Rotten Fiero by FieroAngel
Started on: 05-18-2010 09:47 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: PS87GT on 06-17-2010 12:58 AM
FieroAngel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAngelSend a Private Message to FieroAngelDirect Link to This Post
That is the only way to describe the latest fiero we have picked up. Matt got if off a guy on here and we went and picked it up Sunday. Its a parts car cause its possibly the most rusted car, not just fiero, but car I have ever seen. It is an 88GT and it looks pretty good on the outside and the interior is decent too. But the rust is so bad the cradle actually broke off from the cradle mounts. Anyways here's some pics of the rust.

First the car on the outside

Now the rust

Had to strap the trailing arm to the frame to get it to roll onto the trailer

Angie
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rck152

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rck152Send a Private Message to Rck152Direct Link to This Post
yeowch that is a real waste.
watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
OK... your rust ^^^^
vs. our rust.... //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/081017.html

You win.
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Yikes!! That one will need to get parted out. Of course to us desert dwellers, ANY rust is a dealbreaker. The sad part is 100% rust free chassis from here get crushed every day.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

Yikes!! That one will need to get parted out. Of course to us desert dwellers, ANY rust is a dealbreaker. The sad part is 100% rust free chassis from here get crushed every day.

That truly is a crime. Some should tell the idiots that us northerners are begging for rust free chassis!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post
aw thats not rust havent u seen my post lol!!!! my car is ten percent metal 90 percent rust!!! well it was anyway now its 50 percent bad weld and scrap sheetmetal and 50 percent rust!
crazyd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Flood victim?
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post
Yeah I looked at a '86 gt a few days ago and the real mounts for the cradle to the body were completely gone and caved in. Bad thing was the guys kid recently drove the thing on the road.

That somehow looks worse.
Philero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post
OMG, how do the people in the states that use salt on the roads in winter keep their cars from rotting out from under them?

I used to live on an island in the Pacific NW and had to be sure to wash the underside of my car weekly, but even the salt content from there does not appear to be anything like what they endure! I understand the reason why they salt the roads, but WOW!

I guess they look at the lesser of two evils there... keep the roads clear for safety, and replace your car every five or so years I guess.
Spaxspore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpaxsporeSend a Private Message to SpaxsporeDirect Link to This Post
preventive maintenance always helped, i under coated my 04 caviler with Zero RUST sealant right when i got it (luckily it was gently used by the previous owner).

My indy had trunk damage due to rust when i bought it; however but the frame was fine, used fiberglass to fill in the truck corners then under coated . Washing underneath helps some.

Many people dont even bother and years after years of salt and nasties.. and it will eat a car up in no time.

[This message has been edited by Spaxspore (edited 05-19-2010).]

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

Here's a really sad story - the mega pull had 13 Fiero's - all 84's and 85's but they were all in pristine - no rust - condition. I spent the last few months picking at them getting all the pieces and parts that I could cause I knew it would not be long before they went to the crusher. They were clear in the back of the yard behind a couple of trailers full of scrap. I took a walk out there a few weeks back and they are all gone! They would have made great chassis for a rebuild. I should have grabbed a couple of them when I had the chance. Makes me ill cause there were a few 4 spd's still bolted in and good suspension parts left to strip.
PFF
System Bot
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
Yes this fiero was by far the worst chassis ive purchased, and me and MRJ have had a few that were real bad, id honestly say that some of the wrecked ones i purchased would have been easier to repair (including a 40MPH wreck into a tree) This was the 46th fiero that ive brought home, probably wont be the last, but ive slowed down alot, in the first 6 years i collected fiero's i was bringing home 5-7 a year, the last 4 years has only brought home about 3 of them, a 88 coupe, 88GT and 84 indy.

getting this car onto the trailer was interesting even using an electric winch.

i knew the car was rusty before i purchased it and i felt i got a good deal on it, and the previous owner was happy to get it outta his yard.

it was approx 3.5 hours round trip to pick the car up and bring it home.

the fastback clip is spoken for, i think the steering wheel and seats will be spoken for, but the rest of the car will be parted out, front bumper has a tear, drivers fender is damaged, but everything else seems to be ok, it has a rusty, but solid rear swaybar also (all surface rust on the swaybar from what i can see, infact its what is mostly holding the wheels/suspension in place) motor will be parted out because i dont know its condition, all the ground effects, the doors with power options, it will all be sold.

matthew

[This message has been edited by m0sh_man (edited 05-19-2010).]

Rck152

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rck152Send a Private Message to Rck152Direct Link to This Post
just a bump FEEDING FRENZY!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.

------------------
Robb.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's A Pontiac thing What else Can I say??????
1985 Fiero GT
1998 Sunfire Turbocharged
1996 Grand Prix

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
My car was lucky and sat for most of it's life. Hasn't seen a salty road since 1993 (I bought it in 03 and haven't driven it in the winter), maybe earlier if the PO didn't drive it in the winter.

[This message has been edited by fastblack (edited 05-20-2010).]

m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
finally started taking the car apart...... well, CUTTING the car apart....

only ONE cradle mount was still remotely in tact, the bolt on the passenger front of the cradle is still there, the cradle has some cracks in the mounting area due to rust, but its still pretty solid, not usable by any means even if the rest of the cradle was good.

ill attempt to take more photo's as i go, but they may just be weekly updates.

matthew

Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post
You call THAT rust? THIS is rust!

On the bright-side, the body looks to be in pretty good shape. Jealous of the rims.
Iron_Mark_2003

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Iron_Mark_2003Send a Private Message to Iron_Mark_2003Direct Link to This Post
The body panels do look to be in great shape. The tail lights look remarkably good as well, considering the condition of the rest of the car.

And it could be the pictures that are throwing me off, but the quarter windows don't even look like they have any cracks. If those are original, that is amazing!

[This message has been edited by Iron_Mark_2003 (edited 06-16-2010).]

m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Iron_Mark_2003:

The body panels do look to be in great shape. The tail lights look remarkably good as well, considering the condition of the rest of the car.

And it could be the pictures that are throwing me off, but the quarter windows don't even look like they have any cracks. If those are original, that is amazing!

they are originals, and although they have NO big cracks, they are covered in spider cracking and seem to be very brittle, ive got the clip removed now and im really surprised that the windows didnt break off.

matthew

Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
ouch!
PS87GT

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PS87GTSend a Private Message to PS87GTDirect Link to This Post
If your parting this out, I'm looking to upgrade my 86GT's headlight motors.
Do the motors work? What would you want for both motors,front headlight wiring harness, and
the control module under the fender?

Thanks,
Rick

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock