Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  fieros with cassette players still using them (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
fieros with cassette players still using them by pete 2m4
Started on: 07-12-2010 07:21 PM
Replies: 42
Last post by: wirthy on 07-15-2010 12:31 PM
pete 2m4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Direct Link to This Post
so how many of us are still die hards and still using cassette players in their fieros? i for one still do. and for the real crazies like myself who only plays 80s music in their fieros. im just curious and hope im not the only one who has gone over the edge.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyDirect Link to This Post
Dude...I just may have you beat ! I still use the casette players in both my Fieros. Rush, WhiteSnake, Halestorm, or Pat Benetar get the billing most of the time...But when I really want to boogie down the highway...none other than Black Oak Arkansas !
Top that !
Fiero88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero88GTSend a Private Message to Fiero88GTDirect Link to This Post
i still have the stock radio in mine. i don't use cassette tapes in it but i have tried my cassette that i plug my ipod into and put the tape in and i can listen to my ipod in the car without an after market radio. i haven't listened to any music in it though except for testing it in the garage. all the speakers but the one next to my head are blown out and when you turn it up they make annoying sounds as they attempt to work. just one speaker turned down enough so the other speakers don't act up isn't loud enough to hear when the engine is running to so theres no point in even turning the radio on. some day ill get to putting in new speakers.
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
I hear there is an awesome new beta-max movie out about the Fiero sound system! lmao! Just yankin your chain! I am not running the factory tape player, but only a year or so ago, I sold an '80 Corvette with a factory (working) 8-track and cb radio.
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero radio/cassette went belly up so I put my '88 Buick radio cassette in it. The display isn't orange but it plays cassettes. I have Abraxas on tape so I can drown out the 3800SC exhaust.
Steven_Kreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven_KregSend a Private Message to Steven_KregDirect Link to This Post
Hell yea. 80's tapes only!

Currently listening to Guns n' Roses
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
I've given serious thought to converting my Fiero back to cassette (when I bought it, I installed one of Kru's CD players since it was missing a stereo entirely).

Its probably just a matter of time until I do it.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Didn't use one when they first came out, don't even have any tapes or CDs. When I bought my Dodge Truck, it had the fanciest and "best" stereo system available from Dodge, (I am not suggesting it's great, only that it was the best offered.) it was in the truck when I bought it. Tried telling them to take it out and drop the price because I wasn't going to pay for it. They ended up leaving it in for some reason. I didn't pay the additional dollars for it. Regardless, the only time it's ever had anything stuck into it was when one of my kids borrowed it. I listen to radio when I'm in the mood and it's available. Other than that, it simply isn't that important to me.

Ron
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
My fancy Pioneer CD unit crapped out, so I picked up one of these (mine's Monsoon version, looks like new) already converted for IPOD/Zune mp3, for $78 + shipping off Ebay Motors:

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 07-12-2010).]

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
But I would walk 500 miles. And I would walk 500 more. Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles...

I use the tape desk, but use a cassete-to-mp3 player adapter.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
What, nobody out there sporting an 8-track deck?

PFF
System Bot
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post
8 track! LOL

I have an issue where my rear speakers dont work. What are teh chances that both speakers are blown?
Im thinking the original factory cassette player I have, the rear channel is blown...

Gotta figure that out too..
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post

Midnight

371 posts
Member since Jun 2010
This looks cool...

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Midnight:

This looks cool...

Do you have a link for that? Does it charge the iPod? I am using an FM transmitter right now in my Cadillac only beause it charges my iPod while it plays, but I hate having to find a station that's clear and too often I get static. Looks like that would be a decent alternative.
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
My 87 GT has the premium sound system with the casstte player that still works fine. The 88 was converted to a single CD player from a 98 GP.
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, but I wasn't using logic there... What kind of vehicle has a tape deck that you put the tape in that way?? Don't tapes go in the opposite of the way pictured? edit: or at least they don't go that way in the Fiero or my cadillac

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 07-13-2010).]

nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
I dont have the factory deck in my 86 GT but I do have the factory cassette deck out of my wife's 98 Grand Am in it.
Nothing like cruising & playing 80's hair band cassettes. White Snake, Ratt, Motley Crue....

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
Don't have the factory tape deck, but the after market head unit (10 years old now) is a tape deck with an iPod/MP3 player dock and a remote 6cd changer.
Wanted to be able to listen to any format.

-Dave

adding: can't remember if the tape deck has ever been used in any way...

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 07-13-2010).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

My fancy Pioneer CD unit crapped out, so I picked up one of these (mine's Monsoon version, looks like new) already converted for IPOD/Zune mp3, for $78 + shipping off Ebay Motors:

After I converted my dash to the Firebird I bought one of these off ebay to complete the look. So far three of them have failed due to the "Volume Control issue" and I've about given up replacing them. If I am to continue using them I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy one that's had the problem fixed.

I have the adapter that allows me to use the line input from the changer controls so I can feed the signal in directly. The modified version here would have been a cheaper option though.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 07-13-2010).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
I still have the original cassette player that came with the car in '87 but use a "cassette adapter" to plug in my MP3 Sony Walkman. I upgraded the speakers, amp and sub a couple of years ago so the system still looks stock but sounds light years better!!
PFF
System Bot
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

I still have the original cassette player that came with the car in '87 but use a "cassette adapter" to plug in my MP3 Sony Walkman. I upgraded the speakers, amp and sub a couple of years ago so the system still looks stock but sounds light years better!!

Do you know if its a common issue that the 1987 stock radio that the rear speakers give out? Trying to figure if its the speakers or the radio aI have a problems with.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

After I converted my dash to the Firebird I bought one of these off ebay to complete the look. So far three of them have failed due to the "Volume Control issue" and I've about given up replacing them. If I am to continue using them I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy one that's had the problem fixed.

I have the adapter that allows me to use the line input from the changer controls so I can feed the signal in directly. The modified version here would have been a cheaper option though.

www.replacementradios.com has the fix or repairs them for <$30. I had the same issue with my 98 GP radio. I sent it out and it was back within a week works fine. I found another similiar radio in a junkyard Pontiac and pulled it. This works as well.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Midnight:

Do you know if its a common issue that the 1987 stock radio that the rear speakers give out? Trying to figure if its the speakers or the radio aI have a problems with.

Not to my knowledge. Mine were working but the cones had pretty much rotted away. So had the ones in the dash, for that matter. I could understand the dash speakers going bad (sunlight/heat/humidity/etc) but the rear ones were a mystery to me.

If yours are out completely, you're likely looking at a wiring or head unit issue.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

www.replacementradios.com has the fix or repairs them for <$30. I had the same issue with my 98 GP radio. I sent it out and it was back within a week works fine. I found another similiar radio in a junkyard Pontiac and pulled it. This works as well.

Thanks for the tip...I know I should do that. For some reason I thought that buying another junkyard radio for $30 was a better investment. Turns out it was not. I need to send one off to that guy and have him fix it. Very annoying to have the volume spontaneously fade to nothing as you are driving along.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
My new Sebring came with a AM/FM/CD player. I took it out and replaced it with an OEM AM/FM/CD/cassette. I have lots of cassettes. I can also record anything on a tape recorder, including talk radio like Coast to Coast and listen to it when I want.
pete 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Direct Link to This Post
OK now what are your favorite tapes? me Thompson Twins Side Kicks Duran Duran first album Dokken Missing Persons Spring Sessions
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Is anyone looking for a cassette player ?

This one is out of my 88 Formula. Does work, swapped it out for the Monsoon CD unit.

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
What is this "cassette" thing which you speak of?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Is anyone looking for a cassette player ?

This one is out of my 88 Formula. Does work, swapped it out for the Monsoon CD unit.

You mean swapped out of your GT?

I wouldn't mind finding one of the black 84 models still working for my Indy. I'm thinking of making a fake stock Fiero faceplate that lights up but you can flip it down to reveal a modern head unit.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Direct Link to This Post
in 1990 i sold a 86 fiero gt that had a cassett player in it and i am today still playing the tapes in the 87 gt i purchased in feb. i did buy a cassett cleaner on amazon today. this thread inspired me to look on amazon and thay had some in stock.cool, my deck need's cleaning too. maybee the cd player insert will sound better with a clean head. i dolike the i-pod insert but i donot own a i-pod but i might have to buy one.all depends how good the cd player sounds. my tapes have dates on them from the late 80's and sound ok.
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

I wouldn't mind finding one of the black 84 models still working for my Indy. I'm thinking of making a fake stock Fiero faceplate that lights up but you can flip it down to reveal a modern head unit.

The radio worked the last time it was plugged in but I seem to remember there was something wrong with one of the channels.
But that could have been the wire harness. Have no idea if the cassette player works.
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
i still have a cassette player in mine.. Its not the factory one (did they come with one?) its a 12 year old Alpine.. I had a 5 disk CD changer hooked up too it as well, but that thing crapped out years ago, so its only tapes these days.. Been listening to a lot of Iron Maiden lately.
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
Wow, I didn't realize that people still listened to Tapes these days. Unless you pro actively record new tapes, I would have thought all the tape inside would have decayed by now. Can you even buy them anymore? I don't think I have played any type of tape since the 90s

Granted, I don't listen to I-pods or Cds either. I just ignore Emo and Commercials on the radio until something I like comes on to rock out to.

[This message has been edited by katore8105 (edited 07-14-2010).]

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post

I took mine out of my '84 and installed my '88 Buick radio cassette. I used to do repair work and I could go through it for you and install a new belt and clean it up but it works now but with scratchy controls and other minor things that I can repair. I was going to use it for parts but if you want it, just pay postage and its yours. I was surprised one day when my wife was fiddling with it and it came on. She set the time and a few radio stations and I used it until I installed the radio I took out of my old car. If you want it, PM me.
Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillDirect Link to This Post
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post07-14-2010 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
..I have such hot hard driving music as the Chiffons,the Shirrels, Opera, some real cultural stuff ,,cassette player works but do not like my selections..
..the previous owner spent a lot of money on speakers ,,he should have purchased a slave cylinder

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 07-14-2010).]

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shill:

Love the vintage clip of Smoke On The Water with David Coverdale and Tommy Bolin.

IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shill:

Ha ha ha! Holly crap! Beer came out my nose watching that.... no fair, it stings... ouch.

on a side note, My DD Honda still has the stock tape deck.
ShockWave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShockWaveSend a Private Message to ShockWaveDirect Link to This Post
I use the tape deck almost daily, between my iPod adapter and cassette tapes. This came from an early-90s Grand Am after my factory radio's tape deck died last year. I have not owned a CD in 5 years.

Originally posted by katore8105:Can you even buy them anymore?

You can still buy blanks at Walmart or most supermarkets.

------------------

| Jon | Member: NIFE, MisShifts | Facebook | Fiero Blog |
| Photography | Great America Zone | Dixie Square Mall

[This message has been edited by ShockWave (edited 07-15-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave