Hyperfiber as seen in hotrod magazine? by dmcgreene
Started on: 06-20-2010 08:48 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: DIY_Stu on 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
dmcgreene

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2010 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
do yall think i couls use this "percys hyperfiber" to make a new console to go around my shifter and maybe integrate some cupholders and leave the ashtrays out?
here the website for the hyperfiber... i dont know how to do links but im sure yall know how to copy and paste.lol

http://www.percyshp.com/sto...yperfiber/cat_5.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2010 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
You could probably use it, but if you've got a manual shift car, you don't really have much room on the sides for cupholders. On an auto car you have more options, since the shifter assembly can be replaced with something smaller and moved over. But the manual cars are a bit of a pain because the shifter is designed to sit in the middle, and has to move in two directions.

If you do try to use it, be careful with flourescent or compact flourescent (energy saver) lighting. They both emit more UV than incandescent lighting, and might cause the material to set up early, since the resin seems to react to UV to cause the hardening.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
no pics on their site no examples on youtube or even google image search. Hard to imagine a final job.
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
Two things. Nothing comes close to doing a composite lay-up in a mold. There are no shortcuts when it comes to good looking and functioning Carbon Fiber or fiber glass parts. Second UV cure resin will brown A LOT over time. So if you made dash parts from this stuff you would need to put a few coats of a good automotive clear on it. By good I mean PPG, or DuPont non of this rattle can crap. Good Automotive clear has some good UV inhibitors in it. Looks like an expensive way to learn a good lesson about composites. Not knocking you just speaking form a few years of experience.

Curly
dmcgreene

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys. the reason im thinking of doing this is cuz im a senior in highschool and i have to complete a "graduation project" which is project that consists of a 6 page about three careers and then a project that has to to take over 15 hours. and my dads buddy has a body shop and im trying to find other stuff i could do besides repairing a craked quarter panel on my dads vette. also this project decides wether or not i graduate highschool even if i do have all my credits
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Saw them use this on Trucks! this morning. Looks like a useful product - probably good for ducting for those guys doing dash swaps.
HotRod review http://www.hotrod.com/techa..._material/index.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Fierosound! I'll have to pay attention to Trucks. I record the powerblock every Saturday and Just hit PLAY.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock