Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Some scrap steel, a bit of tubing, a welder and.........Strut Tower brace!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Some scrap steel, a bit of tubing, a welder and.........Strut Tower brace! by White Spyder
Started on: 05-12-2010 03:34 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: css9450 on 07-11-2010 08:55 PM
White Spyder

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2010 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
I had an idea for something a bit different than what is out there.....
It's electrically charged!

All integrated and tied together. Even set up for a deck lid strut to be attached. Gusseted for extra strength.

This thing is beefy. Just needs some paint and installation!

Now the issue is that the paint I used for the accent color in the Stroker has been discontinued I found some that won't ship until next week. I'll post more photos when it is installed.

If there is any one interested in buying one let me know. Now that the prototype is done and saved in the computer they can be turned out quickly.

Got some photos of the brace painted and installed:

[This message has been edited by White Spyder (edited 05-24-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hinesb1890

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2010 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post
Spiffy! do you have a price range?

------------------

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2010 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
And what years will they fit?
White Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2010 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
Mine is an '88 but it can be modified to fit any year. I might need some measurements. I am thinking 100-120 plus shipping for one that is unpainted.
hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2010 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post
ahh I wish I could justify buying it right now, whether they add to handling or not I like how they look. I'll definitely keep you in mind though as long as you're making them a few months from now. nice touch with the strut brackets too!

------------------

White Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
I'm traveling in Texas and found my paint!!! I should have it painted and install this weekend!
White Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
Can't fly with spray paint, checked or carry on I mailed them home and will see them by Tuesday.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Very nice fabrication work but I have serious doubts that the strut towers need any additional support. I guess this topic will continue being debated as there are guys that swear by them while others swear at them.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Very nice fabrication work but I have serious doubts that the strut towers need any additional support. I guess this topic will continue being debated as there are guys that swear by them while others swear at them.

That really has been a serious debate over the years. I don't really know how you would check the flex of that area as opposed to flex with the strut brace installed. I will say that it is very nice work and looks like my Darrell Morse style brace.
Rck152

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rck152Send a Private Message to Rck152Direct Link to This Post
bump for a kewl idea.

------------------
Robb.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's A Pontiac thing What else Can I say??????
1985 Fiero GT
1998 Sunfire Turbocharged
1996 Grand Prix

White Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
Added photos of it installed.
PFF
System Bot
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

That really has been a serious debate over the years. I don't really know how you would check the flex of that area as opposed to flex with the strut brace installed. I will say that it is very nice work and looks like my Darrell Morse style brace.

I agree the Fiero has one built in, front wheel drive cars do not have that option. Nice work it looks cool.

gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post
WOW!!, I love the paint nice!
I'd still be up for one for my 88 Coupe, it's not a V6 but I'm taking the airclear housing off and doing a custom setup.
White Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
O.K. They will be $142.00 Shipped. That is unpainted. Let me know if your interested.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Very nice fabrication work but I have serious doubts that the strut towers need any additional support.

True... It looks cool, but it's hard to imagine it does anything when it's a couple of inches away from the built-in brace.
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
What about adjustability??

Darrel's has threaded adjusters on both ends.
I'm assuming this is to accomodate variations
in strut tower width from car to car.

Perhaps you could slot your holes oblong to
counter variances from car to car regarding width?

Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 05-26-2010).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

What about adjustability??

Darrel's has threaded adjusters on both ends.
I'm assuming this is to accomodate variations
in strut tower width from car to car.

Perhaps you could slot your holes oblong to
counter variances from car to car regarding width?

Kit

I'll tell you something, he obviously is a serious craftsman so adding the threaded eyelets on either end should be no problem. I won PFF member "Oslos" Darrell Morse strut tower brace a long time ago on Ebay and I was bidding against people who bid more than $300.00 for it. I paid a little over the top price but I was very happy with the brand new product so if you can reproduce these for a good price, go for it

White Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I'll tell you something, he obviously is a serious craftsman so adding the threaded eyelets on either end should be no problem. I won PFF member "Oslos" Darrell Morse strut tower brace a long time ago on Ebay and I was bidding against people who bid more than $300.00 for it. I paid a little over the top price but I was very happy with the brand new product so if you can reproduce these for a good price, go for it

Wish I could take all the credit but it is a friend of mine that is the true craftsman. He has the tools and helped me along. When we started this I was thinking my car but with the ability to produce these at a low cost I asked if he was interested in doing some for sale to others who might be interested.

We have not though about variations between cars so the idea of slotting the mounting holes is a good one. Thanks. As to making the ends adjustable, that can be done but would run up the cost and final price. How much? I'll check it out and let every one know. The biggest challenge on this one was clearance of the deck lid.

We are also looking at making sway bars.

[This message has been edited by White Spyder (edited 05-27-2010).]

starlightcoupe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

I agree the Fiero has one built in, front wheel drive cars do not have that option. Nice work it looks cool.

I saw some front wheel drive cars in a junk yard yesterday with shock tower braces. I seriously considered them because they seem very rugged and functional for the Fiero but they are not very pretty. I believe they were on big Buick and Pontiac cars with 3800 engines. Frankly, I think a custom $142 strut is a great bargain.

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Bump for a great new product......
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by starlightcoupe:

I saw some front wheel drive cars in a junk yard yesterday with shock tower braces. I seriously considered them because they seem very rugged and functional for the Fiero but they are not very pretty. I believe they were on big Buick and Pontiac cars with 3800 engines. Frankly, I think a custom $142 strut is a great bargain.

Yep our big Impala has one too.

Some older Cavaliers and Sunbirds have them too (Z24s and convertibles, mostly) but they aren't a direct fit into the Fiero either.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock