thought it might interfere with shifting, I take it that its not a problem?

One of my friends had that head unit and we connected his un-used PS2 to it. It was a lot of fun to play Need for Speed while we were driving down the road, especially with all the screeching tires and sound effects playing through the car's speakers. Did you connect that wire that disables the video function while the car is in drive? We just screwed it into a ground.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
this is the one im useing untill i do a carputer..aka ipad

http://www.dualav.com/mobileaudio/xdma7715.php

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.
#12 NYFOC Member
In recent times, the custom aftermarket car/automobile roadwheel has become a status symbol. These wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims". The term "rim" is incorrect because the rim is only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:
I don't even know what a "real" outlet is, do they even exist? I can't think of one place around here that doesn't try to appeal to teenagers.

there are a few left around here - but - yes - most have disappeared
Mickey Shore, K40 & CarToyz are the ones that come to mind around here
Vendetta

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VendettaSend a Private Message to VendettaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

That is one of my favorites also, I didn't get it because I thought it might interfere with shifting, I take it that its not a problem?

One of my friends had that head unit and we connected his un-used PS2 to it. It was a lot of fun to play Need for Speed while we were driving down the road, especially with all the screeching tires and sound effects playing through the car's speakers. Did you connect that wire that disables the video function while the car is in drive? We just screwed it into a ground.

It doesn't interfere with shifting at all. I love it. I couldn't be happier. The only thing it hinders is the ac controls but the angle adjustment on the screen allows room to mess with it but for me i usually leave the ac on high till it cools then just lower the fan speed and leave it alone.

Austin
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

this is the one im useing untill i do a carputer..aka ipad

http://www.dualav.com/mobileaudio/xdma7715.php

This is exactly what terrifies me. I would like to try that thing Austin posted, but it's not in the budget until my Fiero is running again.
And to the OP, knock mine all you like, but if you use it long enough to wear the lettering off the buttons, you'll have it be second nature what each button does.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
problem is with push button ones is that after a few weeks et you hae to hammer the buttons to get em to work lol
Black Lotus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black LotusSend a Private Message to Black LotusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vendetta:

Austin

That looks familiar.
Looks like the KVT696 I have in my car. I have the nav unit and FM traffic -FM traffic not seen in this pic.
I think it is an UGLY unit when closed up. It is also a dark chocolate color when the sun is shining directly on it, rather than black.
Does work well enough 'tho, and the display is very good. I only bought it so I could have a built in nav system using the DIN 1 footprint.
Didn't think it would fit in a Fiero. Who woulda thunk it?
If you get one, make sure you get all the extras you want all at once, so you only have to hassle with the installation one time.
If you can afford it, it's pricey.

Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

problem is with push button ones is that after a few weeks et you hae to hammer the buttons to get em to work lol

that's only if you spill Pepsi all over it. Mine's at least 5 years old, 3 years ago I used it daily for 2 months, last month I tried it again. Buttons still working fine.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock