Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Interesting article on various penetrating oils (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Interesting article on various penetrating oils by Mr. F.E. Nix
Started on: 10-28-2009 10:32 PM
Replies: 50
Last post by: ConstableFD12 on 08-18-2010 01:46 PM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Whats this Fliuid Film stuff?
IP: Logged
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

I find the best thing is to use a propane torch, heat the rusted part for about 45 seconds or so, then quench it for about 20 seconds with PB Blaster. Then repeat. After 2-3 times of this, the bolt and rust damn near melt right off Just like a hot knife through butter

Yeah, but stay away from the smoke....wowie! Does it burn your eyes!

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Fierofreak00

4221 posts
Member since Jun 2001

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Whats this Fliuid Film stuff?

This the stuff right here, really good stuff.

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Hehe, I like the smell of the PB Blaster and the smoke from it
Earl-R

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Yes, the famous "Blue Tipped Wrench" I hear that it can take any bolt off with minimal effort.

True, but the acetylene version is faster than natural gas, 2" bolt in under 30 seconds. I like that natural glow afterwards.

[This message has been edited by Earl-R (edited 11-19-2009).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrishahn87:

MEK - are you talking about the paint additive "Methyl Ethyl Keytone" (I believe thats how its spelled)
It is an additive that you can add to paint to help the paint dry or cure faster. According to the MSDS sheet, that stuff is pretty harsh! Can cause possible nervous system damage JUST from the vapors!

Assuming that your story is true, and the MEK is the same that you are talking about.... Did the guy survive?

Wow, I go looking for this to try a mix of atf and acetone for a axle nut I'm having trouble with and find this.

Yes that MEK. Yes, the guy did survive, it was like a instant gag reflex. The MEK hit his mouth and he spit it out. Very harsh stuff, and yes it is used as a part of the catlyst in Bondo fiberglass resin, but I think it's actually the peroxide in the catlyst that hardens the resin. I'm not sure about other brands. I used MEK all the time at the machine shop. It was a common thinner and cleaner for the aerospace paints I sprayed and a few of the epoxies. It would cause the rubber o-rings to swell and degrade in the guns, so I had to replace them frequently. It also worked really well for cleaneing the oils off of bare metal parts before painting. Also it's vapors are very flamable. Back when I smoked if I couldn't find my lighter at work, I'd squirt a little MEK in my torch striker and click it. The MEK would ignite and I'd light my cig.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 02-01-2010).]

Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-01-2010 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

also...

I wish they made a cologne called 'gun oil'...

it comes in spray bottles now..
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-01-2010 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Mr. F.E. Nix:

Came across this article on different penetrating oils. With all the headaches that we go through removing rusted nuts and bolts, this article sounds promising. I haven't had a chance to try it yet - would be interested to hear some feedback from others.

Machinist's Workshop Mag (tm)recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting.

And to think just now i didn't renew, so this month was the first month i didn't get one for a few years now.
GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNDirect Link to This Post
My father-in-law swears by diesel fuel conditioner, says it will loosen 50years of rust over night. He restores old tractors.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
I know that ATF has a lot of cleansers and rust inhibitors in it. It will also lubricate the part once it is broken loose and starts to move. I am wondering what Acetone does to the rust.

Are there any chemists that can tell us what happens when the Acetone hits the rust?
ConstableFD12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConstableFD12Send a Private Message to ConstableFD12Direct Link to This Post
Ive used alot of these penetrating sprays and the one ive found to work best is Free All by federal process. Never used the 50/50 mix though...
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock