Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Pipe Dreaming New Ideas for the "Stock" crowd using a the "Z" window (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Pipe Dreaming New Ideas for the "Stock" crowd using a the "Z" window by madcurl
Started on: 10-22-2006 02:05 PM
Replies: 48
Last post by: SMTHGT on 09-22-2010 09:50 AM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2006 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Question, questions, and more questions. Would a 350Z rear window look "good" on a Stock (bubble top) Fiero? We know how it looks on the Finale but, what about using a smaller size rear window such as "The 350Z's" rear window. What are some of the benifits by using a "Z" window? No obstruction, turbo or supercharging, chrome "kingdom" for visuals under the glass.

Example of a nice Finale using a rear glass (I forgot which one is used)

Maybe a few good photoshop people can lend a hand? This just a "pipe dream" at best, so let's not go out on the deep end.

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it ever is the real car. Make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can be a reality."

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2006 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Thread...DOA? Hehe.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-23-2006).]

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2006 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
Im working on PS, but It would be nice to know the measurement for acuracy sake. It lloks liek a 300zx window is the right xhape to fit right in the buttressess

EDIT 300zx not 200zx, typo

[This message has been edited by FieroWannaBe (edited 10-23-2006).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2006 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

Im working on PS, but It would be nice to know the measurement for acuracy sake. It lloks liek a 200zx window is the right xhape to fit right in the buttressess

Hmm. i think they're H44"x W36"?

A better rear end to work with.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-23-2006).]

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2006 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post

------------------
PROJECT 1986 GT Stormbringer

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2006 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post

FieroWannaBe

2289 posts
Member since Oct 2004
Just a start hopefully some better ones later

this was a 300zx window.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2006 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Just a start hopefully some better ones later

this was a 300zx window.

Ahh. The 350Z window. Sorry.

trots

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2006 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotsSend a Private Message to trotsDirect Link to This Post
One of the reasons I wanted a fiero is because of the shape of the back. I think its one of the nicest features on the fiero, and its what sets it apart from most cars on the road. Covering it with a window takes that all away.

------------------

Saber49

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2006 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by trots:

One of the reasons I wanted a fiero is because of the shape of the back. I think its one of the nicest features on the fiero, and its what sets it apart from most cars on the road. Covering it with a window takes that all away.

agreed... if you add that rear window you start to look like a Dodge Daytona or Laser from the late 80's early 90's... it just doesn't look unique anymore....

------------------

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
You know, it might be interesting to post up some dimensions of different back windows that might work in Fieros.

I'm sure many Fiero owners have other cars that have back windows, it would be interesting if they would post dimensions of them.

Here are the dimensions of the 350Z rear window.

Archie
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trots:

agree'd the only way my rear will change is the choptop. The things I don'y like about the gt raer the front bumper, lack of scoop on the left side and the dash, other than that the only things that will change on mine is the engine and sides if I decide to make a wider body.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 01-07-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2006 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Today,I was at the beach and a brand new Lexus sport coupe was parked next to me. I reviewed the rear window possible pipe dream II. The window look pretty wide and maybe too big? Does anyone know the specs of a 2006 Lexus 430(?) coupe?
Jermz238

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jermz238Send a Private Message to Jermz238Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Today,I was at the beach and a brand new Lexus sport coupe was parked next to me. I reviewed the rear window possible pipe dream II. The window look pretty wide and maybe too big? Does anyone know the specs of a 2006 Lexus 430(?) coupe?

isnt the SC430 a convertible? thats the only lexus coupe i know of to exist
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jermz238:

isnt the SC430 a convertible? thats the only lexus coupe i know of to exist

hardtop convert
AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post

Lovely. Got anymore pics of that?

Too bad I have a notchy because a back window would be ubersweet.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I went "shopn' for glass" today. I came upon a Scion hatchback but the glass was too wide. Nice curve but it was 47" across and 18" height (ruffly---38" is the max width for glass hatchback Fiero). The next stop....Madza

Maybe something that's 38" wide and 24" height?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-25-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I did some measuring of a Prism rear window mod I've been eye balling. The window measures 44" across and 24" height.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
a little info on window sizes, thewidth between buttresses is about 44" to 52" it increases to the rear, but those are very rough measures.
I had discussed using louvers from 80's hatchback cars a while ago
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-1-057561.html
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
LOL I'm actually picturing Curly sneaking up to random cars in parking lots, and pulling out his paper measuring tape to measure all these cars back windows.

I wish I could record some of these visions to show everybody.

Brad
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

LOL I'm actually picturing Curly sneaking up to random cars in parking lots, and pulling out his paper measuring tape to measure all these cars back windows.

I wish I could record some of these visions to show everybody.

Brad

I keep one of those metal roll-out spools in the car. Just in case I get a chance to measure a car's rear window. The Prism was a co-workers car so it was okay. Ohterwise, I usually head to the local dealerships' lot.

a little info on window sizes, thewidth between buttresses is about 44" to 52" it increases to the rear, but those are very rough measures.
I had discussed using louvers from 80's hatchback cars a while ago
]

The key is to use the 350Z rear 38.5" window as a reference point. Archie move in the pillers on #020, therefor 38.5 to 40" should be the size to look for.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-25-2007).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Question, questions, and more questions. Would a 350Z rear window look "good" on a Stock (bubble top) Fiero?

Not going into any indepth stuff but that term really makes me grit my teeth. Pretty derogatory IMO. just had to get that off my chest. I only see the Chop Top Guys using it so I'm guessing it's a way of one uping those "Stock" folks that don't say good things about Chop Tops. No intention of starting a flame war, but if I'm wincing everytime I read it, I'm sure others are also.

Then again, it could be just me.
------------------
Ron
Land of the Free because of the Brave. Most gave some, some gave all. Some ran the other way.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 03-25-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
JCL86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCL86GTClick Here to visit JCL86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to JCL86GTDirect Link to This Post

Example of a nice Finale using a rear glass (I forgot which one is used)

That has got to be the cooooolest Finale back end Ihave seen so far. Is there a build thread, can those tail lights be purchased as part of the kit?????
JOhn ><>

------------------
86 GT 2.8L Auto
My humble web site - Click Here

ChaoticMav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChaoticMavSend a Private Message to ChaoticMavDirect Link to This Post
Those are Bonneville lights, they had to custom fit the lights, I can't not remember where the thread is though.
Scurvy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2007 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScurvySend a Private Message to ScurvyDirect Link to This Post
I think putting rear glass on an otherwise stock fiero would be too 3rd gen f-body for my liking. Rear glass only looks cool on a heavily modded fiero, IMHO
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Nearly two years later a stock top fastback will have a 350Z rear window in a few weeks. Funny how pipe dreams do come true.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
kinda kills the ability to do extra fun activity's on warm summer nights with your significant other if you put a window there.

looks good though

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 01-05-2009).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Occassionally. Happy now?
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoDirect Link to This Post

Wow! Nearly two years later a stock top fastback will have a 350Z rear window in a few weeks. Funny how pipe dreams do come true.

I have a feeling I know whos car your talking about.
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Those bonny tail lights kick ass.
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoDirect Link to This Post
I think there is another guy doing a rear window type set-up, I remember seeing pictures somewhere but can't remeber where. Anybody know?
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Guy here in Florida has been working on a bolt on kit for stock fast backs.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/072666.html

WE HAVE A HATCH BACK! $750.00 + Shipping & Handling (Does not come with glass) Shipping price coming soon along with paypal addy. **In stock ready to ship**

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Guy here in Florida has been working on a bolt on kit for stock fast backs.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/072666.html
[QUOTE]
WE HAVE A HATCH BACK! $750.00 + Shipping & Handling (Does not come with glass) Shipping price coming soon along with paypal addy. **In stock ready to ship**

[/QUOTE]

I like this piece. It sure would be a lot cheaper than designing & making my own. However, I'd like to see a lot more detail.

What rear window is needed?

Do the hinges come with it? If not, what hinges does it use & how are they attached to the chassis?

What does it look like underneath & thru the rear window?

Is there steel reinforcement inside the fiberglass for the hinges to bolt to?

I'm not crazy about the recesses for the wing mounting & what I can see of the louvers on either side but it would be easier to modify this one than to make my own from scratch.

Need more details & more pictures.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 01-07-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
IMO the hatch glass 300Z in FL is a "start," but it lacks the items needed to make it work. Starting with the 300Z glass.

1. IMO regardless of the side vents the 300Z glass is flat and will appear as a "add-on."
2. Due to the glass being flat, it follow the shape of the roof.
3. Lacks a contured shape thus a broad view from the rear (picture a women w/o hips).

The plus side is;

1. You got something to work with.
2. Time saved in tweaking it.
2. If you're content with "as-is" then roll with it.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 01-07-2009).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Before I got my second money pit I was going to get one. I just wanted the vents inverted so they didn't stick up past the body lines.
The wing stand indentations don't look good with out the wing installed, they probably look OK with a wing installed.

I haven't seen one in person yet.
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Anyone ever thought of using a fiero sunroof glass? You know the curve and width would be correct. Lenght is probably a bit short though. Might be worth a look since you probably have one lying around.

EDIT: Other ideas...
http://robson.m3rlin.org/cars/porsche-targa/
http://www.bimmerfest.com/f...wthread.php?t=324302
http://www.bidernet.com/198...n_id,auction_details

This last one in particular. 91 CRX hatch
http://yhst-1408381693991.s...t/usjdmcrx88913.html

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 01-07-2009).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

Anyone ever thought of using a fiero sunroof glass? You know the curve and width would be correct. Lenght is probably a bit short though. Might be worth a look since you probably have one lying around.

Actualy I have thought of it, just havent had a chance to hold one up to the back of the car.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Actualy I have thought of it, just havent had a chance to hold one up to the back of the car.

Originally posted by exoticse:

No comments ? Hmmm well how's about a few pics of a mock up for this car's next mod ?

Note, the car pictured is not Madcurl's choptop #20 but rather his choptop #15.
This mod will be going on choptop #20.

As demonstrated, a sun roof glass is about the right size for such a modification, but seriously you'd need a custom glass (same size) w/o the unwanted holes, tint, and most importantly a choptop. Using that size leaves a lot of space left over on a bubble top.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 01-07-2009).]

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

As demonstrated, a sun roof glass is about the right size for such a modification, but seriously you'd need a custom glass (same size) w/o the unwanted holes, tint, and most importantly a choptop. Using that size leaves a lot of space left over on a bubble top.

If you really had to do it on a budget the tint could be removed and the holes filled. At the same time since you have a piece to base it off of having a new piece made wouldn't be that much. Hmm. I've got several of these lying around.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

If you really had to do it on a budget the tint could be removed and the holes filled. At the same time since you have a piece to base it off of having a new piece made wouldn't be that much. Hmm. I've got several of these lying around.

Actually, the Toyota Prism rear hatch was my next option verses the stock glass sun roof. I'm not 100% sure, but the Prism glass has is greater curvature thus eliminating the flat appearance. You could then use the glass a template.
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I've also wondered if something with a rear defogger would be the way to go. Not enough hatch fieros out there to know if fogging up is a real problem or not. It rains alot here (near 275 days a year). This makes the windows fog up all the time and usually have to run the heater to keep it clear. I would hate to lose the view out the back. The heat inside the car would be isolated from the hatch so thats no help. Does the engine heat tend to keep that in check?

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 01-08-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock