Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  How much rain is behind your seats? (a sunroof dread-thread)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How much rain is behind your seats? (a sunroof dread-thread) by grkboy707
Started on: 03-13-2010 04:57 PM
Replies: 29
Last post by: Australian on 05-24-2010 06:37 AM
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Well today, I noticed a record amount of water behind my driver side seat, and headliner too. It rose about an inch or so of standing water. I thought I fixed the problem, but I guess the spacer either fell out or the latch broke. Hopefully, my new plan will work.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
po po, not good,
silipitiria...wanna buy some goldfish?

check the sunroof weatherstrip too for any dry rot or swelling..may need replacement.

------------------
1985 RED & SILVER CUSTOM GT 2.8 V6...IT LOOKS NICE!

18" x 8" Original Roja's, 225-40-ZR18's up front, 265-35-ZR18's rears, Aerospeed adjustable coil-overs, KYB shocks, dropped 2"+, K&N filters, Holley side scoop, upgraded front & rear sway bars with poly, fully loaded, original paint!...and dreaming of a fierce 3800SC swap!

psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
I swapped out the sunroof on my DD for a solid roof because of the same issue. (it is now part of the wife's chopped GT; TBA soon for those who have not yet seen it). On an unrelated note, it will be in her newest music video which will be posted as soon as we are "allowed" to release it.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
none

------------------

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I found out about the leak in my 87 in a very unplesent way. Before it was painted i was driving to my ex's house and it was raining heavley out. It was one of thoes freezing cold rains that is a PITA. So im comming up on a traffic light that went straight to red because of an emergency vehiclal. I slamed on my brakes and i had only a tshirt on. I had a huge load of rain water fall in straight down my back and into an area that i dont want to talk about. Needless to say we dident have a very good date that night.
N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I found out about the leak in my 87 in a very unplesent way. Before it was painted i was driving to my ex's house and it was raining heavley out. It was one of thoes freezing cold rains that is a PITA. So im comming up on a traffic light that went straight to red because of an emergency vehiclal. I slamed on my brakes and i had only a tshirt on. I had a huge load of rain water fall in straight down my back and into an area that i dont want to talk about. Needless to say we dident have a very good date that night.

Maybe that's the car's way of saying "No, don't pick her up. Bad Rick."
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

Maybe that's the car's way of saying "No, don't pick her up. Bad Rick."

Shes the only girl i would ever call the "C" word. Im glad shes gone.

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
When I got my Fiero it leaked water quite a bit, and I could hear the water splashing around over my head, but since I got a new weatherstrip seal for it and drill the 4 holes (very important step), it hasn't leaked a drip since. Now in my case, It is a requirement to have a sunroof because I need the extra headroom being 6' 5", I can't comfortably drive a Fiero without one, my head is into the headliner.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

none

Same here.

I can drive in the rain with my sunroof open and water does not enter the car.
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by psychosurfer:

I swapped out the sunroof on my DD for a solid roof because of the same issue. (it is now part of the wife's chopped GT; TBA soon for those who have not yet seen it). On an unrelated note, it will be in her newest music video which will be posted as soon as we are "allowed" to release it.

If my fix doesn't do it, I also want to do this. Actually, I want to do it anyway. How hard was it to do? How much did it cost?
FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/107134.html

just some info on the holes you drill to possibly fix the leak. This was posted in my thread about my sunroof leak, as well.

PFF
System Bot
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FirstDrCar:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/107134.html

just some info on the holes you drill to possibly fix the leak. This was posted in my thread about my sunroof leak, as well.

Already done. That was my first sunroof fix. I'm now on my 7th or 8th, and I'm simply fed up with my sunroof. Everytime it rains, I have to worry about it, check it in the morning, and more than likely, set up a fan behind the seat.
FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

Already done. That was my first sunroof fix. I'm now on my 7th or 8th, and I'm simply fed up with my sunroof. Everytime it rains, I have to worry about it, check it in the morning, and more than likely, set up a fan behind the seat.

Have you ever replaced the rubber seals or the tracks? Anyone else have any suggestions?
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Done. When the rain lets up, I'm gonna put spacers in the latch. It's designed similar to a seesaw(go GM!), and I'll probably put silicone on the glass.
Eclipse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Too much! My car leaks like a sieve. (sp?)

------------------
Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival. - W. Edwards Deming

Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association and the Ontario Pontiac Club

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
GOOD NEWS!!!
My idea worked! The sunroof is extraordinarily tight. I made a diagram of what I did. Its pretty straight forward- I drilled 3 holes through everything. On the diagram, everything is color coded- Red is labeling an object, green shows problems and solutions, blue shows mods, and orange shows how happy I was.

Enjoy! Good luck with your sunroof! (If you need anymore pics, I'll actually take pictures, but this is a good representation of the fix)
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Relatively bad news. Today, its 75 and shining outside, so of course I put the sunroof up. Usually, if I realize how nice the weather is before hand, I'll take out the sunroof, etc. However, if I dont notice by the time I start the car, I just hinge it up. Now here's where the problem is. It doesn't "lock in" when you set it up on the latch. Not a problem for me, because I highly prefer it being totally out, but its just something to consider.
amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerDirect Link to This Post
Your problem is that you need to check the service bulliten for the vista vent window for Fieros. I have done 6 Fieros and none of them leak at all now. Any other fix will fail over time! I know from experience!

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car
President of Maryland Fiero Owners Club MFOC

Copper85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Copper85GTSend a Private Message to Copper85GTDirect Link to This Post
I had an '85 Shelby Charger with the same type of drain that came from the factory. Each corner had a hole in it with a tube that ran to the bottom of the car. Never had a water problem.

With this fix, is it assumed that the water will just travel down the pillars and not enter the cockpit without the aid of tubing?
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by amflyer:

Your problem is that you need to check the service bulliten for the vista vent window for Fieros. I have done 6 Fieros and none of them leak at all now. Any other fix will fail over time! I know from experience!

I did that, but the problem was a visible gap between the glass and seal. Towards the middle, the gap was huge.
livinwithmydog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for livinwithmydogSend a Private Message to livinwithmydogDirect Link to This Post
grkboy - I have the same gap in the middle. BUCKETS of water in my lap/down my back during my first car wash - over and over and over at each new sprayer - but I was stuck in the middle of a mechanized car wash and what could I do but wait out each deluge? Horrible. What did you use as a "spacer" in front? Does the screw/bolt up through the roof in the back actually stick up above the roof on the outside? If so, how did you seal that?
PFF
System Bot
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
maybe i'm lucky? i have no leaks in my 86 coupe thathas 179k miles on it. i've left my sunroof OPEN during rainstorms and not a single drop went inside ( it was parked outside )
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Livinwithmydog- If you go to a hardware store, loo around near the washers. What I used essentially looks like an empty toiletpaper paper roll, scaled down. I don't know if its actually called a "spacer", but that seemed to fit the description pretty well.

If you were to take piece of 1/8" steel and bend it around a pen, you would get what you need. I don't know if that helps you figure it out or not. Just think about it this way: you need a space inbetween the roof and the back of the latch. The hardware to do that must be able to fit around the screw, and be wide enough to displace the pressure around the roof and latch.

This is the best picture I was able to find. You will also need to grind down the side that will touch the latch, to match the angle. This all takes a lot of trial and error, to get the correct size, and to get the angle. I hope this helps. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by grkboy707 (edited 05-23-2010).]

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Your problem is it could be leaking around the rivets for the tracks. They do rust away after more than two decades out in the elements. Another source of leaks is probably arouny the studs where the front of the clip bolts down the rear clip. Either way you'll have to remove the headliner since it got wet you might as well replace the fabric with FieroThomas's headliner kit.

If you need help just let me know by dropping a pm in my bin. You can bring come over very early in the morning and have done by noon. By a tube of white gutter caulking and the headliner kit and I will install for you.

Plus I have an 84 short shifter that I have for sale $20 and will installing for you. It will accepta Fiero knob, the threads are the same as a regular manual shifter.

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 05-23-2010).]

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daredevil05:

Your problem is it could be leaking around the rivets for the tracks. They do rust away after more than two decades out in the elements. Another source of leaks is probably arouny the studs where the front of the clip bolts down the rear clip. Either way you'll have to remove the headliner since it got wet you might as well replace the fabric with FieroThomas's headliner kit.

If you need help just let me know by dropping a pm in my bin. You can bring come over very early in the morning and have done by noon. By a tube of white gutter caulking and the headliner kit and I will install for you.

Plus I have an 84 short shifter that I have for sale $20 and will installing for you. It will accepta Fiero knob, the threads are the same as a regular manual shifter.

Its not that in either cases. We both have/had a visible gap that water clearly went through. About that knob though.. Where do you live (approx)? I may be interested in one in late June. The only reason so late is that I'm going to be testing out someones, to see if I like the feel.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
I had the same problem with my 88. I just made a shim to go between the catch and the roof so that it stood just that bit lower and pulled down that bit more. I found that it wold still leak unless the glass is dead center in the rubber seal (it's a new seal too) but as long as it's central it is fine.
The only other place water can get into the car from the roof is through the bolt holes used to secure the front roof (one in each front corner) and rear clip (three along the back) and the bolts that go up into the weather seal tracks (6 or so I think). Provided you put a good dollop of RTV in the holes and on the bolts of any you remove it should not leak. The rivets that hold the seal tracks to the roof don;t go into the car so even if they rust out the water is only go onto the inner metal roof from where it will just run off, same as the water from the drain holes in the corners.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Thats basically the same concept. Either way seems like it works.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post05-23-2010 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Mine leaks from where the latch is, but only in a carwash. Normal rain its solid.

But, its getting replaced with a hardtop, don't really like sunroofs and the troubles they are.
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Ever since I did this mod, I haven't even worrried about water. The sunroof is nearly flush with the roof.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I am guessing that the rubber has compressed. So when closed there is not enough pressure to close it water tight. If the previous modification i noticed works great if not i think replacing the rubber would be the only real fix.

It only take a little dirt or a leaf to cause a leak i have seen a few sunroofs fixed with a good clean in my time selling cars.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 05-24-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock