body bondo / filler to use ? by fierofrenzy
Started on: 07-04-2010 07:04 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Australian on 09-18-2010 02:30 AM
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2010 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyDirect Link to This Post
Hey you guys...I just vented out a hood, and IT CAME OUT EXCELLENT. I used gutted out Camaro hood vents installed in backwards. I used an adheasive call J-B Weld to "glue" them in. This stuff is like steel and I strongly recomend it. I have a few gaps that now need to be filled in to finish the job. I'm looking for a few recomendations for the best and most plyable material to use.
Thanks beforehand....Bob
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2010 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
The hood is made of SMC, and you will want to find a filler made for it. I have some made by Evercoat. (i think). Your regular bondo will have trouble bonding to the SMC. I dont know what to think about the JB weld, but if it works, it works.

What kind of fiero is this? I sold a 85GT to someone in NJ in 06 and im getting curious about it

[This message has been edited by 85sliverGT (edited 07-04-2010).]

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2010 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyDirect Link to This Post
85 silver...
The J-B weld id excellent for the Fiero. I just came in from sanding it down...once again, it looks excellent, and this stuff bonds super strong.
As far as my Fieros beginnings, Its not yours. This is a North Carolina car, which now must endour the potholes of New Jersey... : (
I'll probably just keep using the J-B. The only reason why I was looking elsewhere is because J-B comes in very small tubes, and I'll need a few packs. But its well worth it.

Question. Did your 85 have side scoops and a cool air intake system ? theres a guy who hangs out right around the corner who has one for sale. he actually stopped at my house to see if I wanted it. I posted a notice on here about it a few weeks back. Strong runnin' car !
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2010 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
A word of caution with the JB Weld - after a cold winter you may find that it separates at the feathered edge, leaving a fine crack.
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2010 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Do yourself a favor and just take it to a professional who will stand by his work. Then, you won't need to spend money on the rare filler, the paint over top, and then the time to have him scrape out the filler and replace it with his own stuff. I speak from experience.
Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2010 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

I'm looking for ... the ... most plyable material to use.

As a general rule, all body fillers are brittle and will eventually crack if the surface under them flexes. The thicker the layer of filler, the more likely it is to crack.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 07-04-2010).]

GBglide

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GBglideClick Here to visit GBglide's HomePageSend a Private Message to GBglideDirect Link to This Post
I hear a lot what not to use in this thread. What do you guys use for small stuff like filling in the hole where the antenna used to be?
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2010 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyDirect Link to This Post
To late now dudes...Its in there, its harder than my ex-wifes oat meal cookies...and I actually think its gonna do fine.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2010 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I too know many things we are not supposed to use.

What are we supposed to use.

on the bumpers

on the doors and rear quarters

on teh hood and decklid

...for filling cracks, gouges, or around scoop edges?
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2010 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

85 silver...
The J-B weld id excellent for the Fiero. I just came in from sanding it down...once again, it looks excellent, and this stuff bonds super strong.
As far as my Fieros beginnings, Its not yours. This is a North Carolina car, which now must endour the potholes of New Jersey... : (
I'll probably just keep using the J-B. The only reason why I was looking elsewhere is because J-B comes in very small tubes, and I'll need a few packs. But its well worth it.

Question. Did your 85 have side scoops and a cool air intake system ? theres a guy who hangs out right around the corner who has one for sale. he actually stopped at my house to see if I wanted it. I posted a notice on here about it a few weeks back. Strong runnin' car !

you can buy it in 10 oz tubes.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
You will know how well JB works next spring. It either will be cracked or not by then.
PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I too know many things we are not supposed to use.

What are we supposed to use.

on the bumpers

on the doors and rear quarters

on teh hood and decklid

...for filling cracks, gouges, or around scoop edges?

Stuff to use:

Bumpers, doors and quarters: I use 3M Flexible Bumper Repair kit.....but any major brand will do for fixing flexible bumpers. The stuff is a 2 part mix that stays flexible.

Hood, roof and decklid: I use a polyester body filler made by Evercoat. Again, any major brand is usable if it's specifically designed to work on SMC which is a requirement.....check the label. If you have flaking edges on your hood/roof/rear deck, I use fiberglass....either spreadable filler or resin and cloth. The fiberglass has strength that is needed at these edges and body filler will not hold up without any structure under it. If you are filling chips and deep scratches the filler will work just fine. If you are repairing cracks, the resin and cloth is probably the best.....again for strength. Filler has no strength and cracks will reappear. Use fiberglass for the repair, including the back side of the panel if necessary, then use filler for a final layer as fiberglass doesn't feather well. For scoops and such, I suggest fiberglass resin and cloth and when contoured use the filler for final surface smoothing and feathering.

I hope that helps.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Firefox (edited 09-17-2010).]

vinny

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerDirect Link to This Post
Evercoat makes a regular kevlar filler that is recomended for the body of a Fiero. I would not use anything else. I have been making repairs with it for over three years without any problems. Don't take it to a pro has satisfaction in doing it yourself!
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2010 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Seems to me you already have the strength in the JB product. That said any type of bondo will do as it won't be under stress.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock