Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Pipe Dreaming New Ideas for the "Stock" crowd using a the "Z" window (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Pipe Dreaming New Ideas for the "Stock" crowd using a the "Z" window by madcurl
Started on: 10-22-2006 02:05 PM
Replies: 48
Last post by: SMTHGT on 09-22-2010 09:50 AM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Info anyone?

Originally posted by Archie:
I like this piece. It sure would be a lot cheaper than designing & making my own. However, I'd like to see a lot more detail.

What rear window is needed?

Do the hinges come with it? If not, what hinges does it use & how are they attached to the chassis?

What does it look like underneath & thru the rear window?

Is there steel reinforcement inside the fiberglass for the hinges to bolt to?

I'm not crazy about the recesses for the wing mounting & what I can see of the louvers on either side but it would be easier to modify this one than to make my own from scratch.

Need more details & more pictures.

Archie

IP: Logged
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Info anyone?

Quickest way would be to PM JimmyS
If the creator is at the meeting Saturday I will ask if he has more pictures and see if he can send you them.
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Info anyone?

Here is a link to their website. Still in the process of being built but you can contact through e-mail also. Currently all items (except hatch) are listed under bumpers tab. Hatch is not on site and I can't find the thread here.
http://fierofiberglass.com/
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Actually, the Toyota Prism rear hatch was my next option verses the stock glass sun roof. I'm not 100% sure, but the Prism glass has is greater curvature thus eliminating the flat appearance. You could then use the glass a template.

So--You are suggesting the use of a Prism rear hatch, which you say has more curvature than a stock Fiero, yet you dare call a stock Fiero a "bubbletop"?
What do you intend to refer to this "new & improved" high curvature version? I suppose it will be something less derogatory, since it will be a modification, even tho it will now look even more bubble like, than the stock vehicles you spend so much time trying to make disappear--even those who belong to other people. You know--"those" (ugh) people.

Pipe Dreaming New Ideas for the "Stock" crowd

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-10-2009).]

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

You know, it might be interesting to post up some dimensions of different back windows that might work in Fieros.

I'm sure many Fiero owners have other cars that have back windows, it would be interesting if they would post dimensions of them.

Here are the dimensions of the 350Z rear window.

Archie

Curl... I was stuck in traffic by a new(ish) Maxima today... I kept picturing it on a true fastback Fiero... in my head... it looked good

http://www.nissanusa.com/ma...tos/exterior-photos/

that's the '09... I think I was beside an '07, and its' curve looked a lot more suitable. From straight back it almost looks flat, but I think that is an illusion of how it is mounted... kinda flush at the top. and then recessed into the car towards the bottom. A decent looking curve in there.

------------------
<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?

madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2009 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

Curl... I was stuck in traffic by a new(ish) Maxima today... I kept picturing it on a true fastback Fiero... in my head... it looked good

http://www.nissanusa.com/ma...tos/exterior-photos/

that's the '09... I think I was beside an '07, and its' curve looked a lot more suitable. From straight back it almost looks flat, but I think that is an illusion of how it is mounted... kinda flush at the top. and then recessed into the car towards the bottom. A decent looking curve in there.

I saw the newer Nissan too and the rear window was similar, but I think it's too wide for our Fiero (I didn't measure it). Granted, as time moves forward with newer cars being built we might find another option vs the 350Z window. For now, IMO it's the best one so far.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2009 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by maryjane:

So--You are suggesting the use of a Prism rear hatch, which you say has more curvature than a stock Fiero, yet you dare call a stock Fiero a "bubbletop"?
What do you intend to refer to this "new & improved" high curvature version? I suppose it will be something less derogatory, since it will be a modification, even tho it will now look even more bubble like, than the stock vehicles you spend so much time trying to make disappear--even those who belong to other people. You know--"those" (ugh) people.

I think you've thinking too hard over the subject here. First off; I'm referring to the Prism's rear hatch glass which is a bit larger than our Fiero sun roof glass. The "extra" curviture needed would (IMO) allow for a hour glass shape from viewing the Fiero from the back (in other words pulling in the waist line). It's mainly a visual appearance in theory for the roof remains the same, but I suspect you'd need to actually involve yourself in perfroming a few visuals vs being a doubting Thomas. Remember, "a imagination is a terrible thing to waste." Oh yeah, the wording "bubble top" wasn't originally coined by me, but was borrowed from others here on this forum. I just like to use it more than others.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 08-08-2009).]

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2009 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
So pick one up from a junk yard... Test fit. Heck you might be able to ask them at the yard if they mind a test fit and if it doesn't work... Just return it.

Edit... not sure how it would work but i did notice the rear glass on a honda crx looks almost like it would fit nice.

[This message has been edited by Finally_Mine_86_GT (edited 08-08-2009).]

SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L-V8
SmoothGT-II

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors