Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Designing a new dash need a few ideas (Page 26)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
Previous Page | Next Page
Designing a new dash need a few ideas by OH10fiero
Started on: 11-01-2002 11:37 AM
Replies: 1031
Last post by: IMSA GT on 09-20-2010 01:12 PM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by OH10fiero:

jscott1,

(for starters i'm a buddy of OH10fiero and i'm currently using his login at work); also i do not own a fiero at the moment. i'm attempting to 'retrofit' my 87 Iroc with a 01 camaro ss gauge cluster. i've noticed that you were doing the conversion to your fiero and figured i'd ask you some questions. as a bit of background; it's a 87 Iroc camaro with the 305 tpi v8 and had the mech. speedometer. i was thinking (and here lies the question) would i be able to run a 8k signal generator to a 'dakota digital' speedometer signal interface, the signal interface would step down the ppm to 4k ppm and 2k ppm. the 4k would run to the 01 cluster and the 2k would 'emulate' the vss and supply the computer with the much needed 2k ppm input. i understand that the odometer would be incorrect for my camaro and that half of the 'dummy lights' on the 01 cluster would not apply, however that is perfectly fine my me. i could always find a gauge shop to 'calibrate' the odometer. moreover, my question is, do you believe that this setup would work? thanks.

Short answer is that most everything you said sounds like it will work to me.

Longer answer is that you might be able to get away with a single 4K signal generator and use a Fiero speedometer as your divide by two circuit to get the 2K signal. (the '87 IROC may have one as well, but since I've never seen one, I would be guessing). With this setup you would not need the dakota digital SGI-5, (which I find to be very noisy and causes your needle to occasionally bounce all over the place).

I have reservations about the '01 cluster though...assuming it's the same as the '01 Firebird cluster, (and I'm pretty sure it is) that cluster is all digital and it's not going to work with the analog senders in your car without a microprocessor controlled interface to drive the needles. Riceburner 98 was working on one just for fun, but I don't think it would be cost effective for him to build and sell them.

And easier solution is to get a 93-97 cluster. They are known to work with all the analog senders that are in your car.

As for the dummy lights, it's simple to re-map them to be whatever you want them to be. You will have extras but just ignore them.
IP: Logged
Sharkman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2010 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
Finally some news from my build.
Europe # 1 choptop

Placed an order for a Custom Firebird Gauge overlay with Fiero Pegasus and SHARKMAN instead of KPH
http://6litereaterdesigns.c...5_77&products_id=102
Something like this

And new doors are coming along. The car will be on a big show here in Sweden soon.

Finally, this is try #4. The other doors have not been good...

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
Europe # 1 choptop
http://www.fieroforum.se/fo...=1342&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
http://www.fieroforum.se/fo...topic.php?f=10&t=173

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 03-01-2010).]

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2010 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
More...

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2010 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sharkman:

Finally some news from my build.
Europe # 1 choptop

Great Progress... What are those door panels from? They seem like a good fit despite the fact that you have to completely redo the bottom half.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
They are from a Volvo S60. A good fit that will leave room for the E-brake.

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 03-03-2010).]

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post

Sharkman

804 posts
Member since May 2004
Also going to make a new cover for the dash front

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
26 days to the Elmia show... and my car have to be ready http://www.custommotorshow.se/

Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' Good man!
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2010 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
Some material for the doors and center consol I picked up today

Blue/black, sorry for the bad picture
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2010 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post

Sharkman

804 posts
Member since May 2004
The roof got out and a I made 0,5 liter of resin for the first side. I will do the same on the other side before I can get the roof back to 1 piece.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
New center consol coming together. I changed my mind by using MDF wood. Fiberglass is better...

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 03-10-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingDirect Link to This Post

New center consol coming together. I changed my mind by using MDF wood. Fiberglass is better...

Hey! A cup holder? Awesome idea! You're doing some amazing work - keep those pics coming
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, the interior and the hole car need to be ready before April 1...
I might make a Sharkman Interior Thread with more pics after that
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post

Brake light gone and will be placed on the outside

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 03-22-2010).]

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2010 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
Man I am proud of my work

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
Europe # 1 choptop
http://www.fieroforum.se/fo...=1342&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
http://www.fieroforum.se/fo...topic.php?f=10&t=173

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2010 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
Slick!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2010 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Agreed...the door panels, console and dash filler panel are all nice.

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2010 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingDirect Link to This Post

Man I am proud of my work

You should be! The door panel looks fantastic. Take more pics from different angles so we see the details of your work.

LOOKING GOOD!
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2010 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post

Are these angles OK...
The blue area is not fitted on the back yet

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 03-30-2010).]

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2010 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingDirect Link to This Post
NICE. Keep those build pics coming
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post

Just waiting for the custom gauge overlay
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Just waiting for the custom gauge overlay

Nice touch on the a/c vents. That looks real nice.

IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
that is god like. do you plan on reproducing to sell??? those door panels are wow.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
No reproduction of these parts, sorry.

I will make them for my second choptop as well but not for anyone else

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 04-07-2010).]

IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
i figure it couldn't hurt to ask.
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
My own design. Only Fiero/Trans Am overlay in the world
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

My own design. Only Fiero/Trans Am overlay in the world

NICE! Can you do one in MPH?
Gandalf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GandalfSend a Private Message to GandalfDirect Link to This Post
TTT
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2010 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gandalf:

TTT

This one really needs to go in Construction Zone.
Jets303

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jets303Send a Private Message to Jets303Direct Link to This Post
Im sorry if I missed this throughout the thread but is the op still making wiring harnesses for the trans am plug and play into the fiero?
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

This one really needs to go in Construction Zone.

I think you are right
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock