Started on: 02-27-2010 03:00 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: fierosound on 06-30-2010 01:34 AM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I posted this in the tech section but it may have not been the correct place to ask. This one may be straight forward so here goes.

I was told that American Indys were shipped with all black switches for lights switches, defrost, etc. whilst Canadian Indys had the grey and black switches. Could it be that Indys got both types? I was under the impression that all 84s came with black switches and the grays werent used until 85?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I was not aware of any 84s that came with gray (or as the Canadians say grey) switches.

By the way I have not been able to find NOS or reproduction black switches anywhere. The best black ones I can find are not good enough for my tastes.

Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I cannot answer your question directly, but every '84 I've seen has had black switches. It's possible that some '84 cars may have received a grey and black switch. The same switch also was used on a lot of cars in the 80's including nearly every Oldsmobile, Buick Skyhawk, a couple of Jeeps, and some GM school buses and trucks. I've seen light blue and dark blue variations (non-Fiero) floating around as well.

The grey and black switch will be the most common you see, as it was produced in the largest numbers.

I actually pulled my black switch from my '84 Fiero and put it in my '88 Formula. I liked it in there a lot better.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 02-27-2010).]

amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerDirect Link to This Post
As far as I know they all came with black switches. At the 25th there was about twenty of us together and we were comparing the cars. Mine had the window and the mirror control switches in gray. Further checking with the paperwork I recieved from the origional owner showed that they had a problem with these switches and replaced them in early 1987 at the dealership. That is how mine had gray put into it. I have paid a rediculos price for NOS black ones to replace my Indy switches to bring it back to true factory stock.

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car
President of Maryland Fiero Owners Club MFOC

85_Fiero_2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 85_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post
The 84s had black headlight switches and the 85-88s were black and grey.

I have a new one in box from general motors somewhere in my drawer of fiero things. Maybe someday I'll have an indy to go with it.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by amflyer:

I have paid a rediculos price for NOS black ones to replace my Indy switches to bring it back to true factory stock.

The only way to get black is to get lucky and find some NOS ones for cheap or pay a fortune for some where the person knows how rare they are.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Never seen stock gray switches in an 84. I converted my 84 to all gray switches, because I couldn't find any black ones. They pop up on eBay once in a while, but I've never seen new black trunk release or rear defrost switches.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by amflyer:

I have paid a rediculos price for NOS black ones to replace my Indy switches to bring it back to true factory stock.

How much is "rediculos"? I have about 6 of them NOS in a box

------------------
Factory Stock
The way God intended it to be.

Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
What about what Fierostore sell in black .look to what I have in mine that came in a GM box in my 84 . Aren,t them the same ?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Newbfiero:

What about what Fierostore sell in black .look to what I have in mine that came in a GM box in my 84 . Aren,t them the same ?

Black = 84 = Indy
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Olds uses the same switch http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...fPartsQ5fAccessories

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

PFF
System Bot
CenTexIndy

Feedback score:    (32)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
The only difference in an American and Canadian Indy was the speedo. The switches were all the same. Black.
Johngee

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohngeeSend a Private Message to JohngeeDirect Link to This Post
Every low mile Indy that I have seen has the black, power mirrors, windows, trunk release and rear defoger. Most of the ones with 30k or more on them seems to have them mixed. Could very well be there was some issues with the black.

John
pcwentworth

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcwentworthSend a Private Message to pcwentworthDirect Link to This Post
FYI I ordered the headlight switch from the fiero store last month (mine the lettering was all gone.) and it was black and gray.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohioindy:

How much is "rediculos"? I have about 6 of them NOS in a box

Oooh, oooh, ooh, Mr. Cotter, I have a question....how much?
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I just got a NOS one for 32 bucks! Sweeeet deal time!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

I just got a NOS one for 32 bucks! Sweeeet deal time!

Oh oh... the hoarders think they're gonna get rich now.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock