Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Interesting article on various penetrating oils (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Interesting article on various penetrating oils by Mr. F.E. Nix
Started on: 10-28-2009 10:32 PM
Replies: 50
Last post by: ConstableFD12 on 08-18-2010 01:46 PM
Mr. F.E. Nix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. F.E. NixSend a Private Message to Mr. F.E. NixDirect Link to This Post
Came across this article on different penetrating oils. With all the headaches that we go through removing rusted nuts and bolts, this article sounds promising. I haven't had a chance to try it yet - would be interested to hear some feedback from others.

Machinist's Workshop Mag (tm)recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this. the magazine reports they tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.
They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants
with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from
a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oil .......... Average load*
None ........................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ............... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix...............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better
than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use
it with equally good results.

Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for
about 20% of the price.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, and WD-40 are all common as hell, and in all my years I've not seen a nickel's worth of difference in any of them.
Sidecar 2M6 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sidecar 2M6 SESend a Private Message to Sidecar 2M6 SEDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for confirming my hunch about Liquid Wrench.

I have tried just about everything on the list except the home brew and I have usually found that Liquid Wrench worked the best and the fastest for me. I have been using it for about 35 years now and it is my first choice everytime for rust frozen fasteners.

[This message has been edited by Sidecar 2M6 SE (edited 10-29-2009).]

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
The thing I like about Kroil isn't the breaking power, but the ability to "creep" along surfaces. It gets everywhere.

It is expensive, though.
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
I've been making & using the ATF-Acetone mixture for years now. Works great!

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
one my fav's is brake fluid
but, I will certainly make myself a batch of the acetone/ATF

isnt acetone the main ingredient in most of the penetrating lubes? it sure smells that way.
AmericanMuscle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmericanMuscleSend a Private Message to AmericanMuscleDirect Link to This Post
Im definatly gonna whip up a batch of the home brew and try it
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Acetone may soften/remove some types of paint... just a thought.

J.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
Acetone may soften/remove some types of paint... just a thought.

J.

yes, as does the brake fluid which I often use.
perhaps that is why the common spray stuff is not nearly as strong - they cant - because or else they'd ruin paint jobs.....

yes - be careful with the "home brews"
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
What is the % mixing ATF and Acetone ? One part of ATF and how many parts of acetone ?
dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:

What is the % mixing ATF and Acetone ? One part of ATF and how many parts of acetone ?

50-50 according to the original post.
PFF
System Bot
nmw75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
Yes, its a 50-50 mix. I have mine in a little squeeze bottle. You'll find that the two liquids separate & need to be shaken to mix before use.

------------------
86 GT

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nmw75:
You'll find that the two liquids separate & need to be shaken to mix before use.

Shaken, not stirred.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
how many olives?
nmw75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
Personally, I've tasted much worse! I think the ATF helps smooth out the harsh flavor of the Acetone.

------------------
86 GT

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nmw75:

Personally, I've tasted much worse! I think the ATF helps smooth out the harsh flavor of the Acetone.

Back when I worked in the machine shop one of the guys stored MEK in a Gatorade bottle. It had a slight blue tint to it to help distinguish it from water. Well, he had some Gatorade one day and grabbed the wrong bottle. When asked how the MEK tasted his reply was "It tasted CLEAN".

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
I like using Deep Creep. It's made by SeaFoam and seems to work really well. It is expensive, though, at about $7 a can.
chrishahn87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Back when I worked in the machine shop one of the guys stored MEK in a Gatorade bottle. It had a slight blue tint to it to help distinguish it from water. Well, he had some Gatorade one day and grabbed the wrong bottle. When asked how the MEK tasted his reply was "It tasted CLEAN".

MEK - are you talking about the paint additive "Methyl Ethyl Keytone" (I believe thats how its spelled)
It is an additive that you can add to paint to help the paint dry or cure faster. According to the MSDS sheet, that stuff is pretty harsh! Can cause possible nervous system damage JUST from the vapors!

Assuming that your story is true, and the MEK is the same that you are talking about.... Did the guy survive?

[This message has been edited by chrishahn87 (edited 10-29-2009).]

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Is it wierd to like the way PB Blaster smells?

also...

I wish they made a cologne called 'gun oil'...
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-29-2009 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Acetone can be found at hard ware stores,, ace, homedepot,lowes ect. this is low quality but the good stuff is expensive

I save small squirt bottles like amour all comes in,, you mix your jism of choice in a separate bottle,,just in case it will clogg it up.. I make up a mixture of pb blaster,liquid wrench and synthetic oil and use an eyedropper or just a long thin screw driver,or squirt devise, sometimes I just drip it into a length of vacuum hose..that snakes down to the rusted area

TIP = hard to reach parts can often be reached by dripping your favorite lube onto a thin wire,or coat hanger,ect.. ,,you can watch it run down the wire & reach your objective !! Saw it done in the big time scooter shop
I use to smell often of gun oil,hoppes or outers, not a big turn on for the ladies,,did better just not bathing!! but I do love the smell of gun oil in the morning,, especially if vast amounts of full metal jacket projectiles have stirred it up..every 5th round a tracer.oooooh got me excited again

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 11-19-2009).]

billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post
Ya may trip out about what Im going to say. But I found iodine to work very good. If not the best of anything.
Just use it before ya try penetrating oils.

Deep Creep is good stuff. Some parts stores keeps it behide the counter.
When ya ask for it. Find ya a new guy working there. And Tell him to
(Give me some SeaFoam, Deep Creep)
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Brake fluid acetone will cause rust fish oil with prevent rust wd40.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrishahn87:

MEK - are you talking about the paint additive "Methyl Ethyl Keytone" (I believe thats how its spelled)
It is an additive that you can add to paint to help the paint dry or cure faster. According to the MSDS sheet, that stuff is pretty harsh! Can cause possible nervous system damage JUST from the vapors!

Assuming that your story is true, and the MEK is the same that you are talking about.... Did the guy survive?

MEK is also used as a starter (cathalyst?) for fiberglass resin...it does indeed nervous system damage and causes cancer... pretty dangerous !!
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
Nervous system damage? Maybe BRAIN damage? Now I understand us Fiero lovers !!
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

MEK is also used as a starter (cathalyst?) for fiberglass resin...

No! MEKP (Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide), not the industrial solvent MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), is what is used as a catalyst for polyester resin. They are two obviously related compounds, but they have totally different chemical properties. You generally buy MEK by the gallon (liter) and MEKP by the ounce (milliliter).

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 10-30-2009).]

couldahadaV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

Brake fluid acetone will cause rust fish oil with prevent rust wd40.

Maybe step away from the acetone fumes and try this again.
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
this link:

http://www.crcindustries.co...detail.aspx?PN=05002

Reminded me that this thread needed a lubricating bump.
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
I've been using Kroil for years. Got the 2 cans for $6 deal and still can use both.
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post
I find that this beats them all.

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the famous "Blue Tipped Wrench" I hear that it can take any bolt off with minimal effort.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I've found that Fluid Film works better than any other penetrating oil I've tried.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 11-18-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

I like using Deep Creep. It's made by SeaFoam and seems to work really well. It is expensive, though, at about $7 a can.

Ah yes, I used this, works very very well.

Would be interesting to see how it would have shown up in that test with the other products.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2009 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Went and got 3 LW's today to start and engine swap. Old bolts...figure I will soak them 2 or 3 times per day until Sat and the start trying to get them off. Is there a way to set bookmarks to your favorite threads?
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2009 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FrugalFiero:

I find that this beats them all.

In Texas... that's what we use to light cigarettes...

30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2009 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

Figures
HI-TECH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2009 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

no wonder why ive never seen a texan with a full beard....
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,

I found that KY Jelly works well

Kevin
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

I've found that " " works better than any other penetrating oil I've tried.

I'll update this thread when I get to the shop. Its in a grey/silver can with a red circle on the label with the name in the center. Hmm. wtf is it called...

It wouldn't be Fluid film would it? Good stuff!! Stinky but good. -Jason

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
AHH!! Thats it. I actually went out and verified that's what it was but never got around to updating this post. That Fluid Film stuff works amazing. I use it on everything, lol.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
I find the best thing is to use a propane torch, heat the rusted part for about 45 seconds or so, then quench it for about 20 seconds with PB Blaster. Then repeat. After 2-3 times of this, the bolt and rust damn near melt right off Just like a hot knife through butter
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock