Air Intake Corrosion by Midnight
Started on: 06-25-2010 08:00 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Daniel on 06-26-2010 10:08 AM
Midnight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post
I apolgize if this is in the wrong forum... Still learning my way around here.

I Pulled apart the air intake and the whole bottom of the canister is rusted out...

The throttle body had all this white residue that was surrounding it when I pulled the tube connecting to the air intake off of it.. Looks like more corrosion.. Cleaned up pretty nice though.

Anyone know where to get a stock air intake from? The canister that the air filter goes in an the plate on the bottom that it attaches to?
Probably a junk yard huh...?

Thanks.
Dan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Try the mall thread i would think there are a few with pod filters or just do the mod to get your pod to sit under the rear quarter panel and a piece of alum duct or pvc to join back up to engine bay.
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

Try the mall thread i would think there are a few with pod filters or just do the mod to get your pod to sit under the rear quarter panel and a piece of alum duct or pvc to join back up to engine bay.

Do you have a link that explains the MOD your talking about? I think I can figure out what to do by what you are saying..

Either way Thank you..
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Australian

4701 posts
Member since Sep 2004
something similar to that but with the pod filter against the panel.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-25-2010 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
There's another mod, where the filter housing from a Cavalier was used instead, IIRC. It's made of composite instead of steel, so it won't rust or corrode, and is the same size as the Fiero housing. If there was corrosion on your throttle body, then there was probably water getting into the intake, which isn't really a good thing. Was there corrosion on the inside too, or only on the outside, and how bad was it?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-25-2010 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Australian:

something similar to that but with the pod filter against the panel.

I think you mean cone filter. Just pulling the entire air ducting out, including the filter housing, and having some aluminum/plastic/stainless/whatever tubing run down to the quarter panel entrance where the air comes into the stock housing, and having a cone filter inside the quarter panel area, instead of the intake muffler.

It seems better to do if you have the IRM/Stage2/etc... scoops though, instead of the stock looking bit.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I think you mean cone filter.

I guess it depends what country your from.
pod filter is a cone filter , a guard is a fender, a bonnet is a hood, a boot is a decklid on a fiero, a nose spoiler is a splitter, a wing is a spoiler, mags are alloys, torsion bars are tower strut bars, utes are pickups.
just a few examples of different names for things between Australia and USA,
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Midnight:
Anyone know where to get ... The canister that the air filter goes in an the plate on the bottom that it attaches to?
Probably a junk yard huh...?

Yes, but in particular, I recommend you phone or e-mail The Fiero Factory in Toney, Alabama. It's not actually a "factory" per se, but a salvage yard that specializes in Fieros, with a large number on hand ( http://thefierofactory.com ). I've successfully used them in the past on a number of occasions, when I couldn't otherwise locate the Fiero part I was seeking (one of which, coincidentally, was an air cleaner canister in decent condition).

Its current proprietor, Jeremy, is a Pennock's Fiero Forum member. and as was the case with his predecessor, is very knowledgeable and helpful regarding Fieros, in my opinion. For more info on this operation, you can check out the PFF thread titled, "The Fiero Factory 2.0" ( //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/079204.html ).
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post
Insane! Thanks for all the information guys..
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2010 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-096287.html

You dont have to replace the bottom elbow like I did ( I upgraded to 3 " pvc because the stock elbow was not attached to the bracket well.)

You could leave the cross in the bottom, and use the snaps and bolt, or remove the cross. The "nipple" comming up from the base of the mounting bracket fits in the bottom of the cavalier air box, but you will need to remove the cross, and metal from the bottom of the cavalier air box.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock