2.0 Turbo Lt3 by fieroguy123
Started on: 09-22-2009 02:54 PM
Replies: 66
Last post by: MaxCubes on 09-02-2010 01:20 AM
jeffdean42

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-08-2010 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffdean42Send a Private Message to jeffdean42Direct Link to This Post
could i convert a Lt3 into a C20LET??

they swap these motors into all kinds of cars, its not uncommon to see 600hp with these motors over there..

I wonder if the Sunbird cluster would work with the C20LET?
IP: Logged
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post06-08-2010 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Ben's dad and Paul at RFT both are using this setup. IIRC Paul also reversed the hoses at the front just behind the radiator. I think he's also using an intercooler from a 3000GT.

http://realfierotech.com/ph...=16&t=17125&start=40
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
You can turn it into a c20let. It's been done buy a guy named pontiac jeff. I can put the two of you in-touch if you'd like. I havn't seen the car, but it runs 10's in the quarter. He's running it in a 90' grand am, so he's passing 10's in a fwd!

That is a VERY COOL thread that you linked us to. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by fieroguy123 (edited 06-08-2010).]

Y_B_A_FOOL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Y_B_A_FOOLSend a Private Message to Y_B_A_FOOLDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguy123:

No this engine will not bolt to any fiero transmission, it has a different bolt pattern.

Didn't the 1.8L come with the muncie? It would be harder to find a bell housing but I would imagine its possible.
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Yes, the 1.8turbo sunbird did come with the muncie 4spd
jeffdean42

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-08-2010 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffdean42Send a Private Message to jeffdean42Direct Link to This Post
does pontiac jeff have a build thread?
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
He's not a forum member, don't think he even ownes a fiero. But I'm sure he does have build thread somewhere. Let me talk to him and find out.......

Just got off the phone with him, no build thread. He said to give you his phone number. Sending you a pm.

[This message has been edited by fieroguy123 (edited 06-08-2010).]

ghost187x

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
http://lt3engine.i8.com/info.html
good source i googled...
i want this engine... lets trade!
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post

Yes, the 1.8turbo sunbird did come with the muncie 4spd

So would the 1.8 turbo engine bolt up to the manual Muncie 4 speed that come in fieros?

Btw that engine looks great in there. Looks like there's alot of extra room in there too. Have u dyno'd it? What kind of torque and horsepower does it got? Don't know much about these engines

[This message has been edited by HausFiero (edited 06-10-2010).]

fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Sorry, the 1.8 is the same block as the 2.0, won't work with a fiero tranny...

There is alot of extra room in the engine compartment, only place that's tight is where the intake manifold is about 2.5 inches from the trunk wall. However, it's easy to detach the dog bone and roll the motor forward a few extra inches for extra clearance....

I havn't had either of my cars dyno'd yet, the gt isn't even tuned. Because of that I'm almost afraid to even drive it for two reasons, first is that there's a risk of going lean with my twin throttle body conversion, and second because I have a limited slip differential and an engine that makes full boost at roughly 1500rpm. It's absolutely retarded throttle response with the twin tb's and if you go around and corner and touch the gas the car spins around backwards. I have to coast through corners. I really need to have it de-tuned. Lol
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
What is twin throttle body? Can't say iv ever heard of it
PFF
System Bot
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Your 2.5, 2.8, or whatever you have, has 1 throttle body. I installed a second one to double the intake airflow.
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post

Your 2.5, 2.8, or whatever you have, has 1 throttle body. I installed a second one to double the intake airflow.

Oh damn I didn't even know u could so that. Iv never heard of it before. That's awesome
Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
I had a Sunbird with the 1.8 Turbo in it and MAN It flew! I shocked a ton of Mustangs and Camero's with it. The only thing I had to make sure was that I could not go from a dead stop. Had to be rolling a bit. Once it got wound up it would fly! Fun car until it develope a crinoc overheating problem i could never figure out.
jeffdean42

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-10-2010 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffdean42Send a Private Message to jeffdean42Direct Link to This Post

What does that do? does it increase hp? by how much?
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
Is the swap process documented? And does this engine like boost?
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HausFiero:

Is the swap process documented? And does this engine like boost?

no 8 psi max or you pop heads and gaskets needs serious work to be boosted over 8 psi
notorious for cracked heads between the valves causing severe overheating
never been all that reliable even in stock form becauseof head issues
GM stoped using the engine for that exact reason
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
Oh wow, thanks bubba.

Lol well that sucks there goes my idea then. :/

just out of curiosity what kind of work does it need to handle more? It's a lower compression engine isn't it? I'm not quite sure how the whole compression thing works and how that has to do with boost but doesn't lower compression mean it can take boost better tho?

Oh and also what other swaps compare to this one in physical size/ how much room it takes up in the engine bay? (quad 4?... Etc, other small ones)

[This message has been edited by HausFiero (edited 06-10-2010).]

jeffdean42

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-11-2010 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffdean42Send a Private Message to jeffdean42Direct Link to This Post
Would i have the same issues with the muncie 4spd that you did with the 5 speed?

how much did it cost to build the 5 speed?
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
You would have the exact same problems with the 4 spd as I did with the 5 spd.

As far as the cracked head/overheating issue, that's absolutely true. The engine is notorious for blowing headgaskets. After ALOT of research I found solutions for the weak piston rods, the weak head gasket, and the head bolt issues, so I can advise anyone who asks how to do that. However, the head cracking issue still exists. So i have 3 extra magnafluxed heads in my barn ready to go for when one does decide to crack. So far so good though. This engine does not like heat, not at all. So i'm running a 160 thermostat and doing everything possible to keep the engine temp down. So far, even on my most abusive test drives in the GT I have yet to break 140 degrees. So i believe that will help keep from cracking heads/ popping head gaskets.

GM set the boost at 8 psi from the factory because that IS all she will take (long term) in stock form, but I'm currently running 15 psi and having good luck with it probably because of all of my preventative measures. I have arp head studs, a commetic head gasket, and most of my lower end is from other engines. For example my rods came from the newer 2.2 that's in the daewoo's (it's the newer revised model with dohc still produced today).
jeffdean42

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2010 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffdean42Send a Private Message to jeffdean42Direct Link to This Post
F23 transmission from the ecotec won't work ether?
PFF
System Bot
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2010 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
The cracked heads and gasket failures are knock induced. Use an intercooler and scale fuel to remedy.
Ryan01228

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan01228Send a Private Message to Ryan01228Direct Link to This Post
I have owned a number fo the LT3 (2.0 Turbo) cars. With the manual trans and good tuning it is a GREAT MOTOR! YOu can suprise MANY mustang owners! (at least in the OLD 5.0 Days). I have been considering this swap for some time....Maybe now that someone has done the "hard" part...I can COPY!
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

You would have the exact same problems with the 4 spd as I did with the 5 spd.

As far as the cracked head/overheating issue, that's absolutely true. The engine is notorious for blowing headgaskets. After ALOT of research I found solutions for the weak piston rods, the weak head gasket, and the head bolt issues, so I can advise anyone who asks how to do that. However, the head cracking issue still exists. So i have 3 extra magnafluxed heads in my barn ready to go for when one does decide to crack. So far so good though. This engine does not like heat, not at all. So i'm running a 160 thermostat and doing everything possible to keep the engine temp down. So far, even on my most abusive test drives in the GT I have yet to break 140 degrees. So i believe that will help keep from cracking heads/ popping head gaskets.

GM set the boost at 8 psi from the factory because that IS all she will take (long term) in stock form, but I'm currently running 15 psi and having good luck with it probably because of all of my preventative measures. I have arp head studs, a commetic head gasket, and most of my lower end is from other engines. For example my rods came from the newer 2.2 that's in the daewoo's (it's the newer revised model with dohc still produced today).

nice to see you when with improved cooling and fasteners keep it as cool as possible and you will have some fun but watch the heat it will kill it quick
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
i didnt see this in a previous point...but beyond uniqueness...whats the advantage to this motor? its 2.0 4 banger...is it a simple swap like the 3.4 pr? if thats the case i see a huge pro here...but if its not...idk just seems like futility unless you like these mini motors. I'll go to my grave screaming there's no replacement for displacement!...

fyi not knocking the car / build...it looks beautiful.

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.
#12 NYFOC Member
In recent times, the custom aftermarket car/automobile roadwheel has become a status symbol. These wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims". The term "rim" is incorrect because the rim is only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted )

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
I am actually interested in doing this swap on a fiero I have ....... Problem is that I have yet to find the parts in a junkyard
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Here is a good side view of the 2.0 ....

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock