Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Harbor Freight Shop/Engine Crane $89!!!!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Harbor Freight Shop/Engine Crane $89!!!! by DLCLK87GT
Started on: 05-20-2010 01:58 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: 87antuzzi on 05-23-2010 12:31 AM
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
I know some of you think HF stuff is junk, and some of it may be but i got one of the 2 ton foldable shop cranes from them last year and LOVE it. I paid about $130+/- for it to pull my Fiero off the motor and it worked great. But here’s the thing, I was flipping through Mustang/Ford 5.0 magazine and like usual there’s a HF coupon page near the back with the same engine crane for $89! Wholly crap that is a deal and a half. If you’ve been thinking about getting one now would be the time, I’ve never seen one that cheep, EVER! Plus, if you get it at one of the stores you might be able to use the 20% off coupon too making the price about $73! You’re not supposed to combine coupons but usually the cashier doesn’t really care and will let you. I have nothing to do with HF, just letting you know.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
That is a good deal. I just use my old block and tackle from the garage rafter though. I love HF. I get lots of cheap tools there. If they break or get lost, I really dont care.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
I love HF. I get lots of cheap tools there. If they break or get lost, I really dont care.

Exactly. And if you keep your recept you can return just about anything without much fuss. I could probably go back there, make a stink and get the difference i paid versus this deal but i think the 120-ish was still cheep enough so i'm happy.

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
I love HF too. Sure most of there product are inferior, but their prices are ridiculously low, and you just can't beat that. Especially on those tools that you rarely use. I hate overpaying for a tool you use once.

Jim
Philero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post
Harbor Freight??? Oh, you mean Satan's Den #2 (#1 being Sportsman's Warehouse - which I just plopped down $60 at today buying more bass gear!)

I go in to those two stores looking for ONE simple thing, and walk out with 50 things and a much lighter wallet!

Don't get me wrong, I love those two stores... but they love me too! I am just sooo happy my better half loves the Fiero as much as she loves bass fishing!
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-20-2010 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
I think you're a hundred bucks shy on that price. I was just in HF today, and just checked again on their web site, but the 2 ton folding crane is $189, not $89. If there's a coupon for $100 off, that's definitely a rarity.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
lol its called China freaight... Ill admit i have gotten a lot of bad stuff from there but i have also gotten some really good stuff from there. The term a blind squirl runs into a nut every once and a while comes into play with HF. I will tell you this there plastic rivits suck in the cold but they sure as hell blow the fiero store out of the water in plastic rivit aplacator prices.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
Still can't get over the plastic rivets?
Philero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post
I say this... and maybe this could help. What have you personally purchased from HF that has worked well for you... and what has not lived up to it's word?

I will start.

POM riveter (what PK was taking about) (+)
6" Bench Buffer (+)
144 piece Dremel Kit - cheap, but sucks (-)

Just three that are in sight... more to follow (MUCH MORE) if this takes off.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Still can't get over the plastic rivets?

Would you please kindley go fist yourself. Honestley how childish can one person be.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I think you're a hundred bucks shy on that price. I was just in HF today, and just checked again on their web site, but the 2 ton folding crane is $189, not $89. If there's a coupon for $100 off, that's definitely a rarity.

I recently bought one from HF for $130 at its normal price. Its a good tool but its no good the way I want to use it. Time to break out the welder and make it the way I want it.
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philero:

I say this... and maybe this could help. What have you personally purchased from HF that has worked well for you... and what has not lived up to it's word?

I will start.

POM riveter (what PK was taking about) (+)
6" Bench Buffer (+)
144 piece Dremel Kit - cheap, but sucks (-)

Just three that are in sight... more to follow (MUCH MORE) if this takes off.

I'v heard good things about there powdercoating aplicator and i would pit one up but I dont want to use my own own kitchen oven to bake it.

I'v also heard good and bad things about there shop cranes One friend swears his life by his another friend's costed him a $1500 SR20 motor because the cylinder failed. I have been contemplating picking one up for some light duty things.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 05-20-2010).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
Would you please kindley go fist yourself. Honestley how childish can one person be.

Don't send another thread to the trashcan. I posted that expecting a response but not such a hostile one.
Philero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post
Good point PK, NEVER use your oven to bake the powder coating. It will be toxic after that point. (at least that is what I heard from someone in California, but then again, if you read the labels with anything containing lead, it states: "This product contain lead, a chemical known by the state of California to cause Cancer and Birth Defects and other reproductive harm" ) Thank GOD I don't live in California... so I am safe!!!!!!

Edit: Yeah, don't use your oven you cook in to bake your powder coating!!

[This message has been edited by Philero (edited 05-20-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Don't send another thread to the trashcan. I posted that expecting a response but not such a hostile one.

Knowing the history between you and I and you being the responsable older adult here , you shouldent have even posted somthing quoting me or asking me anything you know i dont take things laying down and you know i will tell you where to shove it back, so dont you send this to the trash can.
I'm done.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 05-20-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by Philero:

Good point PK, NEVER use your oven to bake the powder coating. It will be toxic after that point. (at least that is what I heard from someone in California, but then again, if you read the labels with anything containing lead, it states: "This product contain lead, a chemical known by the state of California to cause Cancer and Birth Defects and other reproductive harm" ) Thank GOD I don't live in California... so I am safe!!!!!!

Lol well with the way things are looking for LA im glad i dont live there either. I wouldent mind getting an oven to use in my garage to do some powdercoating but i have a guy who dose it professionaly and at a cheap price so why screw it up doing it myself.
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
recently purchased a 2 ton low profile floor jack that works great.

also recently purchased 4 2500lb capacity ratchet straps and the webbing is very thin and one already has a tear in it after one use.

------------------

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Genopsyde:

recently purchased a 2 ton low profile floor jack that works great.

also recently purchased 4 2500lb capacity ratchet straps and the webbing is very thin and one already has a tear in it after one use.

I would never trust any kind of ratchet strap from HF. We had to use a set back when i did sign work because sh*t freight was the only place that sold straps in the area. I dident lose my load because we had a good set of straps but the guy i was convoying with lost a $40K sign.
DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroDirect Link to This Post
I'll give my list:

18v cordless drill = multiple minuses lasted about 6 months before it wouldn't hold a charge
2 ton low profile floor jack = ++ (of course I use 4 jack stands since I never trust a jack)
box end wrench set = Negative - they broke way to easy
7" Bridge tile saw = ++++++++ worked beyond expectations plus I got 20% off sale price, saved $140 but paid for extened warranty, it is HF afterall.
rock tumbler = negative (belt breaks constantly)

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanFiero (edited 05-20-2010).]

Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
I would never trust any kind of ratchet strap from HF. We had to use a set back when i did sign work because sh*t freight was the only place that sold straps in the area. I dident lose my load because we had a good set of straps but the guy i was convoying with lost a $40K sign.

yea, the only reason I got them was because I lent 2 of my 4 good ones out and haven't gotten them back yet. Funny thing, is I bought the good ones at Walmart.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

yea, the only reason I got them was because I lent 2 of my 4 good ones out and haven't gotten them back yet. Funny thing, is I bought the good ones at Walmart.

Lol wratchet straps are wratchet straps but harbor freight ones just suck IMO. The ones i usualy used on my truck were tractor trailer rated ones so they could hold down anything.
PFF
System Bot
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
that's what I need, I use them when trailering my car to the drag strip.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

that's what I need, I use them when trailering my car to the drag strip.

Ill see if i can find a place that sell them for you. Be warens though the straps are redickilousley long (as to clear a trailer and a huge load) but other than that I'v hauled 10K lbs+ with no problems with thoes straps.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 05-21-2010).]

TKDchamp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKDchampSend a Private Message to TKDchampDirect Link to This Post
My wife and I love HF. Sometimes on Friday nights, when my mom is watching our baby, we'll drive up to Jacksonville (about 40 mins away) just to walk around and buy random crap from HF. Their tools are hit or miss. I have a MIG welder that is about 6 years old. It's been through a lambo build, a CJ7 restoration, two trailers and ton of other random builds. It's still going stong! I also had a saws-all that lasted about 3 inches before locking up. When I was cleaning my garage last week I learned that I have way to many packages of black zip ties from HF. I must buy a package every time I'm there ( I need it or not).
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TKDchamp:

My wife and I love HF. Sometimes on Friday nights, when my mom is watching our baby, we'll drive up to Jacksonville (about 40 mins away) just to walk around and buy random crap from HF. Their tools are hit or miss. I have a MIG welder that is about 6 years old. It's been through a lambo build, a CJ7 restoration, two trailers and ton of other random builds. It's still going stong! I also had a saws-all that lasted about 3 inches before locking up. When I was cleaning my garage last week I learned that I have way to many packages of black zip ties from HF. I must buy a package every time I'm there ( I need it or not).

There sockets scare me. I had a real close call with one one time. I was really torquing on something. Somthing my craftsman sockets wouldent have royaly screwed me on but this one did. I was holding the socket with my left hand around the thing (deep socket) and next thing you know the socket snaps on me.. Chunked my hand pretty good to but its all still there. I do love there double end wratchets though.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
I cant find my thread. The harbor freight racing jack almost killed me and shot a piece of metal into my let. But their smoking deals keep pulling me back (i bought some 6 ton jackstands from them). All my sockets and ratchets are craftsman and husky.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

87antuzzi

11151 posts
Member since Feb 2009
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

I know some of you think HF stuff is junk, and some of it may be but i got one of the 2 ton foldable shop cranes from them last year and LOVE it. I paid about $130+/- for it to pull my Fiero off the motor and it worked great. But here’s the thing, I was flipping through Mustang/Ford 5.0 magazine and like usual there’s a HF coupon page near the back with the same engine crane for $89! Wholly crap that is a deal and a half. If you’ve been thinking about getting one now would be the time, I’ve never seen one that cheep, EVER! Plus, if you get it at one of the stores you might be able to use the 20% off coupon too making the price about $73! You’re not supposed to combine coupons but usually the cashier doesn’t really care and will let you. I have nothing to do with HF, just letting you know.

what does the magazine cover look like? im gonna go get this asap so i can drop my cradle this weekend. just so ill have something to do :P and the pallets too.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
It’s 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords magazine and on the July cover is a black convertible Saleen Mustang under a huge 5.0. (paste and copy to browser for pix)
http://www.zinio.com/browse...7044&rf=acom50&pss=1

And it WAS $89 NOT $189 for the foldable shop crane and like i said, try to use the standard 20% off coupon on top of it. MIght work, might not. Also i think the coupon was for a limited time so if you're going to go get one, don't wait. I’ve got one of those racing jacks too and only use it on my Fiero and my sons Focus. I use my heavy duty jack for real cars
Jack Stands ++
Air Comp regulator (green) - blew up @ 120PSI, rated @ 150
Air Comp regulator (red) +
Air Comp dirt/dust filter +
Air tools ++++
powdercoater ? just got it
Shop Crane obviously ++
Sump Pump +
Spray Guns ?
I could go on and on but wont.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ive got several paint guns that still work just fine.
A $2.00 hammer is as good as any other that costs 10 times as much.
I needed a BIG rivet gun to set a few door handle rivets. Only time Ive needed one I can ever remember. Lowest store cost for one was like $180. HF was $20 and now I dont even know where it is, might have thrown it away after just using it the once.
Cordless drills have all been crap though, as have drill bits.
Im still using air ratchets and impacts I bought there 20 yrs ago
Same with my big floor jack. It loses pressure slowly but I always use jack stands.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-21-2010 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

I recently bought one from HF for $130 at its normal price. Its a good tool but its no good the way I want to use it. Time to break out the welder and make it the way I want it.

The 1 ton foldable crane is about $130 for normal price. The normal price for the 2 ton foldable crane is $229.
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
I gave my HF engine hoist a workout the other day. A straight 8 Packard with an R11 OD tranny attached is 5 ft 4 in long and weighs a touch over 1100 lbs.
My HF hoist with the optional load leveler slid that sucker right into my car
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
if any one is looking for the magazine, its this issue, on page 141.

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Its also in "DRIVE"

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock