Rear diffusers by ALLTRBO
Started on: 01-23-2010 04:20 PM
Replies: 85
Last post by: dobey on 08-26-2010 03:47 PM
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:
...or maybe do something ferrari-ish and vent it out of the back of the bumper or between the tail lights with some mesh

Yeah, I'll vent it out the back and cover it with mesh. That's a good way to do it because the backside is a low pressure area and will help the heat get 'sucked' out. I may even switch to a center outlet exhaust, dunno yet. It won't be too hard to modify with the half-cut trunk and my exhaust methinks.

What I haven't figured out yet, though, is how this will affect the engine bay cooling through the decklid vents. The engine bay gets its cooling from the low pressure created by the fastback cavity (as opposed to a hatchback style like the C5 coupe and the C6). The lower pressure above the vents sucks the heat through from the higher pressure coming in from the underside. This seems like its flow would be in opposition to the rear exhaust vent, or at least with a mostly covered underside and cooling fans like I plan on adding. I'll just think about it more while I'm soldering boring tedious joints at work, heh (fortunately that's not nearly all that I do, it just requires the least amount of concentration, and otherwise puts me to sleep. )

I also think I need to get a chopped-short rear bumper fascia to near-flush with the taillights. (edit: ) I just noticed that whodeanie made exactly what I need. His new F355 style rear is as perfect as it gets on a Fiero. More money soon down the drain. More parts to slap on and modify.

Why I am obsessing over this at (edit: ) 3 a.m. when I have to wake up soon for work this morning, I have no idea. Well, the insomnia helps I think.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 08-25-2010).]

IP: Logged
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Sounds like a good plan. I'd like to see someone use the rear as a low pressure suction area for engine bay or exhaust heat.

I drove my car around a bit more today and then touched the diffuser afterwards. There was one spot that was kind of hot, the rest of it was cool. I think it will be fine for now. I only have 2 weeks left of driving it before I have to put it away. Next season maybe I'll wrap the muffler in that exhaust wrap.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Or, you could stick a piece of heat-shield mat on the diffuser. Either way should work.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Good point... I think I know where I might be able to get some...
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2010 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I don't want to drown this thread with pictures of my car, but I finally was able to wash it... so I'll just post a couple of pictures that do it justice all cleaned up

Thanks!
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-26-2010 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:
I don't want to drown this thread with pictures of my car, but I finally was able to wash it... so I'll just post a couple of pictures that do it justice all cleaned up

Well, I've got a lot of other things to finish on my car, before I get around to doing work on a diffuser and other things.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock