Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  How bad do the 3.8L's really sound??? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
How bad do the 3.8L's really sound??? by kawana
Started on: 11-11-2008 10:29 PM
Replies: 146
Last post by: solotwo on 09-12-2010 08:47 PM
kawana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Are people exaggerating when they say that these engines sound horrible at anything above idle? Or is it true... Does anyone have any sound clips? No idling clips please, i know they sound good at idle.. Im more looking for outside shots, im sure all you can hear from the inside is the supercharger whine :P
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kawana:

Are people exaggerating when they say that these engines sound horrible at anything above idle? Or is it true...

In my humble opinion, it's no exaggeration.

It's a great motor, makes lots of power, inexpensive, responds well to mods, and looks like it belongs in the Fiero engine bay...but sound good under throttle...not so much.

I have yet to hear one that sounds good at anything other than idle. Heck even a duke sounds decent at idle, but once you wind up the 3800 it sounds like a V8 that's missing 2 cylinders...because that what it is.
Silverdosica

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilverdosicaSend a Private Message to SilverdosicaDirect Link to This Post
something like a baby with pots and pans well maybe not have you ever heard a non z28 or a firebird with exhaust 98-02 model just really raspy not the normal deep tones of a v8 or such
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
if you dont like the way it sounds, just throw a nice muffler on it, quiet it up a lot and you'll have yourself a sleeper...
Emc209i

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post11-11-2008 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
You tell me bro, what's it sound like to you?

Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone ever done a true duo exhaust with headers & no crossover pipe? That should make a considerable difference in sound.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
i think you should just put on a recording of a V8 in your cd player and it would sound much better .
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
flow masters on the 98 bird n/a sound like **** at high rpms it idle it sounds badass and mid way dosent sond to bad high rpms it just sounds to raspy.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Emc209i:

Let me guess...you are under 21 years old? To those of us old enough to remember a muscle car, supercharger whine is not what I want to hear when I punch it. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not my cup of tea.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
to tell you the truth i think the best sound to ever come from a car besides for exotics is the infinity G35 fx35 muerano (if thats how you spell it) and the chrysler 300m special
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w_4xyFQMKo

I dont know about you guys, but I'd rock it. It aint no northstar, but its one hell of an engine.

3800's bug me because alot of GP guys kind of ruin it for me with their N/A cars. However that car in particular is pretty savage.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w_4xyFQMKo

I dont know about you guys, but I'd rock it. It aint no northstar, but its one hell of an engine.

3800's bug me because alot of GP guys kind of ruin it for me with their N/A cars. However that car in particular is pretty savage.

i agree but you can still pick up that raspy noise even out of that had i known it was going to make my firebird worse i would have never put the flowmaster on it but the good thing is at low rpm's it sounds good and for some reason my firebird is starting to sound better

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
At idle and rolling into it my car sounds good with a nice rumble--Anything after that then it sounds pretty nasty but I have no complaints.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
anyone have any drive by shots? Going by the 2 videos posted, its not that bad.. Theres a local guy that has one, so ill hear it in person at some point, but i want to hear more from your guys experiences..
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

At idle and rolling into it my car sounds good with a nice rumble--Anything after that then it sounds pretty nasty but I have no complaints.

gota pay the cost to be the boss even though its not asbot how your car sounds at the end of the day its how it preforms

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

anyone have any drive by shots? Going by the 2 videos posted, its not that bad.. Theres a local guy that has one, so ill hear it in person at some point, but i want to hear more from your guys experiences..
mines on an na firebird but ill make one tomorrow if i dont find anything better to do

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2008 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Let me guess...you are under 21 years old? To those of us old enough to remember(?) a muscle car, supercharger whine is not what I want to hear when I punch it. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not my cup of tea.

Is there some sort of law forbidding anyone from driving an old school muscle car until they're 21?! What does age have to do with understanding/appreciating the dynamics of cars of the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's 70's, 80's? Why would anyone need to be as old as you to know what you're talking about? Don't be so quick to assume.

And just because its all you had growing up, doesn't mean that its something I'd necessarily want.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 11-12-2008).]

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
I dont know about anything over idle. Ive had more than one car guy ask me if it was a V8 after I drove up, and complement on the sound. Im not to sure about at WOT, as Ive never heard it at WOT from the outside, and im a little more occupied trying to keep in a straight line when Im nailing it.
squisher86SE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post
the 3800's problem with sound is it's fire order. The 60 degree v6's (like the 2.8, 3.1, etc) have a 180 degree fire order (bank-to-bank), 1-2-3-4-5-6

The 3.8 is more like a small-block 1-6-5-4-3-2, (still bank to bank...huh, i thought it was different than that) plus the degrees of separation are more like the v8, making them a little bit uneven, especially compared to the purpose built 60 degree 6ers.

I've heard one, maybe two nice sounding exhaust systems for the 3800 (for the entire RPM range. Most sound decent at mid-low RPM, but get over 3500/4000 and they sound like ass). Both were in a Camaro, and both were fairly expensive and custom work. My favorite used headers, an H-pipe and 2 borla mufflers that dumped out over the back axle. It sounded pissed

I loved my 3800 Camaro, but I like my Quad4 Cavalier better (Yeah, I got another one...muahaha!)

EDIT: Of course, I love my Fiero best of all!

[This message has been edited by squisher86SE (edited 11-12-2008).]

Samohtneas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post
They might sound awful but I won't complain about 360HP+ with less weight than a V8!
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, the 60dV6 sounds so much better

really does. something I really noticed at the 25th track days.

I'd expect with some header & exhaust options a better sound could be created - but - I do beleive the output/performance is what counts.
PFF
System Bot
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I guess I am biased... When I am driving it, I am not aware of how the engine actually sounds, as I am too busy grinning. I do know that the sound at idle is okay in my book. But I must not be an engine sound connoisseur.

So if the majority says it sounds like @ss, I guess it must... but it is still a joy to own and drive.

BTW, mine has a flowmaster 80 and I replaced the stock "trumpet" resonators with oval resonator tips.
fieroboom

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Emc209i:

What car/dash is this? I really like that instrument cluster. Is it an all-LCD panel? Just 3 days ago I was drawing up plans for an LCD cluster. Please tell me what car this is (I read the thread, but I didn't see it) Thanks.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2008 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I'd rather be driving the L67 than my DOHC, and that's one of the sexiest exhaust notes on the planet! Jncomutt has no issue passing his beast exhaust note off as a stroked 383. I prefer a quieter engine with more charger whine.

The video I posted is of an older Holden Monaro with an intercooled series V blower. It's equipped with analog gauges, they're just hard to see in the video.

Speaking of which- Jncomutt's new Turbo setup. Someone outside mistook the sound for the Mustang Cobra that was parked in the next bay.
http://www.viddler.com/expl...Fierofiend/videos/1/

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
I'd rather hear the supercharger wine, than a loud exhaust any day of the week. Kinda like the Supra I own. I want the quietest exhaust on it that I can find, and let the turbo make all the noise as I accelerate.

I'm the type that likes to make people guess as to what's under the hood, and find out only when I leave them looking at my taillights.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Mine sounds good at idle, but i've never heard it at high speed, guess the sound never catches up !
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2008 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
You must be younger than 21 Deabioni.

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by squisher86SE:

the 3800's problem with sound is it's fire order. The 60 degree v6's (like the 2.8, 3.1, etc) have a 180 degree fire order (bank-to-bank), 1-2-3-4-5-6

The 3.8 is more like a small-block 1-6-5-4-3-2, (still bank to bank...huh, i thought it was different than that) plus the degrees of separation are more like the v8, making them a little bit uneven, especially compared to the purpose built 60 degree 6ers.

I've heard one, maybe two nice sounding exhaust systems for the 3800 (for the entire RPM range. Most sound decent at mid-low RPM, but get over 3500/4000 and they sound like ass). Both were in a Camaro, and both were fairly expensive and custom work. My favorite used headers, an H-pipe and 2 borla mufflers that dumped out over the back axle. It sounded pissed

I loved my 3800 Camaro, but I like my Quad4 Cavalier better (Yeah, I got another one...muahaha!)

EDIT: Of course, I love my Fiero best of all!

Pardon my ignorance, but can someone explain why you cant change the firing order?? Im sure it would be costly, custom parts, but idk.. maybe i dont understand it all :P That would be the crank that determines the order right? Couldn't you get one custom made ($$)?

[This message has been edited by kawana (edited 11-12-2008).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2008 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
You're on the right track. It all has to do with physics, you can change the firing order (crankshaft, electronics, camshaft), but the hardest part is keeping everything balanced. 90* motors have an odd splay angle, so it makes balancing each throw very hard. You end up with three configurations today for the 6 cylinder:

Straight Six Firing order: 1-5-3-6-2-4
3800 90* splays: 1-6-5-4-3-2
V6's with 60* splays: 1-2-3-4-5-6

You can't really change the firing order on the 3800, and still balance the block without adding balancers etc. Besides being almost impossible, it'd cost more than twice what the car's worth. Be happy with the 3800 for what it is. If you want something exotic, go with the 60* V6 or something foreign. The reason 60* V6's are so smooth and fire, 1-2-3-4-5-6 is because of their 60 degree throws. So: 1 throw each 60* = 6 throws in 360* (a full rotation) / 12 times in 720* (a full cycle). The engine almost balances itself entirely without a balance shaft.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2008 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005
Here, I spent some time digging up some stuff you can read. I found most these extremely helpful when I was learning about all of this.

These pages were amazing help.
Part 1: Introduction: Dynamics: 2 cylinders and 3 cylinders
Part 2: 4 cylinder and 5 cylinder
Part 3: 6 cylinder
Part 4: 8-10- and 12 cylinders
Part 5: 15*, boxer, and W engines

Awesome post by "Steve" over at the Ferrari board.
http://ferrarichat.com/foru...lternate+bank+firing

Read all parts 1-5 if you can. You'll learn a lot.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
They sound horrid.

Put a turbo on, and a decent turbo style muffler, and it changes into more of a roar than a sound. Any other time cruising around, you just hear the turbo spooling. 3800's sound decent at idle.

Its near impossible to make a swap exhaust quiet, short of putting 2 full size stock mufflers on it, and modding them so they can flow a decent amount.
PFF
System Bot
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Is it really something you notice from inside the car? Or is it pretty much drowned out? Say your going like 70mph, but your not going WOT, will you hear the supercharger, or will it not really be screaming?

Oh, and while were on the topic of exhaust systems, what would it sound like if you each cyl. bank had its own exhaust system, like instead of both sides joining up. Im not thinking of doing this, im just curious what it would do to the sound... probably sound like ass :P

Pardon my crude paint skills Obviously you'd have to squeeze a muffler in there, but you get the gyst of what im saying..

[This message has been edited by kawana (edited 11-12-2008).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post

Is it really something you notice from inside the car? Or is it pretty much drowned out? Say your going like 70mph, but your not going WOT, will you hear the supercharger, or will it not really be screaming?

Oh, and while were on the topic of exhaust systems, what would it sound like if you each cyl. bank had its own exhaust system, like instead of both sides joining up. Im not thinking of doing this, im just curious what it would do to the sound... probably sound like ass :P

Pardon my crude paint skills Obviously you'd have to squeeze a muffler in there, but you get the gyst of what im saying..

Actually, I thought about that too. Having to seperate outlets would be interesting to see if you'd gain performance. I'd think maybe abit more, but someone would have to try this to confirm if the HP gains are there. Let us know...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, loaded, 5-speed

Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post
I am using nothing but a single glass pack and I love the way it sounds.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
do you have any clips of it? And by "love the way it sounds', do you mean at idle, or WOT?
Silentassassin185

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
Coming straight out of a spintech muffler at the time. Sounds a little more civilized with the tips on it now. More directional less reverberations into the cab.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Ah, i just finished watching that video too. Think you could shoot another with more WOT hits/less talking lol :P I guess its hard to really tell if i dont see one in person :P
FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
http://vids.myspace.com/ind...ual&VideoID=33546584

I'm not claiming it sounds like a V8, but I love to hear it!

Greg

------------------

Silentassassin185

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post

Ah, i just finished watching that video too. Think you could shoot another with more WOT hits/less talking lol :P I guess its hard to really tell if i dont see one in person :P

Yeah I'm gonna try to get out tommorow. Been meaning to get some new video since I got the exhaust finished.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
My 3800SC series III is loud and that's with a 3" in / dual 2 1/2" out Flowtech muffler AND two pair of Heddman Hot Tips resonator ends. . At idle it rumbles and at road load it quiets down to a rumble but at WOT all hell breaks loose. Like em loud then you'll like the sound of the 3800SC and as Darkhorizon has said its almost impossible to have a quiet exhaust on this engine with a modifed free flow swap exhaust. If you want it quiet only one system will provide it- a set of WCF headers with a CAT a muffler in the stock location, stock exhaust routing and with dual exhaust tips.. A guy in my club runs this system and its not very loud. Only one problem; this setup will zap some horsepower

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock