Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  How bad do the 3.8L's really sound??? (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
How bad do the 3.8L's really sound??? by kawana
Started on: 11-11-2008 10:29 PM
Replies: 146
Last post by: solotwo on 09-12-2010 08:47 PM
WhiteDevil88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post11-15-2008 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bondo:

The problem with the 3800 swaps is most owners utilize Flowmaster mufflers. The 3.8/Flowmaster combo is horrible to say the least. They are primarily tuned for V8's. I'll even go out on a limb and state I have the nicest sounding 3800SC swap going. My combo: West Coast Fiero Headers, 2 1/2" piping through a Dynomax Cat, into a Spintech x-flow muffler ( 2 1/2" inlet, 2" outlet), exiting through the original GT trumpets - for that stock look. It sounds just like a 2.8, but louder. Have a listen.

http://smg.photobucket.com/...t=FieroSoundClip.flv

The only thing that could top that is a nicely tuned V8.

I had a similar system in my car, installed by WCF. Tubular exhaust manifold "headers", crosspipe, high flow CatCon, 2.5" ehaust to a white label Spintech from WCF to stock tips, which I replaced with oval tips. It sounded crisp and quiet up to about 3000 rpm, then you could hear the air shrieking throug a pipe behind you while the supercharger starts to whine. By that time, you are going so fast that aren't considering harmonics.

Before it received the WCF makeover, it had the original ACE exhaust, basically a single pipe going diagonally across, with the other pipe just welded to it, no muffler. It sounded like a UPS truck on the highway, it was painful for long trips. The right exhaust makes all the difference, and I recommend the Spintech.

But then again, I'm a ricer who likes the sound of his turbo four cylinder. What do I know about how cars should sound?

IP: Logged
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I haven't heard a 3800 up close, but I did like the stock - cat exhaust on my 2.8 sure its not a V8 but just like you cant eat steak every meal you can enjoy different engines.
The 2.8 in my SE was fun to drive, it was enough power that I enjoyed driving it. I don't have the 2.8 anymore and have a 2200 and its starting to grow on me.

I like country music too!
Fiero Owner

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
My 3800SC sounded alright when I started it up a few months ago after I got it swapped. Mind you it was just running with the manifolds on, no exhaust. I'll see how it sounds next year after I get the exhaust in it, if I have time for it next year.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I don't give two sh*ts if my 3800SC sounds like a Vespa scooter. The main thing is being victorious and seeing the opposition in the rear view mirror. That's the main objective.

I'm glad you are happy with your choice of engine.... but some of us DO care what our cars sound like. It's a Mario Andretti thing I guess.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

When you see Honda Civics running in the 7's with the pop pop riceburner+ turbocharger sound, it becomes evident that the speed is more important than the sound.

I don't give two sh*ts if my 3800SC sounds like a Vespa scooter. The main thing is being victorious and seeing the opposition in the rear view mirror. That's the main objective.

How often do you get the opportunity to satisfy your "main objective" of "being victorious and seeing the opposition in the rear view mirror"?

How often do you hear the sound of your engine?

I rest my case.

-------------------------------------

V8s rule, they make me drool.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Emc209i:

Same thing here, knew a guy in his late 20's with an open ended 5.0. He made SOOO much noise all the time, drove everyone up the wall. Cocky kid. When it come time to fix the engine (he dropped the hammer on the engine while a 200 shot NO2 was still flowing) he parked the car under a tree, hoisted the engine out by a tree branch, and then cut through the entire wiring harness with a pair of scissors. Needless to say, the car never ran again. Seems like the guys with the loudest exhaust, know the least about engine dynamics. Hence sbc envy...

i have one of those kids in my area to loud of a car drives to fast talks crap on my fiero and he has a 4 door civic its just anoying than he goes and does an oil change on his car and forgets to get oil so he thinks itl be safe driving like 4 miles down the street to get oil in his car and again needless to say we never saw that car again
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
This one sounds pretty good to me.. why does it sound better than the supercharged versions?

edit: i think theres something to the whole turbo 3800 thing, alot of the ones im seeing on youtube sound pretty sick I like

[This message has been edited by kawana (edited 11-16-2008).]

squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post
Turbos help chop some of the "nastyness" out of the exhaust. 3.8's can sound good, it just requires more careful thought and planning than other engines.
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
I was driven in 3800SC Fieros a few times and they GO great. Not to mention it is one of the best looking engines (if properly done) in a Fiero.
Personally, I don't care too much for "high pitch noises" and that is what the SC produces when it works. It doesn't matter much what type of exhaust system you install, that high pitch will always be there. One of the reasons I'll probably never own one.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
A local with a swap wants to put a new "quiet" exhaust on, and he told me it would cost him nearly $500 in materials... I did my turbo setup for less than that...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I'm glad you are happy with your choice of engine.... but some of us DO care what our cars sound like. It's a Mario Andretti thing I guess.

As they say to each his own but do we spend $1000's to build our Fieros for speed or do we build them for noise? If anyone thinks that we don't use the power here, all I say is that you haven't been to NJ. I'm standing on it all the time! Just wore out a set of rear tires after only 5,000 miles!!!

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

As they say to each his own but do we spend $1000's to build our Fieros for speed or do we build them for noise?

Geez sorry it's not a pick on Dennis day (my second quote from him in two thread)

I would have agread with you a few years ago. Who cares about the sound when you have ample power....surely not me....WRONG! Like I mentioned I had more then 1 V8 system in our fiero and also installed a 3800 s/c so I do know and I am not a very fussy person as many people who know me will agree. I loved the power of the 3800 s/c BUT it did nothing for me then push me back in the seat. Sitting at a stop light in the city with the annoying drown of the 13.2 sec 1/4 3800 did nothing for me. Sitting at a stop light with a 15 sec 1/4 mile 4.9 V8 would sooth and bring smile to my face. LET me tell you sound of an engine is important. I would never build a 3800 s/c or turbo for myself again-just does nothing for me personally.

A few things I have noticed in life....a guy with a fart can honda or VW loves the sound of his POS passing me.

A guy with a 3800 s/c loves the sound of his car because he will not say otherwise.

A guy with an actual choice or experience will give you an un-biased answer.

I am not knocking the 3800 s/c but I have the experience....SOUND does matter to me, and I am not the only one that thinks that way.
Pete

------------------

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

Geez sorry it's not a pick on Dennis day (my second quote from him in two thread)

I would have agread with you a few years ago. Who cares about the sound when you have ample power....surely not me....WRONG! Like I mentioned I had more then 1 V8 system in our fiero and also installed a 3800 s/c so I do know and I am not a very fussy person as many people who know me will agree. I loved the power of the 3800 s/c BUT it did nothing for me then push me back in the seat. Sitting at a stop light in the city with the annoying drown of the 13.2 sec 1/4 3800 did nothing for me. Sitting at a stop light with a 15 sec 1/4 mile 4.9 V8 would sooth and bring smile to my face. LET me tell you sound of an engine is important. I would never build a 3800 s/c or turbo for myself again-just does nothing for me personally.

A few things I have noticed in life....a guy with a fart can honda or VW loves the sound of his POS passing me.

A guy with a 3800 s/c loves the sound of his car because he will not say otherwise.

A guy with an actual choice or experience will give you an un-biased answer.

I am not knocking the 3800 s/c but I have the experience....SOUND does matter to me, and I am not the only one that thinks that way.
Pete

Pete:
Expressing ones opinion is never construed as picking on anyone. That why I started the sentence in my post "to each his own". You've always been one of the good guys here so by all means disagree and we're still friends.
I own a V8 Mopar and yes the sound is quite more "authoritative" than my 3800SC. That Mopar has an all out/ Roots supercharged engine and can wake up the dead!! It can light the tires in all four gears and dynoed at 578 HP with a 850 Holley carb no less and w/o the juice.
Owning both type of engines I guess that I'm just one of the owners that can live with the more shallow 3800 sound. I view it as a sports car sound vs. a Muscle car sound. Judging from the posts here it is obvous that sound does matter to many so these guys obviously prefer the V8's .
BTW, when you coming back to Fieros at Carlisle? Haven't seen you there the past two years. By any chance are you working on an LS4 like Jon?

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.

Emc209i

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post11-16-2008 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
0.o

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 11-16-2008).]

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Im still waiting on some more videos of higher revs. If anyone has any turbo 3800 videos (in cab and outside), please throw them up.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

You tell me bro, what's it sound like to you?

Thank you for this "sound post," Emc209i.

Do others following this thread feel that sound is "typical" of a 3800 swap without further modifications to its exhaust system?

I ask because I've no idea what a 3800 swap should sound like, given that seeing any Fiero in my area unfortunately is a rare occurrence, let alone running across one with a 3800 engine swap in it.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
ya, its hard to tell how it would sound in person, compared to a computer. There are a few in the local car club id like to check out, but its likely they wont be meeting up till spring.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

Thank you for this "sound post," Emc209i.

Do others following this thread feel that sound is "typical" of a 3800 swap without further modifications to its exhaust system?

I ask because I've no idea what a 3800 swap should sound like, given that seeing any Fiero in my area unfortunately is a rare occurrence, let alone running across one with a 3800 engine swap in it.

The exhaust in that video seems a bit quieter than mine, but more or less its the same idea. Intake location and where you sit in the car REALLY effects the noise level. My car (or cars taking in consideration my projects I have done) have all had the same noise level, with the exception of my "over designed" exhaust in my small pulley setup really had a loud blower, most likely louder than that with a fender well intake.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon

12279 posts
Member since Jan 2006

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Pete:
BTW, when you coming back to Fieros at Carlisle? Haven't seen you there the past two years.

We sold "Her86GT" once it was a 3800 s/c powered machine. We really did not like it much anymore after the V8 was gone, and it worked so well as a V6 it would have been a shame to take it apart and do a TT6.0L. Then we replaced it with a 3800 F body with big plans to turbo it and run 11s on the track but really lost interest. Though about a LS7 but put our time and efforts away from cars. We are back on the water during our spare time for a bit now and need a Suburban to pull it's 8500lbs hull and trailer around on land.

As for PA and Rockcrawl....We lost touch when he started "dating" rather than spending his time in the garage everynight...Still have the great memories thou

Kinda back on topic....We did just trade in our V6 boat for a V8, will be looking forward to the V8 sound again.

Pete

------------------

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, those help. I think it will be tollerable if i go with a turbo setup, those seem to sound alright. If there was another engine that could get 36mpg, and 250-300hp+ while being reliable, id probably go with that, but besides the sound, this engine fits the bill. Hopefully i wont regret it lol :P
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

As for PA and Rockcrawl....We lost touch when he started "dating" rather than spending his time in the garage everynight...

Pete

Funny how priorities change over time...

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2008 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
The first video has a key jingle at the beginning so you can adjust your speakers to the correct output. Neighbors are already asking what kind of V8 it is.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 11-18-2008).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
YIKES whats wrong with that poor 3800?

Wouldnt start, hardly idled, sounded like it was missing, and barely revved?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Neighbors are already asking what kind of V8 it is.

Honestly, I don't think we can get much of an idea what this engine will sound like when ready for the road by listening to it with an open exhaust.

My lawnmower sounds pretty wicked with no muffler as well. (That's just a joke, I'm NOT dissing your engine!)
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post
nevermind

[This message has been edited by Bubbajuju (edited 11-18-2008).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2008 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

YIKES whats wrong with that poor 3800?

Wouldnt start, hardly idled, sounded like it was missing, and barely revved?

Tps is wired backward. Dumping fuel because it sees 5v at ct, nothing's wrong with it at all. The second video its been flipped.

Frog (Toad) my car sounds meaner than your lawnmower. Who said its not ready for the road?

Haha, the camera is panning to the right each time I rev it.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
The second video sounds just as bad, sorry.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2008 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
sorry about what? It runs great. Your voice is pretty ******** up though, might wanna have a look at that.

Edit: Someone wanted me to add "I wanted some sound action from behind".

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
idk, i thought it sounded pretty mean Im sure it will sound different once you get an exhaust on there, but i dont seem to really mind the sound of these engines..
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Frog (Toad) my car sounds meaner than your lawnmower.

You've never heard my lawnmower.

PFF
System Bot
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
haha awesome Is that really yours patrick, or just a video you found? Anywho, Car-2-Lo (local WCF club member) says he'll give me a ride in his 3.8 swapped fiero sometime. So ill know first hand how it sounds.. That doesn't mean i dont wanna see more videos though, throw some more up
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Heh heh.... No, that's not my mower. Mine only has a Duke.
pumpkincarriage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pumpkincarriageSend a Private Message to pumpkincarriageDirect Link to This Post
I too belong to the club that doesn't really want a 3800 due to their sound. I'm around several of them every month and at idle they all sound okay, not great, but nothing to complain about. Once we start cruising though, I'm glad my DOHC drowns them out with it's beautiful noise

My friend's 3800 sounded pretty good with no exhaust (I'm sure it would deafen you trying to drive it that way though), but it sounds like a broken helicopter normally. I can't hardly stand to even ride in it. (Sorry Daniel )
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
if i decided to go with a 3.8, id likely setup a very quiet exhaust, and dynomat the interior (which id do regardless, cant stand road noise) :P After that, i can care less what OTHER people hear
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

The first video has a key jingle at the beginning so you can adjust your speakers to the correct output. Neighbors are already asking what kind of V8 it is.

I was advised by a knowledgeable Grand Prix owner that running a 3800SC without an exhaust risks burning a valve. I'm not usre exactly why but it sounds like the engine neds some back pressure to avoid running lean and hot.

Kinda back on topic....We did just trade in our V6 boat for a V8, will be looking forward to the V8 sound again.

Pete

Pete: Do I see an LS4 Fiero in your future? Heck that should be a piece of cake swap for you to do.

------------------

ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2008 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
If you can hear your exhaust, you aren't going nearly fast enough.

P.S. My mower may not sound like much, but it sure can turn!

------------------

88 Fiero GT - garage ornament
'96 Talon TSi AWD - 11.9 @ 116, sorta broke again
'90 Camaro IROC-Z twin-turbo - sorta broke again
'85 Kawi 750 Turbo - sorta broke still
'95 Kawi GPZ1100 - 10 second daily driver, heh

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 11-19-2008).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2008 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

I was advised by a knowledgeable Grand Prix owner that running a 3800SC without an exhaust risks burning a valve. I'm not usre exactly why but it sounds like the engine neds some back pressure to avoid running lean and hot.

[QUOTE]Kinda back on topic....We did just trade in our V6 boat for a V8, will be looking forward to the V8 sound again.

Pete

Pete: Do I see an LS4 Fiero in your future? Heck that should be a piece of cake swap for you to do.

[/QUOTE]

I have burned a plug antilag'ing before, without any valve damage... i am willing to be his exhaust valves will be just fine.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2008 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I wish I had as much room to build an exhaust as this guy:

http://modifiedcarforums.co...-tarks-tuff-6-a.html
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2008 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

< shakes head and leaves the room >

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock