Started on: 05-21-2010 05:14 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 05-22-2010 10:55 AM
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
All I have is the cradle bushings in poly. Is it worth it to upgrade the control arms too? I cant justify shelling out 100 bucks on just bushings. I was looking at this kit. I have the cradle and dogbone bushings. IS IT WORTH IT? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...fPartsQ5fAccessories
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Rubber rots so whether or not you think it is worth it. How long do you plan on owning the cars as they will need replacing again before you know? If your replacing those chances are your engine mounts need replacing too as that won't move as much with decent mounts. I would forget rubber is even available it is such an inferior product.
White Spyder

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
YES ! all the way around.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I have Poly on everything..
Engine to cradle, cradle to chassis, and control arms, as well as sway bars.

First:
Control Arm Bushings.. The car is very stiff. You can feel the road more, and the ride can be a bit harsh on poor roads.
BUT... There is nothing like having 100% confidence in the car, knowing that where you point it, is where it's going to go, with no complaints, and no worries.

Cradle to Chassis: The rear-end feels tighter. When taking a corner, it does not feel like the car wants to wiggle anymore. Other than solid bushings, this is the best upgrade for your cradle mounting you can get...

Engine to Cradle: You feel the engine more. The car feels more coarse... It goes from being a fun drive with the sound of the engine behind you, to a "Holy **** , I'm riding a mountain lion down Pike's Peak"... You FEEL the growl of the engine, you get more vibration from the engine, but you also feel more connected to the car...

All three of these will take a car beyond the range of "Daily Driver" for most people, as it just adds a bit of harshness to the car..
For me, it was love at first bite.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
the 2 most important things to get poly'd/stiffened up are the cradle & the rear a-arms
the fronts are not as critical, since they dont have the engine power loaded thru them, and they are already held at 4 points, unlike the rear which is only held at 2 points. I myself prefer rubber up front.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Control arm? No. Use Moog etc... Rubber Rots? Poly is good? People has poly in 10 year? 20 year? Poly does not last better than rubber in most cases in this application. If poly does last, user better keep up maintenance. Polly needs more maintenance than rubber. Missing grease or grease were out, poly can go dead really fast.

Cradle, motor/trans mount? Yes. Poly works good in these applications.

See case. Bushings.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
i think its worth it.. i have full poly for my suspension, and mostly poly for my mounts.. It does make the ride harsher on bumpy roads, but you get used too it. But you do need to keep up with them more than rubber.. Make sure they have pleanty of grease. Which really isnt that big of a deal.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 05-21-2010).]

chrismclubm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Poly does not last better than rubber in most cases in this application. If poly does last, user better keep up maintenance. Polly needs more maintenance than rubber. Missing grease or grease were out, poly can go dead really fast.

very well said... who wants to maintain little things like that? It's hard enough remembering the last time you changed your motor oil. One last thing, go with rubber as opposed to poly.

------------------
For Fiero updates, visit: http://educatorstop15.com/fieropage.htm

[This message has been edited by chrismclubm (edited 05-21-2010).]

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
would it be possible to put zerg fittings on the cradle and control arms?
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

87antuzzi

11151 posts
Member since Feb 2009
Well, I just took the plunge. I bought the total polly kit.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
There's no need to install zerk fittings on the cradle bushings, since the cradle doesn't move (or at least, it isn't supposed to). Zerk fittings on the control arm bushings would be a great idea, though.

While I'm a fan of urethane suspension bushings, I don't like the urethane ball joint and tie rod boots. They don't fit very well. The original rubber ones are better, IMO.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:
While I'm a fan of urethane suspension bushings, I don't like the urethane ball joint and tie rod boots. They don't fit very well. The original rubber ones are better, IMO.

Yes! Rubber boots has Metal in top and bottom to made them seal. Much better seal.
And lube time? Use a small wire in top to release old grease. (Use 20ga wire.)
Some new (Moog i think some others) has top made so lube time is easy and work like a valve. Grease go thru easier, especially with any small screwdriver or copper wire, but water stays out.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
I love my Poly upgrade. I have a duke which vibrates more than the 2.8s so I opted for new rubber engine mounts but the cradle and suspension is all poly. The drivability imo is better than any car I have been in since my BMW 325i. You can feel the road a bit more but the KYB shocks I installed help a lot with immediate recovery. Like I said, I can feel the road more, but it is not at all uncomfortable. I love the way it handles now!
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
You only need to keep the suspension arm bushings lubricated, because those are the only ones where the polyurethane slides against the inner steel sleeve.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock