Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  My $50 Paint Job. (Rustoleum. 56k BEWARE) (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
My $50 Paint Job. (Rustoleum. 56k BEWARE) by Dudeus
Started on: 04-02-2008 10:09 PM
Replies: 294
Last post by: Docs87gt on 11-23-2010 01:07 PM
86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I have a hard time comprehending spending more on a paint job than my car is worth. I may, but I have a very hard time justifying it.
IP: Logged
Dudeus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the complements and defending me guys . Miach, I'm sure the paint job will look great, are you using Safety Red or some other shade?
I'm suprised quick is still around...
Miach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MiachClick Here to visit Miach's HomePageSend a Private Message to MiachDirect Link to This Post
Mine is Sunrise Red, matches perfectly with the deuce. You can also rattle can smaller items but wet sanding is a huge must between layers. So far I have done everything to this car myself, with the exception of needing extra hands to guide the engine / tranny back in the tail end. So I know the feeling of completing something major like this as a DIY. To get some better detail pictures angle the camera more in line with the car and have something darker next to it. Say looking almost strait down the side with a dark colored car sitting next to it. That will show others here what level of detail you are seeing in person. Anyway, good work so far and hope to see the finished product.
NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT Quick:

Hahahaha great example of a car there. Sleeping with the enemy I see ?

There are no enemies.... I have owned 8 fieros and currently do noy have one... i have a vette...prow one of those cars you've don "custom frame-offs on"... I am NOT sleeping with the enemy ...... I'm driving a car... and still reading about fieros and enjoying all cars....
Ohhh.. I even like mustangs, roadster, t-buckets and some.... should I say it...... tuner cars....
geesh.
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
GT quick, when considering another mans paint job, the only thing that matters is that it looks good. BTW, you're the only one on this thread that has caused me to laugh.
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
LOL I guess we should ban HotRod magazine. Maybe we should go burn down the office. Those guys don't know what they're doing, being they featured a roller-painted car in a how-to. Damn, there goes America, now nobody will want to pay for paint. LOL
Seriously, good job there Dudeus! Looks better than my Rustoleum-spraybombed Fiero 10 or so years ago. That looked pretty good, but went on real thin. This should last much longer! And it looks much better than what you started with. (Besides, I like yellow Fieros.)
Foxy Fiero13

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post
ima about to go buy some sand paper for my spoiler, to get redone and possibly some flat black paint. so srry ive been gone for a few days

i missed the big fight
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
I used flat black on the vents and wheels, it looks great. No doubt, your car'll look great.
I love how it looks! Put the 8th coat on tonight, takin all the tape off and puttin her back together cause I have to drive to school tomorrow...
What color you guys think'll look good for my stripe/s? Dark Navy, Midnight Blue, Deep Purple, regular Navy, or some other color?
Foxy Fiero13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post
off set or centered stripe

[This message has been edited by Foxy Fiero13 (edited 04-06-2008).]

Foxy Fiero13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post

Foxy Fiero13

1496 posts
Member since Mar 2008
so i decided to go threw with this and im using flat black matte finsh but i think ima do it in pieces starting with my spoiler then decklid and so on
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
Every time that i see there's been a new post, I get excited thinking it's the waxed pictures. Why am I so "in" to this thread??
PFF
System Bot
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear you're goin through with it! Can't wait to see a matte black...

It will be a centered 6 in stripe with a one inch space on each side then a one in stripe on the outside. Something like this: l lllllll l
Sorry man, waxed pics won't but until the weekend after next. Have to wait for the paint to cure .

[This message has been edited by Dudeus (edited 04-07-2008).]

Foxy Fiero13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post
im so broke right now im having my mother pic me up some materials for this lol
Miach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MiachClick Here to visit Miach's HomePageSend a Private Message to MiachDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MordacP:

Every time that i see there's been a new post, I get excited thinking it's the waxed pictures. Why am I so "in" to this thread??

I have to admit the same thing. Think we are so clued into this thread because it is such a huge step to take with how the car looks. All I can say is I can't wait to see the finished product but I understand wanting to wait for the paint to fully cure.
Philero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post
GT has put a foul taste in my mouth for the business that he runs and would never go to his shop if it were the last place to go (oh wait, that is right, he said he HAD a body shop... maybe he treated his customers the same way he has here!). It is obvious to me that Dudeus has researched a way to use his own blood, sweat, and tears to complete a job that regardless of what you may think or believe, is as good or maybe even better that what you USED TO "offer" at your shop for... um....50 times the price... or more! Get off your high horse and give this guy credit for what he is doing. I am glad to see someone take the path less traveled and definitely more difficult than your idea of the "right way" to come up with results that he is PROUD of and that other's obviously envy.

Get off your soapbox GT, 'cause we have no use for this type of attitude here in this family.

Dudeus, keep it up, because it is people like you that instill confidence and the excitement to move forward with our own dreams!

------------------
Phil
Always trying to create something new!
Philero ~ Phil and his Fiero, melding into one (soon to be my license plate too!)

bomaze

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bomazeSend a Private Message to bomazeDirect Link to This Post
Dudeus keep up the good work!! And post more pics of the results after the 8th coat, I can't wait to see how it turned out.
Miach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MiachClick Here to visit Miach's HomePageSend a Private Message to MiachDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philero:

It is obvious to me that Dudeus has researched a way to use his own blood, sweat, and tears to complete a job that regardless of what you may think or believe, is as good or maybe even better that what you USED TO "offer" at your shop for... um....50 times the price... or more!

That right there speaks volumes! No matter what car you are working on I respect a person who is willing to do just that "blood, sweat, and tears to complete a job".

Very good wording Philero!
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT Quick:

I had a body shop and painted custom frame-off restorations.

You're the kind of guy who wonders WHY a basic paint job should cost 4K and then go ***** about it.

I would hate for other Fiero owners to see this guy's thread and think this is a good idea. The next thing you know there are more roll-on paint jobs and more molested GT's. And people still refuse to believe that Fiero owners are cheap ? This thread is what bad reputations are built on.

Do you know why many Fiero owners ARE Fiero owners? Not because they are cheap, because they are BROKE!!!
I would be willing to bet that half the forum are members whom have very little money, so they bought a sports car they could have for less than 5 grand. Why oh why would you disparage those members for doing what they can with the money they have? I think you need to take a deep breath, step back and look at your fellow man before you decide we are all just cheap asses out to make you look bad.

Do I belitle someone for saving themselves $400 ucks and fixing their PC themselves? Even if the way they did it will make it harder on me the next time? Nope. I understand that most folks these days are broke and cannot afford $400 bucks to have me fix it. And you should be the same way. Not everyone can afford to take their car and spend 4 grand on a paint job. So do not call them cheap because they are broke.

Miach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiachClick Here to visit Miach's HomePageSend a Private Message to MiachDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8Ball:
Do you know why many Fiero owners ARE Fiero owners? Not because they are cheap, because they are BROKE!!!
I would be willing to bet that half the forum are members whom have very little money, so they bought a sports car they could have for less than 5 grand. Why oh why would you disparage those members for doing what they can with the money they have? I think you need to take a deep breath, step back and look at your fellow man before you decide we are all just cheap asses out to make you look bad.

Do I belitle someone for saving themselves $400 ucks and fixing their PC themselves? Even if the way they did it will make it harder on me the next time? Nope. I understand that most folks these days are broke and cannot afford $400 bucks to have me fix it. And you should be the same way. Not everyone can afford to take their car and spend 4 grand on a paint job. So do not call them cheap because they are broke.

I wouldn't go as far as to say folks are broke but I do agree they know the concept of money and priorities. Many people these days live paycheck to paycheck and do not want to plop down 2-4 months worth of income to have a 20+ year old car painted. Then folks like Dudeus come along and show people there is a way to have a nice looking car with minimal cost. Yes it takes longer than a body shop, yes you have to go through more work to make it look good, and yes the labor cost would be technically higher. But it is your own labor and it is going to look as good as the effort you put into it.

Kind of on but off topic, I broke a tooth friday night and made a dental visit this morning. Tooth is infected thats why it broke, yada yada, I have the entire week off thanks to the meds I'm taking. So guess who is gonna paint his car as well. If you all like I will share my before and after photos also, just be for warned, the car is an MR2. I have yet to find a Fiero in the shape of my liking. I would either like one that needs rebuilt mechanically or cosmetically but not both LoL. Kinda want a fastback GT style too
Foxy Fiero13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post
just got back from home depot and menards THEY BOTH DONT HAVE 600 grit + sandpaper!!!!! this angers me all i got was 400g for my wet sanding but i got every thing else i need painting starts sometime by the end of the week i hope
Miach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiachClick Here to visit Miach's HomePageSend a Private Message to MiachDirect Link to This Post
For wet sanding I would recommend either 1000 grit or even 1000 and 2000 grit papers. You can also find this paper in the automotive section of Wal-Mart and some auto parts stores. They are black in color with a more material type backing instead of the paper type backing. You can also use a mild soapy solution to help keep things wet and keep sanded debris away from your area of sanding. Hope this helps some.

[This message has been edited by Miach (edited 04-07-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
hklvette

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hklvetteSend a Private Message to hklvetteDirect Link to This Post
An advantage to for painting a Fiero hasn't been mentioned here yet...

Because the body is glassed, you can drive the car unpainted. Sure it'll be ugly as sin, but it also means you won't be walking.

BTW Dudeus, outstanding job! Don't worry about the naysayers. As it is in racing, there's ALWAYS someone faster and with more money. Kudos for showing how people with more time than money can get the job done and it come out looking pretty good.
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Foxy Fiero13:

just got back from home depot and menards THEY BOTH DONT HAVE 600 grit + sandpaper!!!!! this angers me all i got was 400g for my wet sanding but i got every thing else i need painting starts sometime by the end of the week i hope

Dude you don't want to wet sand to get your final gloss or finish with 400 grit. That would go for ANY paint PPG or Rustoleum. I wouldn't even use 400 to do my initail cut in for color sanding. Once you move on to color from primer the 400 gritt goes away. I would do some runs around town and make sure you get some 800 grit, 1000, 1500, and even 2000. After you work up to 2000 your buffing with a good rubbing compound will be easy and you will have less chance of buffing an edge since it will be super smooth it will just need to be polished out. Just trying to save you some time and heart ache.

Dudeus, I have shot every paint known to man and if the Rustoleum works for you, go for it. See you at Hooters on Sunday hehehehe.
Foxy Fiero13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curlrup:

Dude you don't want to wet sand to get your final gloss or finish with 400 grit. That would go for ANY paint PPG or Rustoleum. I wouldn't even use 400 to do my initail cut in for color sanding. Once you move on to color from primer the 400 grit goes away. I would do some runs around town and make sure you get some 800 grit, 1000, 1500, and even 2000. After you work up to 2000 your buffing with a good rubbing compound will be easy and you will have less chance of buffing an edge since it will be super smooth it will just need to be polished out. Just trying to save you some time and heart ache.

i didnt mean that i was gonna wet sand with the 400 grit... i meant was i got 400 grit to sand and couldnt find and thing greater then 400 grit home depot was out of 600 grit and didnt carry anything higher and menards didnt either so idk i dont have much gas so ima run to the hardware store across the street to see whats the highest they have i think they have 1000 grit hopefully
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
Surprisingly rustoleum doesn't cause any imperfections if you were to use a base / clear over top of it. It actually works very similar to primer and sticks well to metal cars. (I'm not sure about plastic panels though)...
Miach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MiachClick Here to visit Miach's HomePageSend a Private Message to MiachDirect Link to This Post
It is sticking extremely well to my plastic mirrors. Road tested for the past 1000 miles and still perfect with no clear coat on em. That includes highway speeds of 70+ behind all sorts of vehicles. My final coat didn't need to be wet sanded or cleared they came out perfect so they stayed that way.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Has anyone else done this with their Fiero or another car? I would like to see how someone else turned out. Pictures? I have painted a racecar several times with a rattle can and I have impressed myself with the results, especially since I bought the $0.97 spray paint at Wal*Mart.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
doing it atm with a friends formula

estimated 100 hrs work i guess but painting looks far better than my first "real" paintjob year ago
no noses easy to paint with an roller

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE
1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX LPG

*** nuclear winter cures global warming ***

Miach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MiachClick Here to visit Miach's HomePageSend a Private Message to MiachDirect Link to This Post
Looking Awesome!
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Foxy Fiero13:

i didnt mean that i was gonna wet sand with the 400 grit... i meant was i got 400 grit to sand and couldnt find and thing greater then 400 grit home depot was out of 600 grit and didnt carry anything higher and menards didnt either so idk i dont have much gas so ima run to the hardware store across the street to see whats the highest they have i think they have 1000 grit hopefully

Ok my bad, just making sure your paint looks top knotch when your done.
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
Damn, that orange is lookin good.

Hey curl, did your car get raped by that hail last night?

Thanks again for all the compliments. Today I did some touch up/peeled some more tape off, I'll have pics of pre-stripe but after the 8th coat tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by Dudeus (edited 04-08-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Foxy Fiero13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post
went and found my 1000 and 2000 grit sand paper hope to start my spoiler soon
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dudeus:

Damn, that orange is lookin good.

Hey curl, did your car get raped by that hail last night?

Thanks again for all the compliments. Today I did some touch up/peeled some more tape off, I'll have pics of pre-stripe but after the 8th coat tomorrow.

The Fiero did just fine......the Mustang received a few small pings. Now my wife doesn't want to spend the $500 deductable to have them removed.....darn it. I love my Mustang almost as much as my Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Curlrup (edited 04-09-2008).]

sYkboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sYkboySend a Private Message to sYkboyDirect Link to This Post

I love my Mustang almost as much as my Fiero.

BLASPHEMY!!!

I may have to try my hand at this. Thanks for the info.
kyp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kypSend a Private Message to kypDirect Link to This Post
i did this paint job on my crx in the middle of the winter and i just got pics of the girl outside all clean and shiny. i have to say it looks good for a 50$ paint job. i like it, im planing on doind this to my super 7 replica once it is finished, which is when i have the cash. but heres some pics

and i gotta prevent all the honda bashers she has got some power in her 5 bucks for the 1st person that can tell me the motor. i am a honda fan i love to see the looks on peoples faces when they get beat by a "shitty" crx.

Leafy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeafySend a Private Message to LeafyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kyp:

i did this paint job on my crx in the middle of the winter and i just got pics of the girl outside all clean and shiny. i have to say it looks good for a 50$ paint job. i like it, im planing on doind this to my super 7 replica once it is finished, which is when i have the cash. but heres some pics

and i gotta prevent all the honda bashers she has got some power in her 5 bucks for the 1st person that can tell me the motor. i am a honda fan i love to see the looks on peoples faces when they get beat by a "shitty" crx.

Is that an H22 from a Lude?
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
H22
Very nice looking CRX
kyp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kypSend a Private Message to kypDirect Link to This Post
yah shes my baby right now it is my 2nd one and this one is my budgit build. but where are thos wax pics damnit i wanna see what yellow looks like? sorry for the hijack now back on topic.
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post

The Fiero did just fine......the Mustang received a few small pings. Now my wife doesn't want to spend the $500 deductable to have them removed.....darn it. I love my Mustang almost as much as my Fiero.

What year/kind of stang? Is that your dd or is your Fiero?

8th coat pics will be uploaded momentarily. Btw, that Honda looks pretty good.

[This message has been edited by Dudeus (edited 04-09-2008).]

Miach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiachClick Here to visit Miach's HomePageSend a Private Message to MiachDirect Link to This Post
I am not a Honda fan but I know a hot car when I see one. Fiber hood or painted as well? Your engine bay makes me want to go outside and clean mine again LoL. Looks very sharp even for a Honda LoL, my best friend drives an Integra so I give him crap all the time. See I think we can all get along, even us Toyota and Honda folks do it all the time
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock