Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Looking for somebody with a Solstice or Sky in central CA.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Looking for somebody with a Solstice or Sky in central CA. by Rickady88GT
Started on: 05-12-2010 06:58 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 05-19-2010 02:38 PM
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2010 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I know there are a few people that have a Solstice or Sky but I cant remember who they are?
I have a Fiero related project but need some info on the KAPA.
Thanks, Rick

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 05-12-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2010 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
I have an 07 GXP. What are you looking for? Do you need to see it in person?
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2010 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
My wife has a 2007 SKY Red Line.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2010 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I don't have to have the car in person, all I need is some detailed dimensions with the right or left side wheels removed. If the car were here I could get a hands on kind of feel for it, but I will take any and all pics of the suspension, front and rear with the wheels off as you can get. AND as detailed as possible measurements of the suspension pinnings as possible.
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Depending on how soon you need then, I am painting my calipers the next free day that I get. I can get some pics and measurements then. Let me know what you need.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
OK, the measurements that I need are for ALL of the suspension mounting points.

I want to put this in a Fiero. I have the entire suspension and brake system but I don't have any of the chassis mounting points.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Rick will probably also need the angles of things. So if whoever does this can borrow an angle finder, I'm sure it would be helpful.
Rick: I'm glad to see you pursuing this idea, I hope you make it out-handle the rare '88-only stuff, because I'm still not having any luck getting the '88 cradle and rear suspension for my '84, and I know that there's lots of room for improvement at the front of even the '88s, so I'm not even looking for '88 front suspension.
I hope you find a pre-88 cradle to butcher for the Kappa suspension.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 05-13-2010).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
That is a VERY good point. I have a digital angle finder and use it all the time. So if anyone could help me out on this drop me an email for more details.
fierov8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierov8Click Here to visit fierov8's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierov8Direct Link to This Post
Rick,

While not on a Fiero -- I rrecently did an exercise very similar to what you are trying to do....

You really don't need too many measurements off of the donor car. What you do want to do is something along the lines of this....note that this won't initially need your car:

* Set cradle at ride height (I fibbed -- base THIS measurement off of a Fiero -- note any angle to the cradle front-to-rear
* Select the wheel/tire combo you want to use -- measure center of wheel at ride height
* Wheel/tire will set where the spindle wants to be.
* Set lower "A" arm to be parallel to the ground -- note where your inner pivot points will want to be for the arm.
* NOTE: for this initial measurement, you will want to know what the angle is for the upper "A" arm -- inboard/outboard angle as well as front/rear
- Set position of upper "A" arm based off >initial< measurements of donor.

Once you have all of the above done, you'll need some way to create a fixture to hold these mount points, as well as capure the toe link and upper shock mount point. Make sure you have the axle connected between the powertrain and suspension. Next, remove the spring and the wheel/tire. With your spindle set at ride height, run the suspension through its desired range of travel and note how your camber and toe change. You will need to adjust your suspension mounting points to optimize camber and toe throughout the range of travel.

My post-Fiero project car is a TVR. I built a custom frame for the car because I wanted to install an LT4/T56 and Corvette running gear. The rear suspension had to be narrowed 3" per side because the car is tiny -- that change forced me to have to find all new suspension mounting points in order to minimize toe and optimize camber change over the range of travel.

Engine swaps are relatively easy compared to doing suspension work such as this!

I didn't address any issues whether this will all actually fit under a stock car -- I hear there are widebody kits to address that (and custom wheels as well)

Last concern if it were me doing the work would be where that upper "A" arm is going to mount to -- you will need to create some pretty beefy mounts to hold it. Not sure where it makes the most sense to build that off of.

You want to do all this initial work on a chassis table/work area outside of the car so you can see how it all needs to go together. Once you figure that all out, it is then easier to focus on how it will all package inside of the car.

Ambitious project -- best of luck with it!!! Drop me a PM if you have any questions.......

-jeff d
Fort Worth, TX
1986 Fiero GT/V8
1973 TVR 2500M
1977 Puma GTE
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I would do exactly what you recommend, IF I knew the what the caster, camber and toe are supposed to be thru the entire range of motion. Is it supposed to be the same throughout? or is there a change as the suspension bottoms out?
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
good suspensions for cornering tend to go more negative on the camber as the suspension compresses, to compensate for chassis roll.
PFF
System Bot
gldkarma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gldkarmaSend a Private Message to gldkarmaDirect Link to This Post
Rick--Claude and Kathleen Turner in the Bay Area have a Solstice, but they don't read the Forum.

JC
Black Lotus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black LotusSend a Private Message to Black LotusDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if Colin Chapman started out like this?
I doubt it.
You guys are scaring me.
I really suggest you buy a program like this, then make your own mounting points per the new geometry requirements of YOUR Fiero.
http://performancetrends.com/SuspAnzr.htm
Wouldn't hurt to buy a book on suspension design as well, to find out what those geometry requirements will be.
http://www.amazon.com/Race-...s-R146/dp/1560915269
Or you could just slap on some bracket locations from a front engined car on to a tail heavy mid engines car and wing it.
Hoo Yaa!
Good luck in any case.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the links, That is what I need. I could use it for my 4 link jeep setup too. But $400 wow.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The centroid axis inclination of the Fiero weight distribution is going to be exactly opposite that of the Kappa. Thus putting Kappa suspension on a Fiero will NOT make the Fiero handle like a Sky Redline.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

But $400 wow.

maybe Google books has it?
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Weight distribution is a matter of springs, shocks and roll bars. A suspension will serve well enough if it is strong enough, since the main point is to keep the tires always perpendicular to the road. Angling the front lower arms for good anti-dive applies the same wherever you put the weight in the vehicle. And that's just one example.
I see nothing dangerous about what Rick is hoping to accomplish. If my funds permitted, I might be trying this right along with him.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

The centroid axis inclination of the Fiero weight distribution is going to be exactly opposite that of the Kappa. Thus putting Kappa suspension on a Fiero will NOT make the Fiero handle like a Sky Redline.

I understand what you are saying. If I had all the KAPPA specs and the program I could input the Fiero specs. Then with the "optimum" desired specs I could come up with a better suspension, IF that were my goal

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Either way, Ricks doing another project--gotta save this as a favorite.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Either way, Ricks doing another project--gotta save this as a favorite.

No more crazy wheel off sets or wheel spacers to fill wide bodies and kit fenders The Solstice suspension is at least three inches wider than the Fiero and can have 305's in the rear with no problems. I think the fronts can go to 255's?

There are MANY reasons to go with a setup like this, but for me it is about something different and cool looking.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock